Michigan Fall Colors and a Beached FJR…

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing the adventure with us Wayne.

I've done most of those roads myself, either on a ZRX or my '04 FJR...nice pics!

--G

Great RR! Being originally from Detroit area, I've seen much of your route, although in a cage of one sort or another. Would be great to do on the FJR. Thanks!

Damn fine RR, Mr. EM!

gonna read it again and absorb it when time allows..

I saw Michigan, thought of my foray there at Bust's house, his dog shit the bed I was sleeping in, the bottle of whiskey left me hungover, the Toronto traffic was horrible and no lane splitting.

...ahh memories, like sticking a fjr in the sand...

......good stuff, all, why i attempt to stay alive, really.

Very nice ride report and pictures!!
good.gif

Thanks!!
smile.png

Great stuff, and thanks for the education. I looked at that image and said "Italy? On the 45th parallel?" I had to go give my son's globe a spin. Never realized that most of Europe is as far north as Canada. Interesting stuff.

Some of that riding looks miserable. I can handle riding in the south in the rain because it's nice and refreshing, but that looks pretty bad.

The weather was part of the adventure. We both have quality gear (don't get Julie started about her 'stich), and confidence on the bike. It was not all milk shakes and sunshine, but it was an awesome ride, rain and all.

Some of that riding looks miserable. I can handle riding in the south in the rain because it's nice and refreshing, but that looks pretty bad.

Nice picture documentary of the trip. Thanks for taking us along Wayne and Julie. Looks like you guys had a blast and memories forever.

The weather was part of the adventure. We both have quality gear (don't get Julie started about her 'stich), and confidence on the bike. It was not all milk shakes and sunshine, but it was an awesome ride, rain and all.

Rain is an inevitable consequence of riding where I do. Yes, I'd generally prefer it not to be raining, but it puts a very different texture to the scenery, and I usually get a very good feeling of satisfaction at the end of a rainy ride. Ok, some of that's the good feeling you get when you stop banging your head against a brick wall
banghead.gif
, but some is the sense of achievement of safely negotiating a difficult ride.

And it's fun riding through puddles
smile.png

Wife I spent that Friday evening cleaning and rolling out the red carpet for Wayne & Julie's arrival. Well, at least the house got clean.

Truth be told, I probably would have chickened out riding with you on Saturday. It rained and it rained hard. Forest rats have me nervous this time of year as it is. Glad you had fun and made it back safe. Invitation still stands if you want to try the west side.

Great adventure and pics/documentation thereof! Thank you for sharing, Wayne!

This was very entertaining, from the weather episodes, snagging flea bag motels, shoe deliveries, and, of course the beaching!. No one can say Julie has no bawlz! ;)

I remember that 45th Parallel from my trip out to Minneapolis to preview the Vikings new stadium build, right thru the city, maybe about a mile north from dead center, a sign claiming 'apolis as the biggest city the 45th intersects with.

Massena NY (way up for us on the mighty St. Lawrence) is our 45th connection....

45th-parallel.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm usually the guy riding in the rain waving to those sitting under the overpasses. I've no problem with rain and riding. However, I did learn many years ago that there's a big difference between southern rain and northern rain. My first summer trip to Colorado, up in the mountains, it started raining. I walked out in it like I did any Florida rain storm and promptly ran back under cover. I stood there staring at the sky trying to figure out why the rain resembled tiny frozen needles instead of my Florida huge warm wet droplets.

I figure in Mi, this late in the year, those had to be of the little frozen missile kinds. Granted, good gear goes a long way, but still, you'd have probably found this southern boy curled up inside watching a game on with a good drink instead of out riding. Maybe it's the limited season up there, because you never know when you are going to have to put the bike away for the winter. Me? I'll just wait till next weekend, or January to go riding.
biggrin.png

Great RR! I'm not the most frequent reader of such, but knowing the guilty parties encouraged me this time.