Low Speed Practice Range

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Hud

Just another blob of protoplasm using up your oxyg
Reaction score
When I first got my FJR, I was overwhelmed with how big and heavy she was. Anyone who's seen the scrapes on my bike can attest that I wasn't particularly skilled at slow-speed handling. What did I do about it?

I searched for the DMV motorcycle driving tests, thinking they would provide good practice. Found some diagrams and kept thinking.

Took two sheets of thin cardboard, cut a 3-inch diameter hole in one and a 2-inch diameter hole in the other. Got a can of black spray paint, a can of white, my tape measure, some disposable rubber gloves, and visited the concrete parking deck next door.

Laid out this pattern by first painting big black dots, then painting smaller white dots on top of the black dots. (Asphalt parking lots would probably work better with little black dots on top of big white dots.) The layout was kept squared-up by placing the “weaving” side of the course a foot off the ends of parking space stripes.

36994903860_1b053b1a66_z.jpg

I think the reason everything is at 12-foot spacings is because that's the width of a modern highway lane. That means you're practicing your U-turns within the width of a standard two-lane highway. Doing the figure-8 loops provides both left turn and right turn practice.

36994905230_5673364af5_z.jpg

NOTES:

1. It’s actually a LOT easier to see what you’re supposed to do when you’re driving through the course and looking at the dots.

2. Dunwoody police officers have seen me riding through it a couple of times. I can’t imagine anyone, even the parking deck owner, objecting to this as long as there’s not a gang of bikers congregating around, scaring off customers.

3. I now have a feel for the minimum radius curves I can handle, and the minimum speed I must maintain to keep from “wrestling her to the ground”.

4. It’s also a nice way to warm up the bike and you: run a couple of slaloms and turn a few tight figure-8’s under the morning sun.

5. This practice range is now on the top floor of two or three nearby parking decks. Some have better views of the city than others, which can be awesome on spring mornings. By visiting them all, I avoid concentrating my moto-activity at a single location -- which keeps the entire concept on the down low.

If anyone’s interested, PM me and I can email PDF’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, thanks!

Just avoid target fixating on those close-in dots, or you'll get a real close up!

Since I park the FJR for a few, (far too many!_), months I make a point of practicing the slow speed/parking lot stuff each spring.

The route through the tree infested yard to get to the driveway also requires somewhat close maneuvering, so I have developed some skill at lock-to-lock slow speed turning.

Zepplin helps me train and develop my avoidance skills.

Good idea Hud, both the course and using multiple locations. I imagine a local high school or college parking lot would work too as long as it was kept as you say...on the down low.

--G

That's a great idea and an even better implementation. I would have been scrambling around looking for cones. This is way less intrusive, and has nothing to carry around or set up. Nicely done!!

It looks good. In fact most any practice is good. So here's another trick I've always valued that you can do almost anywhere. It's from the Lee Parks "Total Control" course. You just need a parking lot or something with a pole or other object you can ride a circle around--a fire plug, a basketball backstop, or your friend, who agrees to just stand there.
tongue.png

All you do is ride circles around the thing. Trick is to keep your eyes on the thing as you ride around it in circles as tight as you can. By looking only at the center thing, it teaches you to look through the turn and makes you much more comfortable with doing that. Speed isn't important, smooth is. Do it both to the left and right, and make the circles smaller as you get smoother.

All excellent advice. I would add that you start with slow speed control in a straight line.

Hold a constant throttle position (somewhere around 1500-2000 RPM).

Slip the clutch a little (just enough to maintain forward momentum with no brakes applied).

Control your speed using the back brake.

Avoid using the front brake - it's probably OK in a straight line but using it in a slow turn usually ends up with an unscheduled event......

When you are comfortable in a straight line go for turns as described above, you should end up turning in either direction on full lock.

https://www.dds.ga.gov/motorcycle/gmsp/advridercourse.aspx

As a MSF Rider coach I would suggest an Advanced Rider course with your Georgia department of driver services. Practicing on your own is okay but having a rider coach watch you and point out things you are doing wrong or could be doing better will rapidly accelerate your learning curve. If you don't realize you are doing something wrong or that there is a better way of doing things, you will never improve your riding skills. It will be the best $100.00 you ever spent and most insurance carriers give you a discount on your insurance which may save you a lot of money in the long run.

Oh, and get that ratty bike fixed.

Thanks, AbercrombieFJR; I'll take that advice. And my "ratty" bike kept up with your Hooterville dirt bike all day long, brother. (Was that fun, or what?!?!)

As a MSF Rider coach I would suggest an Advanced Rider course with your Georgia department of driver services. Practicing on your own is okay but having a rider coach watch you and point out things you are doing wrong or could be doing better will rapidly accelerate your learning curve. If you don't realize you are doing something wrong or that there is a better way of doing things, you will never improve your riding skills. It will be the best $100.00 you ever spent and most insurance carriers give you a discount on your insurance which may save you a lot of money in the long run.
I was thinking this too. The MSF Advanced Rider course is a great place to go to get some formal practice, formal coaching, and a discount on your insurance.

I came to the FJRs after having dealt with fairly large heavy sport touring type bikes before, so I was comfortable with them. But I've noticed that on many of the used low mileage bikes, that left side generator cover has vertical dings. In a real crash, the dings would have some horizontal component. The vertical dings are indicative or a parking lot or other low speed drop. I think that any of the sport touring type bikes would be a challenge if you were coming up from something in the sub 500 pound category. The FJRs not worse than the Honda STs or the BMW Ktouring bikes.

I had a Moto Guzzi Norge when they first came out, and it might have been a little easier to duck walk around, or ride at low speeds compared to the FJR ... but that was probably the only area in which it was better.

I also had a ton of trouble with the weight and tight cornering. thanks for the advice. ill have to get some paint. When I first started riding the FJR it was so much trouble I went to the local Police Station to ask how they do it (they use them in QLD Australia). They said my tires are probably at 39 psi cold and they run theirs at 42-44 psi cold, also alot of counter steering at the right time during a corner using the bike weight to keep it upright\ in a corner when you feel the weight on the handles want to spin around let them turn a little to see how it feels and adjust the weight of your your lean. I changed the pressure and its like a whole new bike feels light as a feather. Cornering is so smooth. as long as i dont lock on a target mid corner.lol.

I'm about 200 miles on my FJR before I can take an MSF intermediate course. Love those courses even if my local MSF instructors are a tad grumpy and barky.

I practice low speed stuff in any parking lot. Use the car slots as lanes. Start by making a U turn from lane 1 to lane 4. Do this until you feel comfortable. Then go from lane 1 to lane 3 and so forth. Works really well.

Great idea Uncle Hud!

Another option you might also consider, so you're not limited to any specific location, are small (3"-4") cones. We use these at the BMV for our motorcycle course.

They stack nicely and the 20 or so needed to lay out a course will fit into your saddlebags quite nicely.

Instead of paint, if you don't want to mark up someone's asphalt, or cones if you don't have the SMALL ones, get tennis balls and cut them in half. They're small and yellow, so easy to see, and won't get caught up in your wheels, like larger cones have a tendency to do. They're also hard to tear up.

Whatever floats your boat really...

Yes, the Advance Course I did had a similar section for us to maneuver through. Honestly, the best part was being the only non-cruiser and the only one with ABS. Watching the Harley's and such have difficulties made for an entertaining afternoon, including seeing two drop (only to the footboards or low mufflers) during the "emergency stop while in a curve" drill. At least they were trying to learn how to ride properly!