I'm torn between

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRRYDER

Reaction score
I've had my '06 Feejer since June, and like it a lot. Last weekend wife and I went out to Hesperia, CA for a long weekend. My brother-in-law rides a Beemer R1200GS. On Saturday and Sunday we rode all over the local mountains, up to Newcomb's Ranch, the back way, up to Big Bear Lake, all over the place. While there, I was perusing a Motorcycle Consumer News that just happened to have an article on the 2013 Feejer, and all the improvement Yamaha made, not the least of which is the elimination of the abrupt throttle and the addition of cruise control, plus a host of others that makes for a great improvement all around. On Tuesday, I take a quick look at Cycle Trader, and wouldn't you know it, there's a 2013 at a local dealer. I had to stop on the way home from work to at least look at it, right? Shouldn't have done that. 20k miles, Corbin seat, aftermarket windshield with a laminar lip. Now I'm thinking of trading all three of my bikes in on that '13. Don't really want to buy from a dealer, they want $11k, plus $500 for dealer prep, but a private seller will not take trades nor finance. What to do, what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice would be to try an ES version and see what you think then. You may want to stick with the A model but if you are going to upgrade for "electronic reasons" you might want to know what your options are.

As much respect as I have for the Gen2 bikes, the Gen3 is a step forward. A big step forward.

It has ~2500 miles on it already. How many miles do you need to register a used bike from outside of the commie state anyway?

I'm sure that minor number could be arranged on the return trip. You didn't think he was going to ship it, or trailer it home did you?
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the dealer and tell him, "Screw your extra add-ons (prep? What prep on a used bike?). What is your CASH out-the-door price?" If you can make a deal, then patiently sell your current stable steeds as a private party. You should be able to win on the purchase - cash talks - and win on the sales - you have no overhead to cover so keep all the proceeds. There is the matter of having the money to bridge the time between purchase and sales. Dealer may take a decent down payment and hold it until you sell your other bikes; or maybe you have it in your rainy day fund.

I think the answer to Fred's question is 7,000 miles. Yes, that's a 14-year-old Harley but a two-week-old Feej.

As much as I love my '13, I would have to turn it down if you're stretching the limits of your busget to get it. '14+ or figure on $600-$700 to upgrade the ECU for the higher cruise control limit. Especially out here in the west where 80mph cruise control is a good way to get run over.

<Big Snippage> What to do, what to do.
Save your hard earned $$$ 'Ryder and keep the '06. Increase your idle speed to +/- 1200 rpm and remove most of the throttle cable slack. Those two things will greatly reduce the off idle snatch.

Although you are in a somewhat captive market, IF your heart is set on the '13, offer the dealer $10k + TT&L

Just my $.02

Good luck!

--G

Thanks for advice, Fellow Feejers. I'm going to ride it tomorrow, and if it doesn't feel significantly better, I'm going to pass. Not crazy about that cement gray paint, either. I'll post results.

It has ~2500 miles on it already. How many miles do you need to register a used bike from outside of the commie state anyway?
I'm sure that minor number could be arranged on the return trip. You didn't think he was going to ship it, or trailer it home did you?
rolleyes.gif
7500 miles on it, at the time you buy it. However, it's my understanding that all the bikes are now 50 states bikes. If that's true then the mileage is a moot point.

If you look on the parts websites, there is still a C model designation...... and....... don't rush, if you miss this one you're about to look at, there will always be another one out there.

I've got a 2013 I just put up on Cycle Trader yesterday. 17k miles. Bunch of extras. Perfect condition. Asking $8900..

I'm in Arizona. I bought the bike in CA last year. As far as I know there is no emission requirement for any motorcycle in CA. Which is shocking considering how you get raped on everything else there. (22 years in LA ....... glad I'm gone)

I've got a 2013 I just put up on Cycle Trader yesterday. 17k miles. Bunch of extras. Perfect condition. Asking $8900.. I'm in Arizona. I bought the bike in CA last year. As far as I know there is no emission requirement for any motorcycle in CA. Which is shocking considering how you get raped on everything else there. (22 years in LA ....... glad I'm gone)
Kali does have emissions requirements. When my 06 suffered a deer strike, the dealer ordered the incorrect lowers.. which didn't have the built in molds to hold the evap canister.......

I'm sure that minor number could be arranged on the return trip. You didn't think he was going to ship it, or trailer it home did you? :rolleyes:
7500 in CA

Well, I rode the 2013- very nice; aftermarket windshield and Corbin seat. The 'shield would not lower and the added lip was too tall for me, plus there seemed to be an extra click when shifting from 1-2, and 2-3 gears. Two ride modes, Sport and Touring, changeable on the fly. The abrupt throttle was gone, it felt tight, has CC, and they'll give almost what I want for my two trades, but the OTD price is a bit high. Kelley BB is $10.6k I'm going to make an offer tomorrow, considerably less than 10.6k.

Did it pop out of gear at all in when it had that extra click? I'm worried that the engagement dogs in the tranny may be chipped or worn and that's a PITA job to fix.

Do remember that the Multi-function display needs to be on "windshield" for the rocker switch to work the windshield. Otherwise, you're just changing the info displays or heated grip settings.

Good luck!

--G