Tail lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

Reaction score
I walked out of my motel this morning and did my walk around while warming up my bike. I noticed the left tail light was out. I picked up a pack of replacement bulbs when got home. I checked the lights again, same light was out. Replaced the left bulb and put the spare in the tool case. As I checked the tail lights the left now worked but the right was now out! I used the spare one to fix the right side and now both work. Really, blow the right as I replaced the left?????

This is why I replace headlights and taillights in pairs.

Save the "good" ones for spares but mark them used.

I once gave a parts counter guy some crap about forcing us to buy two lamps when we only need one. He said you should always replace them both. His viewpoint has been born out several times: one goes, then the other.

I once gave a parts counter guy some crap about forcing us to buy two lamps when we only need one. He said you should always replace them both. His viewpoint has been born out several times: one goes, then the other.
As is typical of the '07s, mine seems to be the red headed bass turd step child. I replaced my first tail light bulb in 2013. No complaints, lasted a long time. But I replaced only the right one. The left is still the OEM. The 2nd new one from the 2-pack I had to buy is still under the seat. Go figure. Replacing that bulb was definitely one of the most enjoyable endeavors on that trip...for everyone but me.

As is typical of the '07s, mine seems to be the red headed bass turd step child. I replaced my first tail light bulb in 2013. No complaints, lasted a long time. But I replaced only the right one. The left is still the OEM. The 2nd new one from the 2-pack I had to buy is still under the seat. Go figure. Replacing that bulb was definitely one of the most enjoyable endeavors on that trip...for everyone but me.
Same here. One rear light went and I replaced it at 125,000 miles or so. Still using the OEM for the other side. One of the fronts just went but this time I will replace both since the fairing has to come off to do it anyway. It is just the left front marker so it will wait until I am doing some annual maintenance stuff on the front end. The signal filament still works.

Agree with the last two. It's not like you have to disassemble the whole motorcycle so you might as well do both while everything's apart, at least with my Gen I. Dunno if it's any harder with later models, but I can reach under and do it pretty easily, at least now that I've done it a few times and know what it takes. You buy them in pairs, so you've got your spare whenever you need it anyway.

I replace my tires one at a time too.
laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
seems like my 07 rear tail light wires or so short you can't remove the bulb.Is there a trick?

seems like my 07 rear tail light wires or so short you can't remove the bulb.Is there a trick?
Yes, there IS a trick. I first found out when I was in an Advance Auto parking lot about 450 miles from home.

Get a pair of long needle nosed pliers, at least 10", 12 is better. Better still is buy the 2-pack: 1 straight & 1 curved jaw. Then you can grip the bulb holder without trying to put your hand up in there. Last time I was in Bumfuck, WV. The counter guy even opened a new package to let me use them.