2016 HW3 Rally - Grand Junction Colorado

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Well, folks are already signing up, so I guess registration for the 2016 How the West Was Won rally is officially open.

The HW3 (How the West Was Won) is a motorcycle endurance rally that is 32 hours in duration. Featuring some of the finest roads and unique and interesting bonus locations in the west, The HW3 promises to be the most fun you can have on two wheels in 2016. The event runs from Friday, August 19th through Sunday, August 21st, 2016.

The HW3 is a “scavenger hunt” type rally. Riders will be sent a bonus pack a week before the rally, with a list of the bonus locations. From that list, the goal is to plan a route to bag as many bonus locations to reach finisher status. Points will be tweaked so that finisher status will be about 1150 miles. Placement in the event is based on points collected above and beyond finisher status. This is primarily a street bike event. There will be bonus options that may be on dirt roads, but nothing that cannot be safely navigated via a street bike.

For 2016 we’ll be running out of Grand Junction, CO, smack dab between the best riding in the Colorado Rockies, and Utah’s National Parks. Epic riding, scenery and bonus locations will abound for this event!

The rider fee is $165 for single riders and $225 for two up couples. The fee includes two awesome banquets - TBD for Friday and a Steak dinner on Sunday after the rally, and rally shirt for all participants.

Please visit our website for more details and registration.

The rally is hosted at the Clarion Inn in Grand Junction, CO. We have a lot of room and guests are encouraged. There's tons of great sights to see nearby such as Colorado National Monument, Grand Mesa Scenic Byway, Dinosaur Diamond Scenic Byway, and the museum of Western Colorado. Rider guest cost is $25 per each banquet. Visitor cost is $30 per each banquet.

Oh, here's a picture :)

HR-Moki-Dugway.jpg

The rally is hosted at the Clarion Inn in Grand Junction, CO. We have a lot of room and guests are encouraged. There's tons of great sights to see nearby such as Colorado National Monument, Grand Mesa Scenic Byway, Dinosaur Diamond Scenic Byway, and the museum of Western Colorado. Rider guest cost is $25 per each banquet. Visitor cost is $30 per each banquet.
Oh, here's a picture
smile.png

HR-Moki-Dugway.jpg
I'll be there working diligently on the staff in any capacity Justin deems worthy... well, almost any capacity!
wink.png
Hoping to also have my bike there so I can ride some of the area(s) while the riders are out and about... and I know exactly where that photo is... that's my friend Scott to give it a little bit of scale!
cool.png

DSC_4961-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
and I know exactly where that photo is... that's my friend Scott to give it a little bit of scale! B)

Just one of the many awesome places riders might get to visit. This years rally is all about jaw dropping sights and roads that put an ear to ear grin on your face. And then of course the 32 hours of riding while trying to figure out a puzzle perhaps :) .Here's some more teasers :)

12185317_10206615038672350_965265280135287081_o.jpg

12186703_10206624510469139_3675914309225127437_o.jpg

Hey folks - up to 30 riders on the list, 7 of those are FJR's
punk.gif
. Almost 25% of the field so far. Would love to see some more FJR's there, come on and join us :) .

Keeping with the photo teaser theme - from our Facebook page:

"150+ years ago, travellers on the Overland trail would register their names on this lone monolith amidst the harsh surrounding landscape. For HW3 purposes, a photo will be acceptable."

12291113_1522015201444176_6831261789444872507_o.jpg

Justin, can you use any help at Rally HQ?
Hey John, thanks for asking. Not sure yet what we'll need for help at rally HQ. I'll be figuring that out in the next few months and can reach out to you if you're interested and we need any additional staff.

FYI Folks - If you're planning on attending the HW3 rally, please take a moment to register at your earliest convenience. Scouting will be starting in the next few weeks, and we're totally stoked over the awesome places riders will get to choose from for this event. Were over 40 riders now out of the original 50. 5 months to go, and it goes fast!

https://hw3rally.ledrider.com/

The event runs from Friday, August 19th through Sunday, August 21st, 2016, out of Grand Junction, Colorado. Riders will get to experience some of the best riding roads of the west, and visit epic bonus locations. We look forward to seeing y'all in August!

On another - currently at 10 FJR's on the list! Counting staff, 13 FJR's :)

Hey guys I live in Colorado and just bought my fjr. I'd love to join a meetup except for the 19th is when classes start again for me
sheep.gif
. Anyone know of some closer meetups in Colorado or near? Thanks!

Hey guys I live in Colorado and just bought my fjr. I'd love to join a meetup except for the 19th is when classes start again for me
sheep.gif
Red Lodge, MT in June

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/164666-2016-red-lodge-rendezvous-june-23-26th-the-schnizel/

NAFO, Montrose Springs, CO in July

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165403-nafo-2016-official-thread/

Those are gatherings though... not a rally like HW3. B)

sheep.gif
Red Lodge, MT in June

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/164666-2016-red-lodge-rendezvous-june-23-26th-the-schnizel/

NAFO, Montrose Springs, CO in July

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165403-nafo-2016-official-thread/

Those are gatherings though... not a rally like HW3.
cool.png
Thanks! I look forward to meeting some other drivers.