My Poor Old Worn Out FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I don't even want to know the book value. 2008 (bought new in 2009), 71,000 miles. The kind of bike a dealer wouldn't want to take on a trade in, and no buyer would want to pay much for. Guess I'll just have to hang onto it since no one would want it now but me
smile.png

Ready to go nite nite for the Winter, fresh oil and filter, just did the clutch and brake fluids, will cover up and put the tender on. Put in some ethanol free gas with Stabil, took a little last ride up the county road to get the gas through the system, 9K rpms in 2nd and 3rd, runs smooth and pulls hard.

Looking forward to next Spring, 6 more seasons and another 70K+ on the old girl.....

20151017_144758_zpsh4fjbikq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my 06 since buying it new April 1st of 07. Just over 100k miles, and it's still running great...probably not worth much to anyone but me. Lots of miles of smiles.
punk.gif

Can't look at it as a financial investment. I see it as an investment in mental health. Planning on running my 08 until there is nothing left. Great looking bike!

I was at the local BMW/Ducati dealer recently. Rode all of the Italians and liked none. I thought that the K1600GT could be a worthy successor to the FJR, and it is a nice bike. That being said, they are too much money. My 2008 FJR and I will be together a very long time. I am, however excited to see what Yamaha is hiding for the 2016 model.

I agree with Spud's and others' points: monetary value on these old, well used girls ain't high, but utility and enjoyment still is while cost of ownership is low and getting lower. What is the difference in value between Spud's (our) older FJRs and the newest and best (K1600GTL) - $20K(?) - and what is the real difference in utility and enjoyment value, if that can be quantified? Marginal? Keep the $20K and spend it on riding places? Usually these machines defy applied logic and economics because of the emotional factor.

I also like to look at cost-per-mile-owned or cost-per-year-owned (which is one reason I own Toyota trucks - four of them in 30 years). First five years? Next five years? Makes sense to keep 'em.

In 12 years of riding FJRs, I have spent a total of $12,800 net out of pocket (not including farkles) to purchase them: an '03 (in 2003) and two '05s (one in 2012 and one just this year) - a total of 120K miles on them. I have been either shrewd or lucky, though an insurance settlement skewed the out-of-pocket marginally in my favor. Annual cost to own - a tick over $1,000/year; or $100/1000 miles. And my most recent '05 acquisition has under 20K on it and all farkles have transferred across the years. It is still a highly utilitarian and enjoyable motorcycle. I owe nothing and it has many years and many tens of thousands of miles of use left.

No bike is a worthy money investment. Some years ago I was talking to the salesman about trying to justify buying a brand new FZ6. He told me you can't really from a monetary stand point, but you can ride and enjoy it. Made sense to me and still does...

I wish mine looked as good as Spud's does. She's been rode hard and pushed to her limits many a time. Would I like a new Feejer? Why of course I would. Even If I do get a new one I will still be holding onto this one. I will ride it till it goes or I do. I hate to say it but most likely it will be me going first.

81K and going,

Dave

Look at the money spent per mile, and compare that to the guys who buy cruisers for looks and ride maybe 500 miles a year.

High-mileage FJR is a STEAL!!!!

I have 65k on my 09 and I will keep on riding it for quite a while. It still runs great, no issues, it fits me after lots of farkling, it is paid for and utterly worthless. I would like a cruise control but nothing else about a Gen III turns me on (I have GP/Penske suspension on my 09) but I am not willing to pay thousands for cruise control.

All you guys are talking about an FJR in general. I'm with you on that issue. I'm dealing with an AE. It's worth nothing on the market. My love for this bike is... Priceless! I will drop on the counter every dollar I have to, to keep it running like a Swiss watch. You guys have NO idea how much I LOVE THIS BIKE! I'm inches away from 100K. I do everything to it that needs to get done. That means I have a loooong way to go yet. It will be in my life until the end. Hopefully, it'll go first. Then.... I'll walk into the dealer crying like a baby and buy a new one. That's when I'll have to get used to pulling that Fucking clutch lever again! Ohhhhh, the Horror!! :(

I was at the local BMW/Ducati dealer recently. Rode all of the Italians and liked none. I thought that the K1600GT could be a worthy successor to the FJR, and it is a nice bike. That being said, they are too much money. My 2008 FJR and I will be together a very long time. I am, however excited to see what Yamaha is hiding for the 2016 model.
The 2016 is going to be a 1400cc with a 6 speed gear box. I read about it on the internet. Must be true.

Spud, I enjoyed your love letter to the FJR, but I cannot imagine putting mine away for months. Late fall and early winter are my favorite riding season!

From October to January, the sun is low in the sky, giving things a golden glow during the hours near sunrise and sunset; strong shadows flicker by at Mach 2 when riding through the National Forest over a coating of orange, yellow, and brown leaves; the ATGATT feels snug and tight with a fleece layer underneath -- like an Iron Man suit; there's always a thermos of hot coffee in the port-side bag for mid-afternoon stops; and I have to re-learn where my helmet vents are located, because the chilled air hits my forehead like little daggers.

I feel for you, brother. My FJR has already provided me with countless good times, and will provide hundreds more ear-to-ear grins before springtime comes around again.

That, my friend, is the way it is SUPPOSED to be!
...and the same reason I want to keep KrZy8 on the road to at least 200k if not more..

......while the 2013 sits patiently in the rotation.
Don, I bought my '08 as I was headed out to Deadhorse, AK on the '05 with just under 100k on the '05. My thinking was that the '05 would be "DONE" by the time I returned

from the Haul Road… That was 150K ago for the '05, the '08 is still waiting her turn. SO… your '13 better get adjusted for a LONG wait.

As to the old FJR values...

When I bought my '14 last fall the dealership offered me $4k for my '05 with just shy of 100k miles on it. Of course the primary stipulation of the offer was that I hand it over to them as it stood, fully farkled. They apparently liked the way that I had the bike set up for touring, having just returned from a cross country vacation trip.

I asked how much they'd give me for it if I put it back to stock and they said they wouldn't want it at all that way. The mileage was too high for a stock bike, but for one set up for touring it was OK.
mda.gif

So, I made the best deal possible: I sold it to my son for the $4k figure that the dealer had offered, fully farkled of course. I'd have just given it to him, but I like to instill a sense of pride in ownership. That was a win, win, win. ;)