Epic Colorado Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
2015 Epic Colorado Ride

The most essentials aspects to having a great motorcycle ride may include the following: Good weather, good roads, good scenery, good companions. If all of those are good, you will have a Great ride. Now if any aspect is elevated you may experience an Amazing or Fabulous or Exceptional Ride. And if all aspects are elevated you may experience the Epic Ride.

As is the case with most motorcycle rides, things happen, and the end results may not always be good, but in an Epic Ride these situations tend to enhance the ride and add to the story telling experience. Therefore Epic Rides don't end in a negative note and what may seam to be a negative at the time ends in a positive note. This is the case with this ride.

There is a beginning, many middles, and an ending or even multiple endings. So lets start at the beginning: Bill Flannery came up with the idea to ride to Colorado in August of 2015. He posted his usual 2015 Ride Schedule in January and immediately four people joined the ride. These were Ken Hattan, Ron Clarno, Meylan Thorenson and Tee Wan. All these folks have ridden with each other in the past and have similar ridding styles, so the most essential and often most worrisome ingredient was nil and expectations mounted. From the notice in January to the start in August, there were only 2-4 back and forth emails, no discussions and, not surprisingly on day one, everyone showed up, on time and in the right location. After greetings, I supplied everyone ride directions and then we were off for the 14 day ride to Colorado. On Bill's suggestion, I had plotted a route on Microsoft Streets and Trips and loaded each day on the GPS, and gave each rider a written copy of the route on paper, therefore each rider could deviate or stop for repairs and still end up at the end of the day at the motel noted. At end of day one, full of beer cheer, I was voted the Ride Boss. It must have went well that day as I wanted to share that roll with everyone. We mixed it up a little after day one, per requests, weather and everyone's individual desires and input, but followed the route pretty close.

Pics Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/albums/72157656702933483

Number one request was to keep to two lane roads, so the only four lane roads used were to get from one two lane road to another. On Day 1 we rode across Oregon to Nampa, Idaho. Although we did ride out of Portland on I-84, the Columbia Gorge, a scenic marvel in itself, we exited at Celilo and didn't touch I-84 except for 2 miles just before Nampa. The ride through Oregon was as wonderful as it can be, the roads were in good shape, dry, and only a little road work. The weather was perfect in the morning and just a little warm in the late afternoon. After riding I-84, OR206, OR207, Willow Creek, US395S, Middle Fork John Day, US26E, we took a break in Vale, OR with the temps around 90. We went South out of Vale to Owyhee and back roads to Nampa, ID with overlook views of the Snake River. We ended the days ride at Shilo Inn and ate at Denny's. The Pace was good and we got to Nampa in plenty of time to toast the good day of riding, take care of chain maintenance, clean the windshields and down a few beers before dinner. As on this day and every day afterwards, we would retire around 9 pm and leave the next morning at 7 am sharp. It was like clockwork, out of the motel room around 6:40 to load up the bike and maybe a sip of coffee, then off to the next days adventure.

Leaving Nampa we headed South to the Snake River and US30, the old road, which is kept in modern road good condition. Dropping down to the river as the sun is rising into view, cool morning air, little or just a hint of tail wind, mostly sunny with puffy white clouds, it was as pleasant as can be. It was like starting all over again and the morning was perfect. We were headed for Heber City, Utah and would be following this route: US30S, I-84, I-80, US40. A late breakfast in Glenns Ferry at Hanson's Cafe had us talking to the only other customer and observing the wonders of living in a small community. The phone rang and the cook-waitress answers, while on the other end the local hair dresser is calling to remind the elderly lady, the other customer, about her hair appointment, as it is known that she come to this restaurant everyday for breakfast. Back on the bikes and I-84 to Bliss, then follow US30 and the Snake to Burley, at which time we have no choice but I-84 into Ogden, and into the mountains to Heber City, circumventing Salt Lake. Although still on I-84, this section is full of scenic vistas and at the right pace is both enjoyable and fun. Reaching Heber and our motel, we filled the time with drink and talk about another day of good sites, good roads and interesting people. Then we went to get BBQ across the street.

On day three we headed across Utah to Walden Colorado. Utah is just about the cleanest State I have ever been in. It appears that everyone disposes of their junk and mows their green lawns. Although their population is only ¾ that of Oregon and less than ½ of Washington, they have 12 lanes of traffic going through Salt Lake which is less than ½ the size of Portland. Another highway development noted was that even the smaller communities were well endowed with wide and good roads, lots of passing lanes, and speed limits as high as 85 on freeways and 70 on two lane roads in rural areas, otherwise 80 and 65. 65 in the heart of Salt Lake on I-15 with 5 over very common in the two or three lanes on the left. The scenic beauty on this ride was nice, and the roads were okay, as it was all new to me once we got to the Colorado boarder. The Pace was normally about 8 over and the twisty sections got the group on their edges, even the slow riders. We were on US 40 most of the day with COSR 64 and 13 for awhile. After Steamboat Springs the road got more interesting and with some of us stopping to shop, a catch up pace brought on more spirited riding over Muddy Pass for some that filled our cabin with laughter and excitement related to that 50 mile ride. Walden was a small town, so with ice cream cones in hand we took a long walk to dinner down the side streets and the length of town. A stop a one of the local bars, where we met some of the local folks, brought us to realize how different this place really is, and with 3.50 hard liqueur drinks.

Pulling away from Walden at 7:00am on CO14 headed towards Ft. Collins we passed through the Roosevelt Nat. Forest. For a morning ride it was grand, with river, trees and a nice relaxed twisty road. As we approached Ft. Collins we took a scenic route by Horsetooth Reservoir. This was a surprise as it was extremely scenic and had some very interesting curves as you passed over dam after dam. A quick stop in Ft. Collins for breakfast and then a visit to one of Meylan's friends to fix his FZ-1 motorcycle. We then headed to the Rocky Mountain National Park in the early afternoon. The traffic was terrible but we made it to a high point and took some really nice pictures, then headed back to the East. As the traffic thinned out we were able to actually start feeling the corners and warmed up the tires on CO36. Back at near Estes Park we met up with our 6th rider Brian and then headed to Idaho Springs on CO7, 72 and 119. We spent most of this time in Roosevelt N. F. and Arapaho N. F. on very interesting roads, going through towns with names like Nederland, Central City, and Black Hawk. After settling in at our Argo Inn and toasting the ride, while sitting next to the adjoining river outside one of the rooms. We then walked down the road to the best restaurant in town, BBQ and again sitting outside along the edge of the river sampled all the different BBQ sauces on our dinners. We got a good laugh as we walked back to the motel regarding some of the optional motels we could have stayed at. Someone noted his thoughts as “Oh shit I hope Ken didn't book that motel”, and another said “ F*%$ where am I going to park my bike there” as they were all gravel parking, and we noticed that there weren't any chain hotel/motels.

Idaho Springs is in a good location if you want to venture up to the top of Mt. Evans at 14,240 feet, highest paved road in the U.S. The early morning traffic was just fine as most of the very early morning visitors drove pass the entrance gate unnoticed as the staff hadn't come to work yet. With great vistas and cool temps, we took a hike pass a high mountain lake and to a distance ridge to take in a view you couldn't see from the road. Getting a profession photographer to take our group shot was an added bonus. Back on the road we headed to Pikes Peak. Imagine two fourteen thousand peaks in one day! Our ride took us East on CO103, an exceptional tight twisty road, 74 then US285, county roads through Decker to Woodland Park where we picked up US24 to the entrance to Pikes Peak. After enduring the heavy traffic to the top of Pikes Peak we headed for Cripple Creek by way of CO67. From Crippe Creek we made our way to Canon City by way of CO67 County roads 1, 11 and CO9 and US 50. Canon City provided us with fine dining at the near by Mexican restaurant, filled with mostly Mexicans. We toasted yet another day of great roads, fun riding, fantastic scenery and great friends.

Okay, okay, everyday has special moments, not always know before you take off at 7am to places like Fairplay or Grandby, but finding these or experiencing them is what makes motorcycle riding extra special. Today we left Canon City, skipping the Royal Gorge because they didn't open until 11 am, and headed South through Florence and farmland. Once we started to climb into the mountains and the San Isabel N. F. things got a little more interesting with a vista of the oncoming valley and mountains that was extra special. Turning North we paralleled the Rockies all the way to Johnson Village when we turned on US 24 and headed for Fairplay for breakfast. Back over some mountains and forest to a closed restaurant, but we found an alternative that proved interesting. From Fairplay we headed for the mountains again, this time the special experience of Guanella Pass. Guanella passed just to the West side of Mt Evans and provided us with our only gravel section. Although I had estimated this to be 2 miles via Google Earth, we encountered 10 miles, all up hill and full of washboards and loose gravel new curbs and in progress construction as if it was going to be paved soon. No problems and when we came to the asphalt it was like finally getting to the fridge for that nice cold one on a hot day.

Although not supper exciting, it was special in a different way, as it was our only gravel and we all lived to tell the story. A short stop to regroup and then over the pass and down to Georgetown. We came on Berthoud Pass and there got some real excitement as it is endowed with two lanes up and we practiced full lean in the corners as we passed other vehicles at near double the limit. The slow riders somehow kept up, imagine that. After a break in Fraser we arrived at our destination Grandby. Somehow that wasn't enough, as four of us headed out for Willow Creek Pass and the Continental Divide and back. This excursion was lead by and R-1 and coming back by a FZ-1. Both ways kept my little 850 FJ09 on its toes. Thanks Brian, Meylan and Tee for the fun ride.

Now here is the day I can't remember much. I know it started out really fine with nice twisty roads and then there was this waiting at a stop sign for others to catch up, when this sweet sport bike, sounding like a twin (Ducati), goes by and then three other vehicles pass before our last rider pulled up. As Brian said “It was like the riders cast a line and hooked Ken and started to real him in.” Had to find out if that perfect motorcycle, helmet and leathers was for real. This was one of the highlights as when we caught up we needed to pass a car to play. And we played, and played some more. Other than, we were riding a PACE and that kept us from high digits, the other rider seamed to realize that and would wait for us at the next car he came to, then game was on again. This was on CO131 all the way to I-70. The bike ended up being a 2015 R-1 and the rider was as pumped as we were when we came to the stop sign. Some more good twisties came up as we went over Tennessee Pass and Independence Pass as well as very scenic surrounds. Things kind of slowed, as traffic neared Aspen, and our destination, Carbondale, was a welcome site. More toasting a fine day of riding occurred before we headed across the street to the shinny aluminum clad dinner for diner. How about that, remembered more than I thought.

It only gets better as Day 8 presented us with the smoothest downhill stretch of curvy road, CO133, to Paonia and Hotchkiss. Then CO92 to US50 completed one of the best morning rides on the whole trip. 133 gave us high speed sweepers while 92 gave us tight twisties and Black Canyon scenery that is very hard to surpass anywhere. We had picked up lunch in Hotchkiss to eat along 92 and we found a very special view turnout at Pioneer Point for a picnic. This site provided us with some of the very best scenery on the whole trip, along with a very nice picnic area. After lunch and a little picture taking we were back on 92, which we had just road two times before, back to the Blue Mesa Dam and highway US50. After riding highway 50 through Gunnison and on to Monarch Pass. I always look forward to this pass as it is like Berthoud Pass as it has two lanes up and is very twisty. Bill took the lead and Brian fell in behind and the PACE was Hot, bringing smiles to all as we rolled into the Pass pullout and visitor center. When the spirit is raised and the adrenalin is still in the body, you have to take time to gather and enjoy the feeling. I have to say, it is a great feeling to be able to ride with such accomplished and talented riders that use good judgment and manage speed in corners safely. We turned South at Poncho Springs and headed for the Great Sand Dunes N. P. riding on US295. We landed in Del Norte for the night and stayed at the only motel in town. Although kind of old and run down, we did have a garage to park in and it rained that night. After our usual toast for a great days ride we walked to the other side of town and ate at the best pizza restaurant in town.

As rides go, we were all riding high at Del Norte, friends, roads, sites and weather had all be great, now the events will change and new experiences will develop as we ride West to Lake City. It was cooler this morning and although the sites were awesome, our attention may have been on keeping warm more so than any of the beauty around us. This is a very pretty area and the ride is along a river and nice green valleys, old rail road tracks and hints of little mines. We turn right on CO149 at South Fork and made our way to Creede, where just outside town I pull off at a pull out to make a rest stop. I had to pee. Immediately the front tire slides out to the left and the bike goes down. 5/10th of a second I am on the ground with minor pain in the ankle. After a short while thinking I can ride on, I feel the chilled and light headed. I laid down and the great friends I am riding with take over, calling the Sheriff and an ambulance. Then one follows me to the Hospital and others take my motorcycle to a storage facility. We all meet at the Hospital and wait together for the Doctor to give his verdict. Tee is looking on the net for airplane rides and finds one in 2 ½ hours out of Alamosa to Denver and one from Denver to Portland. Doctor informs us that I have a fibular fracture and that it will need operated on to set. I choose Portland VA and Tee books me the flight. The nurse arranged me a ride to the airport and I was back in Portland by 11pm that night. The rest of the gang waited until I was off to Alamosa and then continued on the ride to Ouray. That story I will leave to those that continued, although they were daily informing me how things were going and I know that they continued to enjoy the ride. The idea that it was an Epic Ride continued.

For me this ride was extended 5 ½ weeks as I still had to go get my motorcycle in Creede. On the 17th of Sept. my wife Sandy and I took a 5 day vacation to drive to Creede, visiting Arches N. P. on the way there and visiting Measa Verde N.P. On the way home. We chose to take the southern route through Durango and Pagosa Springs. Wolf Creek Pass was a lot of fun, or it would have been great on a motorcycle, and the scenery was great, all green and beautiful with nice mountains, farms and ranches, mostly two lane and all country. All and all, I am very happy with this ride and the picking up of the motorcycle. It still is classified as EPIC.

pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/albums/72157656702933483

More pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/albums/72157658616702248

Nice write up, haven't thumbed through the pictures yet, but I will.

It sounds like the roads around Creede aren't kind to our Creed. Although, the people seem great.

Having ridden many of those same Colorado roads I can agree that you did have an Epic Trip. It was a shame that you had to end it like that.

The FJ09 really looks like a lot of fun and a very useful bike as well. I did a Demo Ride on the FZ09 and loved That Motor.

Really enjoyed your photos. Coincidentally, I was at Mount Evans the day after you were there, although I was traveling with the family on that trip. We got snowed on up there too.

Great report and pictures.. bummer about the ending! Coincidently, I spent all of last week around the Denver area for a family vacation (Pike's peak, cave tour, zip lining, Royal Gorge etc). Saw plenty of bikes and the Wx was great except for a little rain late in the week. Beautiful country that I'll need to revisit sometime on the bike. CO has no helmet law so I was amazed at how few folks were geared up (we'll save that for another thread!).

Regards,

Mr. BR