If you pay for tire mounting, how much?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
So I got a nail in my front tire, and fortunately it had about 5,000 on the stocks and I wanted to switch to PR4 before winter anyway. My local dealership had the PR4 GT in stock and so I put a plug in my front tire and went on over. The tire itself was a good price, I thought. $161. But out the door, I paid $230. Taxes, $36 for labor, and $17 for tire disposal and "shop supplies". I felt ripped off. I know guys do their own tires, and for good reason. But I haven't made that leap yet.

Just wondering if taxes and labor and miscellaneous run you $70?

So I got a nail in my front tire, and fortunately it had about 5,000 on the stocks and I wanted to switch to PR4 before winter anyway. My local dealership had the PR4 GT in stock and so I put a plug in my front tire and went on over. The tire itself was a good price, I thought. $161. But out the door, I paid $230. Taxes, $36 for labor, and $17 for tire disposal and "shop supplies". I felt ripped off. I know guys do their own tires, and for good reason. But I haven't made that leap yet.

Sorry mods, the site froze each time I tried to post and it resulted in multiple. I can't seem to delete the extras myself.
weirdsmiley.gif

That is about right for a ride in where they need to remove the tire ... I pay $100 to do two tires if I carry them in (off the bike) and provide tires myself. This is definitely a rip but they charge an hour of shop time ... If I rode the bike in and they had to do the whole thing it would be close to $200 ...

You can probably find it cheaper than you paid but definitely not at a dealer ... Gotta find an independent guy who would likely have charged you $40 for the same thing ... Or better yet, find another FJR guy with a No Mar who takes payment in beer ... A case will usually do it ...

I am in a VERY small town, so most services are way cheaper than big city prices. I remove my wheels and bring them to a guy that has state of the art machines, and he dismounts old tire, mounts new tires, and spin balances for $20 each.

I was being charged $40 each for mounting tires when I took in the wheels. You're going to pay more if the shop dismounts and mounts the wheel on top of the tire change. I bought my own tire changer this Spring, and do my own now. The initial investment is about 4-sets of tires in cost, but after that, I'm ahead.

That's roughly what it would cost me if I took mine to my local dealer. $50 just for labor, with miscellaneous extra charges (disposal, balancing, remove and install BS) on top of that. I ride way too much and am far too cheap to pay it, so I do my own. I've saved over a grand since buying my tire changing tools.

Here in San Jose, I'm fortunate to have a well established (opened in '78) local accessory dealer (Road Rider). They do not sell bikes nor provide wheel removal but you are welcome to pull your wheels in the parking lot.

If you buy tires from them, it's $15/wheel for mount + balance; buy tires elsewhere and it's $30/wheel. I've done both but the last few sets I've bought directly from them as their prices are very good and I like to support them. I've also bought helmets, jackets and gloves from them. I do not know what our local Dealers charge for a wheel R&R plus tire mount but my guess it's similar to the OPs numbers.

Regards,

Mr. BR

I use a small independent shop and bring my wheel to them. They charge me $20 for mount and balance. If they were to pull the wheel off, the price would be $30.

I've been buying my tires from the dealer for a while now. Their prices are real close to the online prices and the front R&R is free. The rear R&R is $11. I can't complain. I support them as much as I can. Buying a new bike? That's a different story. They want top dollar and they won't budge an inch.

$40 each if you bring the tires in, $25 each if you buy from them. Both include ride in. Tires prices are close enough to buy from dealership. Always happy with balance. :)

Since you asked, I remove the wheels at home, bring wheels

and tires I buy online to a local dealer who mounts, balances

and disposes the old tires for less than $20 per tire, taxes

included. I had one mounted the morning I left for EOM.

I buy my tires online when they're on sale and I have money.

My Yamaha dealer charges $25 with tires off the bike. $35 on the bike. Let's me bring them in. The largest dealer in Albuquerque charges $45 on or off the bike, and I don't know if they mount outside tires because their tires are pretty cheap. CycleGear charges $30 for tires bought from them and $35 for outside bring-ins.

There's a couple other options around Albuquerque from independent dealers. The best deal in the city is in my garage. I have a well equipped NoMar, so now I mount and balance my own tires, whenever I want. It hasn't paid for itself yet, but it will.

Your place was good until they screwed you out of $17 for "tire disposal." What they're doing is lying, telling you, "It's $36 to mount a tire." No one askes about tire disposal because that's usually $2. So they actually charge $53+tax to mount a tire. I'd tell them to kiss my ass and give them the finger on the way out the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pay $60 per wheel, driving the bike in and driving it out plus the price of the tires. There is no tax on labor. Last change to PR4GTs was $ 550 out the door. This includes checking bearings (including the rear ones), balancing, replacing the valve stems and inserts, re- torquing all the fasteners to specs and absolutely, positively NO marks on the rims. Dealer has replaced one front wheel for me before since they scraped the crappy black OEM paint.

IMHO well worth the price of admission. NO HEADACHES...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pricing seems about right riding the bike in. Local shop wants $20 each mount / balance off bike their tires, IIRC, $50 same service BYO tires. I do my own and a few [dozens] more for the local FJR gang. Tire changer has paid for itself many times...in beer & pizza!

I paid two pizza's for my last tire change.
...and it was a pleasure with those flimsy tires!
smile.png

--G