2007 sitting in my garage - need advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrebandit

Reaction score
Guys,

I wrecked one of my other bikes (a bandit) about 2.5 years ago. Needless to say that I took a break from riding and let all my bikes sit for nearly 3 years. They have sat in my garage and I live in central Texas - at least they have not been outside. One of those bikes is my 2007 FJR. Like a dummy, I didn't run or even start it over that time period. Am I screwed? I know I should have at least drained the gas but i didn't even do that, I need some sound advice on my "next steps" to get this bike running again. I'm sure the battery is dead too, so will have to replace that I know.

Dave

Doesn't hurt to try a slow charge on the battery but it is most likely toast. Do a thorough inspection and make sure critters haven't made a home in your airbox or chewed wiring. Check the tires for cracks and air them up. Change oil and filter. Check rear brake pivot and shift linkage. Clutch and brake levers too. Probably needs some general lubrication. Check coolant level - can wait until the next valve check to change. Brake and clutch fluid and you are ready to roll. Drain the gas and fill it maybe halfway plus a half can of Seafoam or some Yamaha Ringfree. Run that until empty and repeat.

I'm betting you won't have any issues.

^^^^^

The only thing I'd add to this excellent advice is for you to consider that the tires are old and hard, so even if they look good, your traction will be reduced. I suspect they'll be fine while you resurrect the bike mechanically, but go ahead and order new shooz now.

Welcome back.

After letting my '04 sit in the garage for 12 months with no gas in the tank, here's what I found....

The results of a mild steel gas tank being exposed to humid, subtropical air for over a year:

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg

Great gawdamighty---did that used to be a fuel pump?
Yep...with about 8 ounces of rust that had flaked off the inside of the tank sucked into the thing.

Put a big handfull of pennies inside the tank along with about16 ounces of C.L.R. and shook the tank around for about 45 minutes.

Left the inside of the tank clean and shiny. But unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the rust until I had ridden the bike for about an hour.

The rust was abrasive enough to ruin the pump. Had to put in another one to get him running, but not until AFTER I had POR'd the inside of tank.

Guys,
I wrecked one of my other bikes (a bandit) about 2.5 years ago. Needless to say that I took a break from riding and let all my bikes sit for nearly 3 years. They have sat in my garage and I live in central Texas - at least they have not been outside. One of those bikes is my 2007 FJR. Like a dummy, I didn't run or even start it over that time period. Am I screwed? I know I should have at least drained the gas but i didn't even do that, I need some sound advice on my "next steps" to get this bike running again. I'm sure the battery is dead too, so will have to replace that I know.

Dave
An '07A in Central Texas? You must be extremely smart and good looking! Do what the folks said above, and you'll be fine.

I have nothing to add, except 07s rule! They are absolutely the worst year model FJR ever made. Everything Yamaha did wrong over the prior years they did again on the 07, plus they doubled-up on the throttle cable pulley error from 06.

Mine has 140,000 miles on her since I brought her home that cold January day in 2007. Oh wait, I lied!

Remove the rear brake pedal, clean and re-grease the bushing. A sticking rear brake produces an entertaining glow at night, but it's boring during the day.

And I can't second the motion enough times to CHANGE THE TIRES. Old rubbers quickly lead to reckless behavior.

Use the old gas to start your next fire when burn season starts. Use all of it at the same time.

My 04 has sat untouched for 6+ years before I could get title from the original owner. He took the seats and tank off to tempve rust inside and never touched it again. I'm chamging all fluids including clutch and brake. New battery installed with tender lead. I have new plugs and filters for her as well. I want to get some slippery into each cylinder before turning her over to save the Rings. Any input on that?

My 04 has sat untouched for 6+ years before I could get title from the original owner. He took the seats and tank off to tempve rust inside and never touched it again. I'm chamging all fluids including clutch and brake. New battery installed with tender lead. I have new plugs and filters for her as well. I want to get some slippery into each cylinder before turning her over to save the Rings. Any input on that?
Assuming it is not "stuck" do to no oil on the rings, remove spark plugs and squirt a little oil in the cylinders. If it turns and stops, chances are good that you have too much oil in there. If so, remove plugs and crank her over to blow out excessive oil. Prepare to have a smokey exhaust if so,. Crank her over to distribute the oil. If frozen, If will take some gentle back and forth persuasion and penetrating oil. If stuck, do not force it as you could break a piston ring or worse. Remember: Nothing in the engine or transmission has been lubricated in some time. Might be worth the time to shut it off when it starts and crank some more. Do not rev it at first. Take your time. You will be rewarded.

For the first turnover after oiling the cylinders, put on the centerstand with the transmission in 5th and turn it over by rotating the rear wheel. (Spark plugs out). Less likely to hurt something compared to a powered turnover. Once oil is distributed you can put the plugs back and try to start it.

Last edited by a moderator: