FJR vs. Super Tenere question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack

Reaction score
I haven't posted in some time and no longer have my 05 FJR.Thinking about selling my 04 VMax and getting either a 14 FJR, or 14 Tenere.

Wanted some Forum feedback on which one is a more comfortable distance machine and any members overall take comparing the two.

I understand these are very different bikes, but would still value feedback from here.

All of my riding is on road, so no issue there.

Thanks.

Jack.

I own both. I ride the Tenere most of the time when doing around town, day trips and of course dirt. I take the FJR when I want to go far and fast. Did a 640 mile ride last weekend and took the FJR, heading to Vintage days next month (4400 miles) and I'll be on the FJR. But, much depends on personal preference, body style and riding style.

The best advice I could offer would be to have a very clear set of objectives. Both incredible bikes that will do just about anything you ask of them, but you'll want to have the best tool for the job. You've had an FJR, so there's not much I could tell you about that, but try to take the Tenere for a good ride to see how it suits you. Don't give too much weight to the stock seat. You'll be changing that if you plan to spend much time on it. I know people who prefer a Tenere to an FJR. I have both and wouldn't want to do without either. Different tools for different jobs. Even though you plan to spend all of your time on the road, one has to ask 'which roads?'

Have owned my FJR for 5 years. Test rode the Tenre a while back.

The Tenre: I was disappointed with the acceleration above 4500. Power begins to taper as ya reach higher RPMs. FJR seems to match if not exceed at low RPMs, but once ya wind them both up a little, there's no comparison. It was very disappointing for me. Wind protection: no comparison: advantage FJR. General feel: Tenre is a little more top heavy, suspension isn't as plush, vibration is just as "present" but has a lower frequency. I was so happy to get back on the FJR after the test ride. Cranked up the throttle to make sure my first impression was right, and indeed, the FJR has a serious extra kick at higher RPMs that the Tenre just doesn't have. Then it's hard to argue with the electric windshield, it's wonderful.

Gary

darksider #44

I have one of each. Wouldn't hesitate to take the FJR or Tenere across the country tomorrow...or spend a month(s) touring on it.

The FJR is my smooth road, gotta make a lot of miles road burner. OTOH, my Tenere is my rough road, stop & smell the roses north of the border machine.

It's great to have both of these fine bikes!!

--G

I too own both bikes.

Fit is very important. If you are a tall guy then the Tenere may be the bike for you.

The stock seat does suck but I have managed a 750 mile day on it. Today if I were to go long distance it would be on my FJR do to the heated grips and cruise control as my 2012 Tenere does not have those features.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the good info. I am surprised at the number of you who have both bikes.

Sounds like a 14 FJR in my near future.

I don't know at this point if I will even bother test riding the Tenere.

Jack,

you should really test ride the Super T. It is an amazing machine. I had a 2013. Great for long distances, super stable in slow stuff, rips 140km/h on gravel easily. Two -up on gravel roads is also fun. I miss it and wish I could have both in the stable. The riding position is very different to the FJR, more upright and feet are a bit more forward. I found the stock seat fine, whereas I am replacing the stock seat on my FJR. YMMV as always.

Rod

I agree with every answer you got but I will add this:

There is a HUGE difference between your old '05 Gen1 and the new Gen3. Yamaha made some wonderful refinements to the FJR.

I have ridden both and could be completely happy with both. I wish I had the money and the stable space to have both.

Having road both, purely from a comfort standpoint, the one major difference between the two is the peg to seat distance. I am 50 and the one thing that the FJR gets me on is the knees start cramping a bit because of the seat to peg relationship (more sporty). Most adventure bikes, including the S10 have more forward pegs and the distance is greater which to me, translates into more long term comfort. That being said I love my 14 FJR and it can definutely tear up some miles! :)

I'm on my fourth FJR and second Tenere. Im lucky to own both and would hate to have to choose one or the other. The FJR is the bike I usually take for trips since most of my trips are FJR events. The Tenere is the bike i normally grab for commuting to work or running erronds. I'm going to break that trend tomorrow and take the Tenere to MO for Hooterville this weekend. You can't go wrong with either bike but the FJR really turns my crank if I don't plan on leaving the pavement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disclaimer. I love my FJR. So any other (affordable) bike in my opinion (including my new FJ-09) is something less. For the type of ridiong I do, the FJR is king.

I test rode a Tenere last fall when Scooter was in the area with the Yamaha demo truck. I liked the S10, very competent bike but the motor was to 'agricultural' in performance. No real get up and go at the higher revs like the in-line 4 of the FJR. I can ride my FJR 600 miles day after day and feel fresh. I don't know how the S10 would be in that category but plenty of folks here use the S10 for long distance work too.

With the Russell saddle it expands the seat to peg distance and I have plenty of leg room (6'0") on the FJR.

I also rode a 2014 FJR ES at that demo event. It was like butter. When it comes time to retire my 2005 FJR, I'm pretty sure I'll be shopping for a 2014+ES.

I am late to this party, but i have had a 2007 FJR since 2010 and out of curiosity bought a 2013 S10 just over a month ago. Yes the FJR has more power and is faster, however 56 yo and 6'-1" the Tenere is the more comfortable machine. With a change of windscreen, the Tenere has good wind protection but probably not quite as good as the FJR with a Rifle windscreen. With the handguards and the wide tank, there is very little wind on my hands and legs.

Just over a week ago, I rode 676 km (420 miles) in very cool weather. I considered the FJR but decided to ride the Tenere. I was fine and at my height find the Tenere more comfortable for long distance riding than the FJR. It has me wondering if perhaps i should sell the FJR come spring, but lets not get too hasty.

cheers,

Phil

I have both and intend to keep it that way.
This Kevin agrees with the other Kevin.
smile.png

Well as a Kevin I would like both, just because it would be nice to live in both worlds. I have a few hundred miles of gravel on the 07 and that front tire just isn't the right shoe for the fat Red head. But wouldn't like life with out her (FJR) as she is a good Squeeze. I'm pretty sure the that the S-10 would be a bit jealous of the FJR as the old red head and I just seem to get along. A younger lady would be nice once in awhile. :)