My bike of choice in 1999

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushes

Reaction score
I dug the old Triumph out of the barn today.

A new battery and fresh gas and and it fired right up after sitting for I believe about 4 years. Brakes and forks are needing seals and fluids, but it sounds so good..

I did a SaddleSore 1000 on this bike because I didn't know any better.
smile.png

20151106_164034_zpsn8xmsszl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a '99 Speed Triple in Roulette Green. No saddle sores, but it has gone from Orlando to L.A. (lower Alabama) more than once. No other motor sings that way a Triumph triple sings.

I had a '98 Triumph Tiger in BRG for several years. It is the only street bike I've ever owned that had less than 4 cylinders. I used it for street only but sold it to a guy up in Chico (Nor Cal) who has been using it as intended (modest adventure riding). Loved that engine too... plus it had dual Carbon Fiber Yoshimura Slip-Ons which sounded great (a bit noisy tho'). After that it was ST1100 and now the FJR.

REgards,

Mr. BR

Didn't one of the Big 3 make a 3 cylinder 4-stroke back in the late 80's or 90's? I recall hearing a strange syncopated beat then counted the pipes...

Didn't one of the Big 3 make a 3 cylinder 4-stroke back in the late 80's or 90's? I recall hearing a strange syncopated beat then counted the pipes...
Kawasaki 750 triple perhaps?

I want a Triumph badly. Just don't know which one I want most.
biggrin.png

I had a 1980 XS850 Special (triple) which was a bored out XS 750.

I got it with insurance money after my XS Eleven was stolen one month after moving to OKC.

I never took a liking to the triple as it did not have the "stretch your arms out" pull of the Big Four. Never thought I'd love a bike again until the FJR came along.

Kudos to rushes for riding so far on a butt burner.

The Triumph Triple is nothing new, the Trident was first produced in 1968 the one in my avatar is a 1973 first year five speed and first year disk brake.

My first one I had was a 72, I put a set of Kerker Headers on it. My old room mate told the dogs new I was coming home from work a minute before he heard me.

And lets not forget Slippery Sam! The following is a quote that I'm not sure is right I thought it was four????

"Slippery Sam' is known for winning five consecutive production 750 cc class TT races at the Isle of Man between 1971 to 1975."

The Yamaha triple IIRC, was the first shaft drive Yamaha build.

There is a guy in my town that has one of the Laverda triples. Neat looking but probably not fun to find parts for.

33oqlcm.jpg
Here is my first bike with a shaft drive...
Had one just like it! First shafty, and first full fairing - Vetter. Sadly any photos I had from that era were lost in a fire.
Great Minds Think Alike bluesdog and petey, I also installed a Windjammer Fairing by Craig Vetter on my '77! JSNS, nice tourer!