Best glue for gluing plastic to metal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently got a MCL fork brace as a gift but was a little disappointed with the MCL fork guards that came with it. They are much shorter than the OEM ones. Is that an issue? I was thinking of trimming the OEM ones and gluing them to the MCL pieces to make them a little taller.

If I go that route, what's the best glue for adhering plastic to metal?

Or does it even matter that the MCL fork guards are a little shorter than the OEM ones? They look like they are still going to protect the area just above the dust seal.

After reading some of the threads on the forum about the effectiveness of fork braces, I might just leave it as is and sell the MCL fork brace. It seems there are those who think it makes no difference and those who think they do. I don't have a huge problem with the handling of the FJR as it is now, so maybe I'll just take a pass on the MCL fork brace.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had similar experiences with shortened fork protectors, fortunately for me I had some metal stock (stainless steel sheet) that I extended the protectors with; these I glued with JB Weld. This was many years ago and never a problem. Depending on the type of plastic JB Weld might just do the trick for you as well. Maybe do a test to see if the glue you have (or plan to purchase) creates a powerful bond to the plastic; I am confident that it will adhere to the metal tenaciously.

I used the MCL fork brace for a lot of miles and never had an issue with the shorter guards. I do wipe the fork tubes regularly to keep them from accumulating grit and bug juice.

If I were to try to attach the plastic ones to the aluminum ones, I would try JB Weld and a couple of pop rivets for insurance.

Hi guys, I recently got a MCL fork brace as a gift but was a little disappointed with the MCL fork guards that came with it. They are much shorter than the OEM ones. Is that an issue? I was thinking of trimming the OEM ones and gluing them to the MCL pieces to make them a little taller.
If I go that route, what's the best glue for adhering plastic to metal?

Or does it even matter that the MCL fork guards are a little shorter than the OEM ones? They look like they are still going to protect the area just above the dust seal.

After reading some of the threads on the forum about the effectiveness of fork braces, I might just leave it as is and sell the MCL fork brace. It seems there are those who think it makes no difference and those who think they do. I don't have a huge problem with the handling of the FJR as it is now, so maybe I'll just take a pass on the MCL fork brace.

Your thoughts?
Never felt the need for fork braces on this bike. I recall reading somewhere that the middle bushing in the Gen II is supposed to reduce fork flex sufficiently, whereas some who have installed one on a Gen I report satisfactory results.

You're right that the FJR stock setup provides pretty decent handling, but I gotta say a suspension upgrade was one of the better modifications I've done to mine. Damn pricey, tho'
weirdsmiley.gif

After reading some more, I think I'll pass on the fork brace. Thank you for the input, I appreciate it.

Mods, please delete this thread if you wish.

On my 08, I installed the MCL fork brace. Maybe it was mental, or maybe an expectational feel, but I swear the front end felt better. Remember, it's not a permanent install, so install it and see if you can tell any difference. If you can't, then just sell the bastard.

On my 08, I installed the MCL fork brace. Maybe it was mental, or maybe an expectational feel, but I swear the front end felt better. Remember, it's not a permanent install, so install it and see if you can tell any difference. If you can't, then just sell the bastard.
Yes, I had the same experience on my '05. When I first installed a MCL fork brace the bike seemed to handle better, sort of like what a brand new set of tires feels like. After riding with it for about 100k miles I decided to remove it during a fork service. I never noticed a difference with it gone. Maybe the fork service made more difference than removing the brace.
unknw.gif

Just to beat a dead horse, a vendor on the zrx site sells braces w/ss shields and attaches them with 3M double stick tape.