Light mounts on top of the Mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I have been asked by 2 different members lately about my light mounts that I made a while back.

fjr-light-mounts.jpg
fjr-light-mounts-3200lm.jpg

I'm putting this out there to see if there are enough riders that may want a pair for their bike. I'm wanting to get around a dozen interested to justify the time I need to spend to finish welding and power coating them. I hope to have the new batch made at the end of November if not sooner.

I'm not sure if they will fit the GenIII.

Here is a link to my site with more pictures and instructions https://www.realtimeindustries.com/yamaha-fjr1300-light-mounts/

I like anything that keeps the lines of the bike smooth. Being a little higher should actually help and being mounted a little further in shouldn't hurt anything either.

The Mirror extenders would have to go underneath the brackets. Do you have any pictures of the extenders?

These would not work on a 3rd Gen as they are. The mounting surface of the mirror is sunken into the faring. You'd have to have some sort of spacers to bring the bottom of the mirror out towards the surface of the faring. It was quite a chore to get the WynPro Anti-Vibe brackets to clear on a third Gen. That thread is on here somewhere for anyone interested in doing this in a 3rd Gen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of having them up higher, but AZ says driving lights can't be more than 42" above the road surface, or they're restricted to off-road use only. It would be my luck to get pulled over by a cop with a tape measure and get dinged for it. That and having a gen 3 means going to the hardware store for extra washers and that's just way too much trouble to go through </sarcasm>

It wouldn't just be adding some washers for a third gen. You'd also have to extend the length of the studs on the back of the mirror, or else use furniture connector nuts like I did on the Anti Vibe Brackets.

If you are interested in how it works out on a 3rd gen, here's a link to the thread where I went through the whole spacer thing:

2nd/3rd Gen Mirror Spacers & LED Light Brackets

I have the Vstream on the bike in those pictures. I think the +2 would interfere and would need clearancing.

How well do you think these would handle heavier lights? I have Rigid Industries LED lights on my bike and am looking for brackets for 'em.

Thanks!

I had the 4" HID's mounted for a few months, they were pretty heavy. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

We finally have enough interested owners that warranted another run of these brackets. I email all those that expressed interest over the last year.

If you did not receive an email or would like a set of these bracket please let me know.

I would like a set. Please send me the order info. Thanks
Or better yet, post it here. This was far enough back I was wondering if the Gen 3 issue had been resolved. Do you know, Alex? Since the very sturdy brackets I have my Clearwater lights mounted on allow the full shock of a drop to be transferred directly to that weak-assed internal frame that the mirrors are mounted on, I think these brackets might be better in that way. Thanks.

Still mounted to the mirror mounts, so still supported by the "weak assed" internal frame beneath.

Of course we have never heard of this particular subframe breaking due to a static suspended load of aux lights, just when people drop their 700 lb bike on the mirrors. I've had my FZ1 mirrors and LR4 lights mounted with Wynpro Anti-Vibe brackets for quite a good while now with no detrimental effects. I don't think the clearwaters are that much heavier than LR4's. I'm pretty sure that you'll be OK. That is until you drop it. Again.