Dead Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt H

Reaction score
Question: should I pull out the (basically dead) battery on my 2013 and charge it, even though it's (just) now in storage for the Winter?

What happened was: after treating my gas and getting back from a nearby gas station after topping off the tank, I went iniside to let the mufflers cool down before putting the cover on.

Unfortunately, I left the key in the "On" position and in the time I was inside watching the NFL pre-game show (about 70 minutes or so), the battery drained enough to preclude starting (which I tried to do... ).

I'm not super-handy and don't really feel like dealing with the 2013 battery removal process, at least not right now...

Do I need to pull the battery out for some reason now?

BTW: I am very interested in re-locating my battery to under the seat (and switching to an AGM, or other appropriate type) battery.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I bought this bike in March 2013 and it's the original battery (and I didn't battery-tend it last winter).

Worth trying to recover it, a single deep discharge shouldn't kill it completely. Try it on a decent charger, one that will not overcharge it. You've nothing to lose.

Next season, get into the habit of turning off the engine with the key, not side-stand or kill switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with mcatrophy, should recover from what you did with a charge. Seems like moving it under the seat is more work than it's worth. Also, don't think there's enough room for a regular battery though a Li-iron might fit except those don't do well in cold weather or like parasitic draw over time. In the four years I've had my FJR I've never yearned for the battery to be under the seat.

Strange to hear someone would have a two year old OEM FJR battery go bad. I have had two 07's and currently a 2014ES. I have never replaced a battery on any of the bikes. I keep all motorcycle batteries on a Deltran battery tender when not riding or on out of town rides.

Leave it in bike get a charger on it. It'll be fine. Dead batterys go bad after they go dead and then freeze in very very cold weather.

And that usually takes days or weeks of freezing temps. To totally kill it.

Take the opportunity to get a good battery maintainer charger and mount the quick connect to the battery while you're in there. Then you can hook up and disconnect the charger any time you wish when it's time to put it away in the future.

I really like and use these chargers.

<a href='https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200456086_200456086?hotline=false&cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Batteries%2C%20Chargers%20%2B%20Jump%20Starters&utm_campaign=Schumacher&utm_content=167826&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=167826&gclid=CjwKEAiAgvyxBRDmuviAj67g-XQSJABTLMcHVIH1sW16d-Jo2Cyo2_nCdcOtzkwQT92jo5ahyW27sRoCRBPw_wcB'>https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200456086_200456086?hotline=false&cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Batteries%2C%20Chargers%20%2B%20Jump%20Starters&utm_campaign=Schumacher&utm_content=167826&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=167826&gclid=CjwKEAiAgvyxBRDmuviAj67g-XQSJABTLMcHVIH1sW16d-Jo2Cyo2_nCdcOtzkwQT92jo5ahyW27sRoCRBPw_wcB</a>

Strange to hear someone would have a two year old OEM FJR battery go bad...I have never replaced a battery on any of the bikes...
How many months a year does San Ramon have daily high temps in the low twenties?

I'll concede that sustained high temps is also bad for batteries.

Make sure you get a battery maintainer. Some call it a trickle charger and mean the same thing.

But, a trickle charger will not detect a full battery and switch to a float charge.

Get one that will change to a float charge when the battery is topped off.

Deltran, yuasa and other brands are good. I got my 1 amp yuasa on amazon for about 30 bucks. Works well.

I agree that the battery can likely be salvaged. If you elect to use a charger, please make sure that the charge rate does not exceed 2 amperes. One amp is even better. Do not overcharge.

I did the same thing to my '13 except it was sitting outside a restaurant. I rolled it down a hill to start it and have been riding it since. That was about a year and a half ago. I'll agree that it should be fine but you need to get it on a maintenance charger.

I'm not "super handy" either, but I didn't find it that difficult to get to the battery. You might have the later panel that makes it easier to get out. If not, there are threads here that explain how to modify the existing fairing panel to greatly ease battery removal.

..Sorry. But if you don't have the energy to find out how to uncover the battery on your motobike..

... I'll be nice and not make the concluding statement...

FYI... The OEM battery is an AGM type battery already.

I do recall a post where someone went through the effort to relocate the battery where the tool tray is now. Didn't seem worth the effort to me then (or now)

FYI... The OEM battery is an AGM type battery already.
I do recall a post where someone went through the effort to relocate the battery where the tool tray is now. Didn't seem worth the effort to me then (or now)
I've seen a bike with a Shorai battery under the saddle. But like you, I didn't see how it was worth the effort. And for person who has admitted to being "not super-handy" that'd be a heckuva project ;)

Consider how often you really have to get to it versus the hassle of trying to relocate it.

Strange to hear someone would have a two year old OEM FJR battery go bad...I have never replaced a battery on any of the bikes...
How many months a year does San Ramon have daily high temps in the low twenties?

I'll concede that sustained high temps is also bad for batteries.
I've been in this area for over 36 years and recall the temp dropping to 28F once or twice for several hours. My vehicles are in a fully insulated garage. which has never seen temps below 50F. Can't imagine not having a battery tender on a bike that rests where temps are below freezing for days on end.

FYI... a battery's internal, self discharge rate slows at lower temperatures. (see page 6)

My son's (my old) 2005 FJR has a 6 year old WestCo battery in it. Last winter the garage under his little cabin in the woods was full of the landlord's construction stuff, so the bike sat for the entire Vermont winter in an unheated, unelectrified barn. When he went back (after mud season) to extricate the bike, extension cords and charger in hand, he was pleased to find the voltage still in the 12's, and strong enough to start the bike and ride it out of there.

This year the bike will be in his heated garage, and on a battery tender. No sense pushing your luck. ;)

Very simple..........battery can't hold a charge............buy a new bike. Yer rich.......yer white......have a coke and smile.....

Though I didn't relocate my battery - I did run some extensions to the tool tray area under the seat. Not that I have a problem with gaining access to the battery, its a 2 minute job, taking of the seat off and having posts right there is worth it to me.... Just in case I need a quick jump for some stupid reason or want to have easier access to the battery tender.