Leaf clearing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
As She was driving out, She wound down Her window, and said "There are a lot of leaves." I translate that as "There are lots of leaves that you will clear up." After 46 years of marriage I'm beginning to be able to do the translation.

These trees in paricular ...
(click on image for larger view)

... produce carpets of leaves

Today is Thursday, She's going away, back Monday.

Weather is damp, not actually raining. I get out the leaf blower/sucky thing, broom and other clearing-up stuff, and proceed to fill about a hundred plastic bags with leaves. Well, perhaps ten.

Why is this in the "Ride Reports" section? Well, I had to move the FJR out of the garage to get the garden trolly out. Then, She's away, the bike's out, the rain is just about holding off. Let's go find some more leaves!

I set off to do a loop. Didn't want to go too far (other things to be done at home), so I set off along my usual local start, heading generally towards the Derbyshire Dales. The temperature is very mild (14 C, 53 F). A little windy, but otherwise ok.

Traffic is light, bike feels good, I feel good. Although the roads I choose are mostly narrow and winding, I can find sufficient overtaking opportunities that I never feel frustrated, and can generally ride my own pace.

As I get into wooded areas, I'm concerned about leaves on the road. Mostly the roadway is reasonably clear, though often there are leaves between the car wheel tracks, so I'm not doing any rapid swapping from one track to the other - I generally move the bike to the side that gives the best visibility round the next corner. There were some road junctions where leaves seem to pile up, presumably because cars are travelling slowly here and don't blow them away.

After a while it starts to rain, I decide to head for home, so I tell Tomtom to find me a winding route. Tomtom takes me down a road I've never been on before, and before I know it, I'm going down a 1 in 4 hill with a couple of very sharp hairpin bends that's through a wooded area, so plenty of wet leaves on the road. Managed that without any drama, but it did have an affect in the sphincter region

Did get trapped behind a car following a heavy lorry (truck). They were travelling too quickly to ovetake safely, but obviously slower than I wanted to go. So, I found a side road, even narrower than the road I was on. After a few miles, it wound back onto the original road. I reached the junction, to see the lorry and car go by. Oh well, I pull in behind them, immediately find I can overtake the car. Followed the lorry for a few more bends, then click-click down two gears and I'm past him.

It's drizzling now, and my visor is misting a bit (pin-locks are good, but not perfect). I continue to follow Tomtom's directions until I'm on familiar roads, and home I go.

Arrive back on my road. The bike's behaved impeccably, the BT023's haven't given a moment's cause for concern. I ride up my drive ...

... to find the garden totally covered in a carpet of leaves.

The route (click on image for interactive map)

And Tomtom's summary

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure do love the place names in England. Darley Dale, Clay Cross, Sutton in Ashfield... evocative of places in Sherlock Holmes mysteries. So descriptive, and enticing, even if they turn out to be old industrial centers..

I sure hope to make a foray over that way some day, sometime before I become worm food. But I don't think I could easily get used to riding a motor on the wrong side of those cattle paths you call highways. First instinct might be the last one, eh? Might have to ring you up for a little follow the leader thing while you "clear your leaves." ;)

A number of years ago I spent a couple of weeks mostly in Scotland..... I'd take the cow paths over some of those frost heaved Vermont roads.... mostly the roads were good, albeit a bit narrower than here, and where shrubs grew they were trimmed straight up from the edge of the pavement. Don't worry about the wrong side of the road, you're over that in a day.

I drove in Japan for 4 years. It took me longer than a day to get used to it. But, I did. The first day I got back stateside, that's when I almost killed myself. :)

This reminds me that I have some leaves to clear...BRB!
grin.gif

Great use of your free time mcatrophy, nice ride!!

--G

I sure do love the place names in England. Darley Dale, Clay Cross, Sutton in Ashfield... evocative of places in Sherlock Holmes mysteries. So descriptive, and enticing, even if they turn out to be old industrial centers..
I sure hope to make a foray over that way some day, sometime before I become worm food. But I don't think I could easily get used to riding a motor on the wrong side of those cattle paths you call highways. First instinct might be the last one, eh? Might have to ring you up for a little follow the leader thing while you "clear your leaves."
wink.png
I'd rather ride a moto than drive a car on those narrow little paths. I rented a car one day in Scotland to see the Culloden battlefield and staying left wasn't much of a problem. Roundabouts were kind of a problem. They go counter-clockwise! But the biggest problem was the foolish gearshift lever (manual, of course) was on the left.
uhoh.gif
I kept reaching down to shift gears and rolling the right side window down instead.

Fred, if you go, you could save the phone call and just drop by his house. You know, "knock him up."

A few comments on your comments:

I sure hope to make a foray over that way some day, sometime before I become worm food. But I don't think I could easily get used to riding a motor on the wrong side of those cattle paths you call highways. First instinct might be the last one, eh? Might have to ring you up for a little follow the leader thing while you "clear your leaves."
wink.png
Fred - Place names usually have some historical significance.

• Darley Dale: Darley is derived from old English words that mean a clearing made by animals. Dale is a word for valley. Damned spell checker keeps trying to change "Darley" to "Harley".
  • Sutton in Ashfield: Sutton derives from "South farm". Ashfield means "Open land with ash-trees" - obvious when you think about it.
  • Clay Cross: Clay is a family name, Cross (of course) means an intersection. So presumably the Clays had a house at a cross-roads, probably in the 1700's.
Driving on the "wrong" side of the road: I had the problem when I went to the USA. Biggest issue was turning left at major junctions, a huge temptation to go to the left of the central reservation of the road I was turning into. Had to use a form of target fixation to aim to the right side of the road. When I've been to the Continent on the bike, I thought I would have a problem. But after the first roundabout it all seemed to fall into place, though I have made a couple of "side of road" mistakes, neither dangerous, both times when tired.

As for following me, I'd probably frustrate you. I tend to be very conservative when leading, too concerned with a following rider going too hot into a corner or following me in an overtake. Not doubting your ability, it's just the way I am. There are some riders I've led that I'm very confident about, but I've been riding with them on and off for years, I absolutely trust them not to do anything stupid. I'm reticent with any rider I don't know.

A number of years ago I spent a couple of weeks mostly in Scotland..... I'd take the cow paths over some of those frost heaved Vermont roads.... mostly the roads were good, albeit a bit narrower than here, and where shrubs grew they were trimmed straight up from the edge of the pavement. Don't worry about the wrong side of the road, you're over that in a day.
RaYzerman19 - Many of the smaller Scottish roads are some of the best motorcycling roads I know of. The more used ones are well surfaced, traffic is light, the scenery is second to none (of its type, no Arizona Deserts to be found!). While some of the country roads round me are similar in width and tortuousness, visibility round corners is not as good as in Scotland, the surface isn't maintained as well, and here we get a lot of lorries carrying stone, rock, clay, all sorts of stuff dug out of numerous quarries. Which make some of the roads extraordinarily slick at times.

A little bit of Scotland

Great use of your free time mcatrophy, nice ride!!
escapefjrtist - I don't get "free" time. There are always things to do. She obviously believes in stopping me stagnating in my retirement by keeping me busy. But I'm content with my lot.

I'd rather ride a moto than drive a car on those narrow little paths. I rented a car one day in Scotland to see the Culloden battlefield and staying left wasn't much of a problem. Roundabouts were kind of a problem. They go counter-clockwise! But the biggest problem was the foolish gearshift lever (manual, of course) was on the left.
uhoh.gif
I kept reaching down to shift gears and rolling the right side window down instead.

Fred, if you go, you could save the phone call and just drop by his house. You know, "knock him up."
SacramentoMike -
You are right about the preference for a bike not a car on these narrow roads. Trouble comes when you meet a lorry and there's no room to pass. Backing the bike is often impossible, and asking the HGV to back up can be tricky. In Scotland, they have passing places every few hundred yards, and you can generally see vehicles coming in plenty of time. Most drivers there are very good about pulling over for the bikes to go by, the worst are tourists in 4x4s, who obviously believe in "might is right" when it comes to road ownership. Gear-shift? Whenever I've been to the 'States I didn't have that problem, all the rentals were automatics. For which I was grateful.

...Very Nice, Thank You! JSNS, aye!
Wrote this up especially for you, someone's got to give you something to keep you going until you're fully fit
sleep.png
After the first of the year I'll be sending you a PM regarding Eire, a number of the FJR Forum Members will be flying in to Dublin to spend three nights together there. After that we will head off on our separate ways, some heading off to Europe and the others spending their time in the Republic. My Gal Donna and I are renting a car and circumnavigating Ireland, staying at least three nights up in Ulster. I'll buy you a Guinness or six at the Temple Bar on the River Liffey, we'll spend one night in the Stanley Clan ancestral hometown of Slane in County Meath. JSNS, Begorah aye! https://www.aerlingusvacationstore.com/vacation-packages/fly-and-drive

After the first of the year I'll be sending you a PM regarding Eire, a number of the FJR Forum Members will be flying in to Dublin to spend three nights together there. After that we will head off on our separate ways, some heading off to Europe and the others spending their time in the Republic. My Gal Donna and I are renting a car and circumnavigating Ireland, staying at least three nights up in Ulster. I'll buy you a Guinness or six at the Temple Bar on the River Liffey, we'll spend one night in the Stanley Clan ancestral hometown of Slane in County Meath. JSNS, Begorah aye! https://www.aerlingusvacationstore.com/vacation-packages/fly-and-drive
Is "Stanley" a cross between "Slane" and "Sláinte"? Are you going to inherit Slane Castle in due course?
Regretfully I won't be able to give you much advice on Ireland. We crossed directly from Dublin to Sligo, crawled a couple (?) of pubs, crawled into bed. The next day we more or less followed the north coast, stopping to visit the Devil's Causeway - I failed to see it, my ankle precluded any walking, but the others in the group did.

One of son's pictures

(click on image for larger view)

That north coast run was full of good scenery, really enjoyed it. Then overnight at Carnlough, to catch the ferry next morning from Larne.

mcatrophy, I'd go back to Scotland in the blink of an eye.... next time will be on a bike.
Every motorcyclist I've met who's been to Scotland wants to go again. Highly recommended.
But book your hotels early, ensure you have good rain-proof and warm layers, and take midge-repellant for when it doesn't rain. Whatever you do, don't try to sample all of the whiskies behind the bar in one evening.