Deltran Battery Tender Lifespan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majicmaker

Reaction score
I need your experiences with the Deltran Battery Tender. My second one just stopped working. What's the average lifespan that you guy/gals are getting out of yours? It seems too short to me. Thanks in advance.

I have five in use here, some - the old style - have been in use for at least ten years, no failures up to this point.

Bad luck or maybe something odd with the circuit you plug 'em in to.

Or demonic possession...
evilgrin.gif

I have two of those. One did go bad, after about 8 years or so, the other one is still going strong, had to buy a CA specific high efficiency one as replacement, can't buy anything else here in Kalifornia anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason mine keeps working, even after being dropped a few times, and even starting the bike with the tender connected...that would be a big no no from what I understand. What kind of failure are you seeing?

I think I have 8 12 volt and 2 six volt units. Some are over 10 years old. The only time one died was after a trip down my dirt still attached to a four wheeler.:) :)

Hmm. It looks like OP and I are the only ones who have seen a failure in these units in the garage. Only one failure in about 9 years for me, out of 3 so far. I'm not that worried.

HI Tom. I seem to remember you being knowledgable in the world of electrons. Here's the deal. Just before leaving for the EOM I put the tender on for a few days just to have a topped off battery. I disconnected it and started the bike and it didn't have enough juice to start. Turned over just fine but the battery felt like it was dead. I waited a while and started it up again and it kicked over and started like a new battery, which it is by the way. I am half a mechnical genius but my electrical skills are "0".

During the EOM, it'll start right up sometimes and sometimes I'd need a jump start. (I always carry a set of jumper cables) don't know if the tender killed a new battery or not. I'm thinking I'd better take the battery to the dealer that sold it to me and have it checked.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, it could be the Battery Tender, or you might actually be experiencing early failure of the battery. It can happen even with new ones. I'm more inclined to think the problem is in the battery since it should be charging with the long ride to the rally. It's worth tracking down a parasitic drain, but most times when I hear about a battery not starting the bike, after a long ride, or being on a tender, I can pretty well bet the problem is the battery.

Take off the cover and make SURE the connections are clean and tight.

My terminals are clean as a whistle. On the long legs home, it'll always start right up strong for the next leg. The problem starting was always after a good nights sleep where the battery didn't want to wake the bike up in the morning. All my jump starts were in the morning. I've got the tender on it now and I'll see how the battery behaves. I'll go from there. Thanks. I'll keep you guys posted. Worst case, I'll just get a new battery.

One [old style] that's still going strong after 11 years and a new one that's about two years old. No trouble with either one...yet!

--G