Swing arm removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

Reaction score
OK I need some help here. Got up today to try and lube my swing arm. Researched the topic here and went to fjrtech for it. Had everything off, mufflers, rear wheel, foot pegs. Got to the 27 and 36mm nuts which were tough puppies to get off. Three foot cheater pipe required and I bent my rachet handle 25 degrees but I got the nuts off. Next came pushing out the axle I just removed the nuts from. I could not get it to move any amount. I was pushing it out to the left side using a bronze bar and my 3lb hammer to break it free but after ten minutes I gave up. Put it all back together as I have a ride over the weekend. What am I missing here? Tech manual was no help. So now I ask the experts here.

I've had my swing arm off twice for cleaning and lube service with no trouble.

First off, do you have a service manual to refer to? The pictures help. If not send me a pm with an email address and I can send you a couple photos I took during disassembly.

Second, I've never had to remove the mufflers, but I can appreciate it gives you more room to work.

Getting the swing arm pivot out:

Remove the 27mm nut on right side, Remove the lock/jam nut on the bike's left side. The Pivot (swingarm axle, if you will) is threaded into the left side of the bikes frame. You'll need a 19mm (3/4") hex, same as your front wheel axle, to unscrew the swing arm pivot. It should come right out.

When you're done cleaning and lubing, there is a process for tightening the axle, jam nut and right nut. I'll see if I can get you those steps and torque values.

Last edited by a moderator:
so it is threaded into the bike! I used Mark Johnson's FJR site with his instructions and like the service manual it made no mention of it being threaded into the bike and to use a 19mm hex bit to remove it, Doh! Next week I shall tackle it again. Thank you for the help.

Hopefully the 10 minutes of hammering didn't damage the threads
uhoh.gif

Planning on doing the same on my 58K GEN1 later this Fall..... pull the arm, clean, grease and re-install. I do have a shop manual for reference but I did not know the pivot was threaded into the frame! First up, however, will be a fork oil change and tapered bearings for the steering.

Regards,

Mr. BR

You're lucky you didn't use a 4lb hammer. You'd be fu*#ed. Haha...Maybe not, but as you found, that would have been good info to have at the start. Next time, search around here first. I do it all the time cuz I'm a chicken.

There are two (not very obvious) clues.

The torque figure of 7 NM directly associated with the pivot shaft.

The hex socket at the end of the shaft.

It is not clear to me how you get to acces to anything on the left hand side. I suppose you have to remove the universal joint to get acces at the lock/jam nut and the pivot axle on the left hand side?...