Ride Texas to D.C.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyRec

Reaction score
For those that have read my thread in Ride Planning here are notes that I made today along the way for those that want to read. I am making these notes for myself but thought that's the quickest and easiest way for me to share with y'all while on the road. My brother and I are having a good time!

-Ryan

Ride

7:15 114 miles to Hope to waffle shop, rain but not too bad, sun just coming up

10am 138 miles to 15 miles north east of little rock. Rain the whole way. Heated grips on because the wet gives a chill. Doing good. Comfortable.

12:50pm 140 miles to 15ish miles past Memphis. Lunch at Taco Bell. 365 miles to Knoxville. Planning two stops. We have passed the rain. Dry roads are nice!

2:30pm 65 miles. Stopped to get coat and gloves off in 85 degrees. And take 5 hour energy. Warm coat and post lunch got me sleepy.

4:50pm 135 miles to 20ish miles on the other side of Nashville. 160 miles to Knoxville. Plan to stop before for dinner. Feeling good. Neck tired. But overall surprised at how good we feel. Nice evening. Putting jacket back on. Sun beginning to go down.

7pm (8pm local) 125 miles to 30 miles shy of Knoxville destination. Stopped to eat dinner at Cracker Barrel. We've made good timing. Hands will be sore. Ready for a nice shower and bed. Temps dropped 20 degrees. Heated grips have been nice. Clothing has been nice. Lots of trucks on the road all day and even still.

9:30pm (local time) 30 miles to the Hampton Inn in Knoxville at Cedar Bluff. Need a shower and ready for bed. Up at 5:30. Want to hit the road by 6:30. 490 miles to D.C. Hope to be there by 4 to surprise Dad n Genia and in time to have dinner with them. Overall 770 miles and 15 hours today. Everything went as smooth as possible.

A shower and a bed does wonders for you on a trip like this. Keep the rubber side down and enjoy it!

Sounds like I need to redeem my Memphis lunch on the return home with some BBQ!! We had a great day. It's a good feeling being finished! (We are not talking about the ride home right now :) ) Day 2 notes and the surprise video to follow and this is probably my last report. I know the ride home I'll be gritting my teeth and focusing on munching miles. Thanks everyone again for the love and support. Y'all have been a big encouragement. Dad has a big day tomorrow with the marathon! I think we gave his energy level a good boost though!

Ride

Day 2

9:40am 195 miles to Wytheville, VA. Great stretch of miles to start the day. Surprised at how good we feel after yesterday. Most and fog setting in, putting liners in pants and jacket to stay warm.

12pm 125 miles to Lexington, VA. Lunch at Wendy's. Both of us starting to feel sore from yesterday's miles. 200 miles to go. Planning one more stop before the home stretch to D.C. Staying positive despite being tired. Still hoping to be there by 4pm.

2:30pm 120miles to Interstate 66. 5 hr energy drink. 70 miles left. Excited to be so close and on our last stretch. Let's go!!!

3:45pm 72 miles to Dad n Genia's hotel. Finally here! Surprise time!!!

Bozo's in Mason Tn just East of Memphis...so good I rode 500 miles to there to have lunch and then ride home. You won't regret it. Pulled Pork platter with beans is the real deal.

Awesome job guys! Safe ride and surprising a family member like that is really pretty incredible.

Thanks for sharing and taking us along.

Just this morning I saw the thread about wanting to surprise Pops. Awesome video!

Although I may be a little behind the times here, it warms my innards to see you and your brother went through with it. Way to go!