Another Saddlesore story ends well

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapest

Reaction score
Not the most dramatic or interesting Saddlesore attempt. I can say if you do this first, running Three Flags is easy.

On my way to the 40th Three Flags event, I thought I could complete a Saddlesore 1000 challenge on the way. Since I needed to be in Shasta Lake on Monday (un-related, getting seat adjustment) I built a route that took me first to northern Sacramento (Woodland CA, actually) and then back to Shasta Lake.

When I left Vancouver/Surrey on Friday Aug 28 the rain had already started. This after almost 2 weeks of perfect sunny days. Crossing the border, I get my gas receipt from Yorky's, time stamp is exactly 6:30am. It rained past Burlington, perhaps the first 90 minutes of my journey. I am warm and dry, staying away from big rig spray. Emily (name for my GPS) says nothing about the rain. Garmin's free access to their weather app is available for a week or two. Good timing for me. But no mention of rain, maybe Emily knows I know already, since I am riding in it.

After the rain stops, its overcast, dull gray and low clouds for most of the rest of Washington state. About mid way thru the state, Emily warns me that 'nearby roads may have snow'. And then about half an hour later, its 'nearby roads may be icy'. During the last bit of Washington and well past Portland, Emily finally decides to warn me about rain. The roads are dry, its sunny past Portland, but about every 30 or 40 minutes I get a warning until about Canyonville. As the day has progressed, its also getting warmer. Grants Pass is smokey, and HOT, over 30C. There is a lot of forest fire support activity happening. Trucks/equipment parked everywhere, staging areas piled up with gear, helicopters parked in what appear to be farm fields. Many many signs warning about fire dangers and NO open fires allowed. Maybe these signs are what finally shuts Emily up about the rain.

Coming into CA, its just getting warmer. 30C has become 35C. The bike is hot from running all day, and I can feel the heat coming off the highway surface. Poached Steve for dinner tonight.

I pull into the Woodland CA hotel at 8:45 pm. I am 15 min's ahead of my planned arrival. 844 miles, 1350 km's. The hotel parking lot is full of trucks loading gear and meals for the fire crews.

I set the alarm for 2 am, planning to leave by 3. The nice clerk lets me into the breakfast room at 2:30, "help yourself".

I am riding away at 3:01, and in about 2 minutes I know I am going the wrong way. Emily wants me to take one route, but I need to go another to be sure to get the mileage I need.

Its 3 am, its dark, its hot, and I am tired. I wrote out the directions I wanted to take, but its too dark to read them off the tank bag. Back to the light. I have it now. I-5 south to 99 north to 70 north to 99 north to I-5 north, back to Shasta Lake. Its an incantation, just keep saying it over and over until Oroville, then I can let Emily take over.

Around Chico I feel something hitting me in the neck. Little bugs? Now its hitting my hands too. IT'S RAINING. Emily, where is your warning? Maybe 5 minutes, and I am thru the rain. All the rain gear is packed away, I think what's wet, me, will be dry soon enough. Then another band of rain. What's going on here? 5 yrs of drought, no water left in Lake Shasta and now its raining on me, in the dark, at 4 am? This is serious, big drop, smarts when it hits your hand rain. Then it just stops. Now I am really wet in the pants and shoulders, but its over 20C, it will dry. Third band of rain and I have had enough of this silliness. I know how to make it stop raining. I pull over and get out the rain covers for my tank and tail bags, and put them on. A mile later, the rain stops. Not one peep from Emily. I am dry before Red Bluff.

I get to Shasta Lake and make my 24 hr window with about 15 minutes to spare. 1017.5 miles. The hotel clerk, a very young, very pretty lady is happy to sign my witness form. Time for a nap.

I submitted my package by mail on Sept 15, received "ride approved" email on the 30th.

-Steve

Thx.

I was a bit concerned as the clock started to wind down, but 6am Sat morning, not much traffic. I dont think I saw more than a dozen vehicles after sunrise. Sleep was a trade off worth taking.

-Steve

Why not just ride the whole 1000 miles and sleep after?

That would give you a few hours to spare, in case there is an issue with a bike or traffic stuff.

Plan the ride, ride the plan - not stopping would have been a mistake for me, maybe 20 yrs ago. . . .

And that last 150 odd miles back north was done at legal speed, could have turned up the wick if need be.

Thx escapefjrtist, I have been thinking it wouldnt be THAT far to ride to Julian CA for some more apple pie. :)

-Steve

Probably wise to stop. That last two hours is the toughest part, though I'd have probably pushed through and then slept easy when done. Still, it's good when a plan comes together. Nice job.

Not the most dramatic or interesting Saddlesore attempt.
I will be attempting my first SS1000/BB1500 in a couple of weeks.

I'm hoping for nothing dramatic or particularly interesting when describing the outcome of my ride.

However I will take successfull. And you nailed that!

Thank you gixxerjason and pista.

Another reason for stopping - I was already wondering what I was going to do in Shasta Lake arriving at 6 am on a Sat morning. Lucky for me, my room was available and the desk clerk let me check in without paying extra.

In my case, the lowest point was about 700 miles in when I arrived at Redding, and knew I would be coming back there a few hours later. Got off the bike, drank a bottle of water, looked over all my paperwork, and got excited to do it all over again. After that stop, the next 150 miles to Woodland flew by. Props to my RDL seat, there is no way I could have done this otherwise, without ending up crippled for life.

Best of luck on your attempt pista, be safe.

-Steve

Thanks Steve.

I don't have the luxury of utilizing a RDL for this trip, lol! My '05 has a heated Corbin that may come in handy for the early morning ride through Ohio and into KY.

I'm taking a bottle of Advil in my tankbag though.

Did mine on a stock seat, it IS possible. :D

Of course, if you have an RDL, then by all means, use it.

I understand the feeling of accomplishment, though the 15 minutes margin would have driven up the angst. Congrats! I did my SS1000 with wife at pillion, which added immensely to the quality of the experience for me, but she enjoyed it just as much.

The closest my girlfriend came to this ride was Spotwalla. She thinks all this Iron Butt stuff is a little nuts. This from the same person that told me to 'stop whining and buy the damn bike' in the first place.

Really, I was not really concerned about the clock. We ride (one of) the most reliable bike(s)on the planet. No traffic. Easy route. Great sunrise. It was in the bag as soon as I hit 99N.

-Steve

Congrats on your successful SS. The lower speed limits through Seattleish and Oregon really add hours to the experience!

How did the adjustment to the RDL work out for you?

Seattle wasnt too bad for traffic, the express lanes were in my favour. WA I5 - cruise @ 75 all day.

OR - Portland was a tad slow, maybe 8/10 miles after the bridge. On the interstate, everyone speeds. Bingo ladies in Accords were passing me, doing 80.

?Mike?@ RDL knows my butt better than I do. After describing what I was feeling (800+ miles in one day gives you a good insight :) ) he took the seat away mumbling about shaving here and tweaking there. 30 minutes later, test sit, another half hour and the cover is back on. I was concerned, facing the 3 Flags ride, that changes might be a bad idea. The seat felt different when I left, and I wasnt sure the changes were positive until the next day. If it was 85% before, its 98% now. If they could only add air conditioning. . . .

-Steve

Congratulations, sapest! Nice accomplishment!

Last edited by a moderator: