New Camera - Light L16

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This looks very intriguing as another camera option to lugging around a big camera and lens, etc. especially when traveling... looks like a melding of cell camera size and pretty good end photo capability.
cool.gif

Light L16 Camera

Article here.

$1,299 pre order
$1,699 next summer

Last edited by a moderator:
Good gosh, don't let my pillion see this! She is already embroiled with the Lytro camera. And Nikon. And Canon. And Panasonic. And.......

If it's that good, it definitely has its advantages. Let's say... Like when you're riding a bike and taking pictures on the fly. But, come on... Who really does that anyway? :D

I hope it has an attach point for a lanyard. Don't wanna drop that thing. :)

Nice....and pricey!
not_i.gif

Bring one to EOM next year Tyler!!
punk.gif
If the technology is as good as it seems like it will be, it's actually a pretty good price for 16 cameras in one... I read somewhere that to have the equivalent DLSR equipment, it would cost around $6K so based on that it doesn't seem so pricey! I'm considering putting down a deposit... B)

If it's that good, it definitely has its advantages. Let's say... Like when you're riding a bike and taking pictures on the fly. But, come on... Who really does that anyway?
biggrin.png

I hope it has an attach point for a lanyard. Don't wanna drop that thing.
smile.png
Oh yeah... I would definitely find some way to attach it to a lanyard... I'm sure by then they'll have something but, if not, I can probably rig something up. :D

52 megapixel images means it'll have to have its own storage. I like being able to do post on them, especially DOF. I don't know that I would use it while riding, besides the cost factor of dropping it, but what write speed does it have. 52 MP is good and all, but only if you want to print large, otherwise you'll have to reduce it to a manageable size to share online. I'm sure there's professional photogs that would find a 'need' for it, but for most, this is a bit overkill.

That said, you should buy it Tyler. :)

Ooh ooh, I wanna play! I'm SO good at spending other people's money!

Very interesting, but better start buying some new large gig external drives. Those are gonna be some big-ass files to start accumulating. I have a hard enough time trying to store all my Go-Pro videos.

The biggest problem with action photography while on the move on a bike is you don't have access to the viewfinder, let alone zoom controls. This camera takes multiple shots with one click at different focal lengths, and that potentially makes up for a lot of sins. I can think of a number of situations where it is difficult to really set up the desired shot and effect that this camera solves. It's hard to imagine that it also has the flexibility to accommodate motion blur, depth of field and other effects we often seek in SLR photography, but that is the claim.

If anyone can make this work well, it is you Tyler.

Tyler and Puppychow need to be the official forum testers for this thing. I look forward to the results.
biggrin.png

https://youtu.be/mx0HMY7E9R0

Came across this video for Lytro cameras. Same sort of concept, but I think the Light camera is more advanced. Anyway, this gives an idea of what can be done with adjustable DOF. Intriguing to say the least!

Tyler, I'm certain you'd have tons of fun with this! :)

Saw this the other day and was intrigued. I had my finger on the button to reserve, but chickened out.

I can't wait to see the pictures from the first Tyler ride report when that camera is used.
thumbsup.gif

If the technology is as good as it seems like it will be, it's actually a pretty good price for 16 cameras in one... I read somewhere that to have the equivalent DLSR equipment, it would cost around $6K so based on that it doesn't seem so pricey! I'm considering putting down a deposit...
cool.png
Equivalent DLSR is probably even more for the higher end gear. My Nikor 300mm 2.8 telephoto was $3K on its own. The sharpless of the lens can't be beat though....

DSC_0485-L.jpg