This Freakin' bike....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burns1

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
...is going to get me thrown in jail!!!! On my commute home I look down and I'm doing 90 on the 4 lane divided road. It's just too damn easy and fun. Want to go 45? Just twist your wrist. Need to pass this slowpoke? Just twist it a little further. Want to go 90? Just twist it a little more. I swear, I'm not a Squid, but man this thing puts a great big smile on my face. I have never ridden anything like this bike before. I come from smaller bikes; a CB360, RD 250 and 400, CM400T, Shadow 600 and the latest was a Vstar 650. Of course none of them had anywhere near this kind of power.

Another thing...a couple of weekends ago I decided to go for a ride and do a little "leaf-peeping" here in the Colorado mountains. I grab a few things, throw them in the bags and off I went. I rode for a few hours, grabbed a motel for the night and then back on the road the next morning. Five hundred miles later and I was home by 5:00 pm. I just love it. I would never even think of doing something like that on most of my other bikes. My past bikes, were either all too unreliable or too uncomfortable to even think about doing something like that on a moments notice. Yea, I did do a cross-coutry on the Shadow, but that was after weeks of planning. And it certainly wasn't what I'd call a comfortable trip.

While at the motel that weekend, I was standing outside having a smoke and just looking over the FJR. To say it is technologically superior to anything else I've ridden is a huge understatement. And mine is just a 2008. Not even a Gen III. I think back and compare this machine to the old CB360 and it just amazes me that I can own something like this. What I have sitting in my garage is so far beyond what was on the tracks in those days, it's just incredible!

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. This bike just makes me grin like an idiot almost every time I ride it. (The other times, it just scares the sh*t out of me, lol)

Burns1

Not sure if the Gen I or III have the same sweet spot (gearing differences?) but I know, and have had others say also, that the bike really has a sweet spot at about 88-90, where it just wants to be there. It will creep up there when you don't expect it and runs very smooth at that point. So, yeah, it's really easy to speed on the FJR. Glad you're enjoying the bike!

Cheers!

DSC_0447%202.jpg

A motorcycle is supposed to make you happy. I am pleased to hear that this one makes you almost as happy as my '15 ES makes me.

You said, "And mine is a 2008. Not even a Gen III." While I am enormously proud of my Gen3, you have to remember that the original Gen1 is still a very useful and relevant motorcycle. Yours is really almost a Gen 2.5 with the upgrades they made between '07 and '08.

You know, a couple of pics of that 2008 with those yellow leaves in the background would have really helped this thread. Just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
Burns1, the other day someone told me, "Your drivers license says your over 40. Your maturity says your 15 or 16." Hah...Exactly. I'm pretty sure most people on fun motorcycles are like this. Especially Carlson_mn apparently.

Haha...

Wait until you "go for a little morning spin" and you wind up in the next state 500 miles later looking for a toothbrush and a motel room. Better yet, always keep a toothbrush and a clean pair of undies in that little glove box.

I rode most of the bikes you mentioned and the fjr is a bike I have been in love with since I first saw one at the dealer in 2003. I bought mine in 2009 and have been smiling ever since.

Sorry Redfish, I didn't take many pictures. I was too busy riding. But the funny thing is, all you gotta do is check out some of Pant's pictures. I was on Independence Pass almost exactly a week before he was. I wish I had thought of meeting up.

And HRZ, that's exactly the way I feel. I know I should act my age but I just can't help myself. lol. It's going to be real embarrassing when I do get pulled over and the cop is expecting some stupid punk kid and then sees a 57 year old with a shit-eating grin.

Burns1

I already have a ticket for, ahem.... triple digit speeds. Luckily, the average traffic speed was about 80 so the kind officer only gave me a ticket instead of running my license through a shredder. I know what you mean though, must....exercise....restraint....every time I get on mine. Yep, the FJR is one fine 'cruise missile'!

That's why the Gen3 has cruise control. Yamaha assumed we would use it to avoid speeding tickets. (My cruise control works at 100mph.)

Burns1, the other day someone told me, "Your drivers license says your over 40. Your maturity says your 15 or 16." Hah...Exactly. I'm pretty sure most people on fun motorcycles are like this. Especially Carlson_mn apparently.
Haha...
That reminded me of EOM when my group stopped for lunch. The hostess asked me how many? I said 13. She asked any small children? I responded, "No. Just immature adults"!