Pop & spin, she no start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
I went to start the bike this morning and she just make a initial popping sound like it was going to start and the motor just spun after that. Screen was normal no flashing lights. I tried a WOT and still nothing. Didn't have time to research it until later when I get home. Well I guess after 81K and 7 years of use it was eventually going to happen and let me down.

Dave

Thanks, Fred

I haven't run the bike for 4 days. It is always garaged so it was around 60 degrees inside the garage this morning. The starter sounds normal or maybe slightly faster. I will make an attempt again when I get home. Looks like I will be dual sporting it for a few days. Good thing its warming up again.

Wish me luck,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
No luck tonight. I cranked it for about 20 seconds nothing. Went to WOT and she backfired and just spun after that. Tried again no throttle and nothing. I started to smell gas so I quit. If wasn't flooded before it is now., The battery was starting to get tired. Hooked up the charger and set it at 10 amps and tried one more time and nothing. So I just left the charger on and cleaned up the dual sport for tomorrows ride to work. So it looks like I may be pulling the plugs next.

One thing I did do on Saturday was push it out of the garage to do some work. Later on at night I gave it a quick start popped it in gear rode it in the garage and shut if off. All of about 4 seconds to do that. Maybe that's what caused the issue.

Dave

... Later on at night I gave it a quick start popped it in gear rode it in the garage and shut if off. All of about 4 seconds to do that. Maybe that's what caused the issue.
Dave
No "maybe" about it, that's the classic cause. If your battery won't take a minute of cranking (in 6 second bursts to prevent overheating the starter motor), you may have to resort to pulling the plugs, drying them off, maybe spin the motor with the plugs out, reassemble and try again.

<snip> One thing I did do on Saturday was push it out of the garage to do some work. Later on at night I gave it a quick start popped it in gear rode it in the garage and shut if off. All of about 4 seconds to do that. Maybe that's what caused the issue.
Definitely agree with mcatrophy...this is more than likely what killed it. Call it what you want, but I never start the FJR [and especially the Tenere] unless it's going to be ridden or fully warmed up. YMMV

--G

Classic Gen II if you don't let it warm up every time you start it. WOT is the key. Not sometimes WOT and sometimes not. WOT until it fires. And like was said already, a few seconds at a time - don't burn up the starter.

Keep the throttle wide open,close,wide open,close... and try again..This trick works at the most times..
smile.png

No luck tonight. I cranked it for about 20 seconds nothing. Went to WOT and she backfired and just spun after that. Tried again no throttle and nothing. I started to smell gas so I quit. If wasn't flooded before it is now., The battery was starting to get tired. Hooked up the charger and set it at 10 amps and tried one more time and nothing. So I just left the charger on and cleaned up the dual sport for tomorrows ride to work. So it looks like I may be pulling the plugs next.
One thing I did do on Saturday was push it out of the garage to do some work. Later on at night I gave it a quick start popped it in gear rode it in the garage and shut if off. All of about 4 seconds to do that. Maybe that's what caused the issue.

Dave
I did exactly the same thing with the same results Dave. I went out yesterday morning all dressed to ride and the bike would not start. I did multiple tries with WOT, then put it on a charger for 1/2 hour and did something else. I cranked the throttle to WOT again, and she fired up and I rode it out to Ligionere. So it did start. It is a terrible idea to start the bike to pull into the garage, and immediately shut down. I have had problems with that before and should know better.

I haven't had a re-starting issue with a quick start and shut off in warm weather but sure have in colder (under 50 f), so I too have learned to especially not do it as the mercury drops.

I wonder how many times I can quick start and stop Jackie-O before she does something weird like youins scoots are doin?