From R1 to FJR; my observations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been meaning to write something like this for a little while, but haven't had the chance. Quick background on me: 25+ years riding, all on sportbikes. Countless trackdays under my belt. Always modded my bikes, some more than others. I've been interested in the whole sport-touring scene for a little while, but never got around to looking into it further. I was always afraid I'd miss the sheer performance of my sportbike. However, a situation came along where I was able to trade my 2008 R1 with 17,000 miles on it for a 2008 FJR with 9100 miles on it. The FJR came with the OEM top trunk, saddlebags, OEM heated grips and a few minor mods. I've ridden FJRs in the past, but it's been a few years. After getting the particulars worked with the DMV, we traded keys and rode off on our "new" bikes.

During the first few minutes of my ride home, which was all twisties, I began to think "OMG, what have I done?! This thing is huge!" However, after another few minutes of riding the "big" FJR, I thought to myself "Why didn't I do this sooner?!?!?!?!" It didn't take long before I was very comfortable on the FJR and giving her some serious lean. The power on the bike is great as well. Not necessarily the "knockout punch you in the face" power that the R1 has, but more like of a "series of punches". It builds power quite nicely. While riding, I've passed (& humbled) several guys on sportbikes. After having her for a few months, I can honestly say (with my hand on the Bible!) that I don't regret the trade one iota. I really do like it.

My wife had been expressing an interest in going for some rides with me. However, the R1 was not the bike she'd ride on. So I began looking for a sport touring bike. To me, the FJR has plenty of sport, while still having the touring side for her. I've been a big Yamaha guy since 1995 when I got my first Yamaha; an FZR1000. I've had a couple R1s since then, and am simply a huge Yammie fan.

I'm probably not telling you guys anything that you don't already know about what a wonderful and capable bike the FJR is. I just wanted to pass along some observations from a newbie in the sport touring scene, particularly from a guy who's been riding nothing but dedicated sportbikes for years. since my FJR only has (now) 10,000 miles on it, I'm thinking it'll be here in my garage for a long, long time.

Thanks for listening! Also, thanks for the help you guys have passed along as well. I hope to learn as much about the FJR as I can, so that I might be in the position to help some new guys along some day.

Yep, very capable all-around motorcycle, plus it's extremely low-maintenance, reliable and long lived. My wife has probably logged 110,000 miles on the FJR pillion.

Last edited by a moderator:
And dogs luv ride'n on FJR's too!

21788878049_bb9232c68a_z.jpg

Get some time in on that old news FJR you bought, and they after a good 10,000 miles on the 08.....

Then start looking at the newest Gen 3 hotness..... they are pretty impressive in comparison to the Gen1 and Gen2 counterparts...

Totally worth the upgrades with all the bells and whistles they added.....

The FJR can revolutionize the experience of motorcycling like no other motorcycle can. This coming from a life-long motorcyclist that began riding in 1961. I first tasted how Yamaha approached motorcycles in the fall of 1978 when I bought a brand new Yamaha 1979 XS1100. Yamaha values (and designs towards) heavy mid-range, useable torque. None of this "horsepower at the redline" stuff, just whack the throttle and get 'er done.

I had 96 crankshaft horsepower with the XS1100 and about the same weight as the FJR. A 50% increase in horsepower with about the same weight results in a gigantic increase in useable torque for the discerning motorcyclist.

It doesn't get any better than this.

Dan

I hear you (Warpdrv) on the new FJR, but to be honest with you, a brand new bike is not going to be in the cards anytime soon. We have two teenagers who'll be in college in 4 & 5 years. Plus, since my FJR only has 10K miles on her, I consider her brand new. I completely trust the Yam to go for many, many miles. I put 120,000 on my FZR1000; 98,000 on my 2001 R1 and (only, haha!) 17,000 on my 2008 R1. I'm sure that some maintenance issues will pop up, but that's true for any bike as the time goes on.

Just curious, how many of you guys are former sportbike guys, like me?

Cheers,

Scott

Main rides: Yamaha RD 400 (sport?), XJ650G (cruiser), then Honda 750 Sabre (sport?), CB1100F (sport?), CB1100 Super Blackbird (pure sport? most would say GT - gran touring), then sport-tour FJR #1, #2 and now #3 + DL-1000 V-Strom adventure. I think this would qualify as "evolution."

Still have my 1998 Honda SuperHawk (VTR1000F), with 40,000 miles on it. Just got it back running after a few years of storage. At 58, with a little arthritis starting, the Honda is starting to be a little uncomfortable for me, but not show-stopping. With that bike, you have to stop often anyway for fuel. I'd like to do at least one more track day on it (I've done four, but the last one was in 2006), so I'm keeping it until next summer, at least.

Comparisons to the FJR:

The FJR has tremendous mid-range, but the VTR has low-end that's a lot of fun. By low-end, I mean RIGHT off idle. It pounds and shakes at low revs, but pulls great from idle, and feels fun doing it. Deceptive speed, because of the v-twin. Feels like it's just thumping along at 4K rpms, but you're going 75. After riding my FJR and VTR back-to-back, I still can't tell you which one is faster (quicker). It would be close.

The Honda reminds me of what a good windscreen is like. No turbulence at helmet level, just clean, quiet airflow. Turbulence starts picking up into three digits, but I just put my chin on the tank and enjoy the fun. The stock FJR screen is an abomination. From what I know from some friends, the aftermarket screens are only marginally better. My stock FJR screen is so pitted that before I replace it, I will cut it down to see if I can make it better.

The FJR is a big girl, but it's a well-known fact here that she can dance. Tight, first or second gear switchbacks are challenging, due just to the mass, but anything faster than that is pure fun. The VTR is obviously smaller and lighter, but with the narrower handlebars, can feel difficult to turn at first. Once speed picks up, things improve. Not better or worse than the FJR, just different.

When I first got on the FJR, after riding the Honda for 10 years, I thought the same thing as you. "What is this, Aunt Edna's Roadmaster?". After a few road-ripping day trips, it started to get way better, and hasn't stopped. Now, after riding the FJR for 7 seasons, the Honda feels like it has granite tires and no suspension. BUT, you can tell exactly what is happening at each conatact patch. You can run over a dime and tell if it was heads or tails. (RaceTech fork internals are a must on the VTR).

Ideally, I'd like to keep both. The VTR isn't worth much, but I bought her new, and it's been a fabulous bike. The issue is, I need the garage space, and, more crucial, I don't know how much longer I can ride it, with knee and wrist issues being foremost. I'll probably sell it next summer, but it will be a sad day when it goes.

Love the FJR for all that it can do. If you haven't already found that out (I think you have), you will.

Welcome to our world.

Love the big block torque of the FJR, roll on and the power is just there, no need to ring its neck. And when you do, a nice top-end hit.

Overall, an immensely satisfying, reliable ride.

2010 Yamaha FJR1300

2006 (2) Yamaha FJR1300

2007 DUCATI MONSTER S4Rs with a little work done. 413 lbs & 121 hp at the rear wheel. Also a cop magnet.

1987 Harley Davidson XR1000 [the only HD that I ever owned.]

1984 Yamaha FJ1100

1982 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo with the boost turned up to 11 pounds and all of the Turbo signage removed.

1977 Yamaha RD400 that spent more time in pieces than it did running.

1974 Yamaha RD350 with tons of work done to it. And unlike the RD400, it never died.

There always was a mix of touring bikes, dirt bikes, old English iron and enduro bikes also.

1981 Kawasaki GPZ750 with a 900cc big bore kit.

1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor

1987 Cagiva Allazura 650

1985 Yamaha FJ1100

1995 Buell S2 Thunderbolt heavily modified

1996 Buell S2T Thunderbolt

The GPZ was my first bike. Traded my 1974 Dodge Challenger for it even up. In retrospect a very dumb move.

Love the FJR for all of what it has to offer.

I don't have the bona fides some of you have as my FJR is only my second bike, but let me say, I see about 50 other bikes up close every day on the ferry I ride and there is not a one I think is capable of what mine is. To be the urban assault vehicle, and mileage eater, and comfort cruiser, and twisty lover. And all in comfort and warmth and safety. My previous bike was a Versys, which was fine, but few comments. On my beautiful Gen 3, not a day goes by when some stranger doesn't walk up to me and admire how she looks. And I always tell them the same thing, she looks great but more importantly she is the best machine around. Just an amazing machine from every angle.

One of the best decisions I have ever made on a purchase was buying my FJR. That and my 200,000 mile 2003 never any problem Honda Element!

Glad to hear your move to the FJR....Yes I agree it's a rewarding choice. I currently have both and each one has it's purpose. For in town..the R1..saves a lot of traveling time and more nimble easier to navagate due to its smaller size. And the FJR is much better at long distance and 2 up riding. Therefore in conclusion...it was hard to give up the R1 after enjoying all the rewards of an FJR....nice job on experiencin a new world in motorcycle riding :)