Sometimes It Just Works Out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Ya know sometimes it just works out.

Since my crash in September, Ive had some time to think about things. Ive spent about a month hanging my lip and sucking my thumb in the corner. That stuff never last very long for Pants. Take assessment of what is controllable really think about this and mitigate your future in your favor if you can. The rest while important, is not best served with an overage of energy.

At some point, its time to either crap or get off the pot. I took the proverbial dump and started looking forward. I settled my insurance claim for my totaled 2014 FJR, and the next day, picked up a used bike of the same year and model. At only 1400 miles, gently used would be a more proper term. I rode it 70 miles home on Wednesday like a deer in the headlights. Im still pretty skittish and the accident keeps coming back in my memory. I know these things take time, and Im not going to rush it.

But we are a social creature and during times of elevated emotion, most of us cope better with companions who are sympathetic. I need a ride but more importantly, I need a riding partner. Someone to hold my hand while I get re-familiarized with my passion.

Back at work, Thursday flew by like a fart in the wind and before I know it, the weekend is fast approaching. I hadnt made much plans. I figured I would wing it and see what happens. Then out of no where, a text message appears:

(Poolboy) Hey Pants just wanted to let you know that Im in Harrison tonight and heading south tomorrow toward Lafayette. If you have some time..

Hot damm!!! My brutha from another mutha out in Iowa is migrating south for the winter!!!! Of course the reply was hell yeah. Poolboy rode south into the rain and grabbed a hotel in Lafayette for Friday evening. On Saturday, he rode to my house and the radar looked like dooms day. So I cooked lunch and in the afternoon, we took a ride in my truck to see some sights. He spent the night at my house.

On Sunday, as he was heading toward Florida to visit family, I chose a nice route heading East through the swamp.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

After coffee, Poolboy packed his bike, we suited up, and I led us about 10 miles to the great town of Scott, Louisiana aka Where the West Begins. I figured we might enjoy an authentic Cajun breakfast.

IMG_1707_zpstyd3ysas.jpg

A couple of links of Boudin (rice and meat dressing in a sausage casing), some Cracklins (pork skin fried in hog lard), a couple of Boudin Balls (rice and meat dressing balls battered and deep fried), and chocolate milk. No extra charge for the heart attack!!!!

IMG_1708_zpsg0wahvog.jpg

We rode across the Atchafalaya Basin Interstate Bridge and stopped at the Tiger Truck Stop. While I gassed up the red head, Poolboy was getting acquainted with Mike the tiger.

IMG_1710_zpsnmdqrjmj.jpg

We rode through the swamp and at the Mississippi River, I turned south to ride down the river road a while. Its sugar harvesting season and yesterday I stopped my truck to show Poolboy the cane, and let him chew on a stalk a while. Today, he got see how it is harvested.

IMG_1712_zpscexeoogt.jpg

Since it is Sunday, I thought a quick stop at the self proclaimed Smallest Church in the World was called for.

IMG_1714_zpsf56yoy4m.jpg

Then it was more riding through the swamp under a mild windy and cloudy sky. I stopped at Lake Veret to look for Bald Eagles and we saw two of them fly right over our head.

IMG_1715_zpszqga8vve.jpg

After that, we rode south about 20 minutes to Morgan City, where he turned left for points East and I turned right for home. It was a great ride. By the time I got home, after about 200 miles for the day, I was feeling much more comfortable and settled. It was great to have Poolboy there to hold my hand, and to show him some of my back yard.

Things dont always go perfect, but sometimes. it just works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see piccies, just lots of Photobucket "Want to pay us lots of money?" thingies. Want to see picces.

Ah, that's better :) .

I'm having aphotobucket problem - I think I need to re-load the pics. They were crappy cell phone pics anyway.

Must be Monday!

I'm having aphotobucket problem - I think I need to re-load the pics. They were crappy cell phone pics anyway.
Must be Monday!
Photobucket 'free' accounts limit the client to 2 GB storage and 10GB/month of bandwidth. Have you exceeded this? If yes, send $$$. If no, send hate email to Photobucket a message and ask WTF is wrong with my account. I can go to your Photobucket account and see your pictures and there is nothing wrong with your links.

Must be Monday!
Looks like ALL of your Photobucket stuff is not showing. As Ionbeam suggests, you have likely exceeded bandwidth or max storage. I just had a look at the "Get Busy Living" thread and those are showing the same graphic from Photobucket. I expect that the images will return when you either reduce the number of photos you have on the site or pay them money. There are some other "free" picture posting sites out there you might want to try.

I, too, am looking at the pics on photobucket. How come no shots or mention of Mark's license plate? Those aren't his initials you know!
tonguesmiley.gif

Glad you were able to get out and ride with someone.

I definitely did not exceed any limit. I'll send them a note. Sorry guys

For the Ride Reporters here, what other photo sharing sights do you use?

I've been using SmugMug.com for a few years with no problems (there is a fee, but it's quite reasonable). Very easy to grab links for posting elsewhere.

One of the limits is how many downloads of the picture there have been. Your photo essays are pretty popular.

I use them so much (on multiple forums) that I gladly pay the PB annual subscription fee. I think it is around $25/year these days.

I stand corrected - it is a bandwidth problem. I moved this ride report to my other Photobucket account and it worked.

I wouldn't mind paying the fee, but I don't see how that increases my bandwidth - just the total storage amount.

I'll email them and see what I can learn.

Subscribing does both. It increases your space allocation (to something ridiculously huge) and it eliminates any bandwidth usage limits.

Multiple free accounts, huh? Hmmm... is that allowed in the end user license you agreed to? (serious question as I'm not sure)

edit - I just checked. I have the smallest size subscription package. It is 32 GB total. of which I am using just over 4 with a shit ton of images and a few videos being hosted. Bandwidth for subscribers is unlimited.

Don't need photos, I need Boudin and Boudin Balls.
You should be ashamed. It is bad enough to eat the full grown Boudin, but to eat the Boudin Balls is just not right. We already have a shortage of Boudin and when they cook the balls to feed to folks like you, the male Boudin cannot reproduce.
uhoh.gif

I know, I am a jackass. Sorry.

On a VERY serious note, Pants and I did not communicate properly. I was leaving him alone so he could ride by himself with no pressure from me. I was afraid that if I were tagging along behind he might push things harder, sooner for several reasons. I thought I was doing the right thing. If I had known what he really needed I would have taken time off from... everything and Pop and I would have been there. I am left a bit sorry and disappointed.

Don't need photos, I need Boudin and Boudin Balls.
You should be ashamed. It is bad enough to eat the full grown Boudin, but to eat the Boudin Balls is just not right. We already have a shortage of Boudin and when they cook the balls to feed to folks like you, the male Boudin cannot reproduce.
uhoh.gif

I know, I am a jackass. Sorry.

On a VERY serious note, Pants and I did not communicate properly. I was leaving him alone so he could ride by himself with no pressure from me. I was afraid that if I were tagging along behind he might push things harder, sooner for several reasons. I thought I was doing the right thing. If I had known what he really needed I would have taken time off from... everything and Pop and I would have been there. I am left a bit sorry and disappointed.
Don't beat your good self up. Sometimes it 'just happens'.. like the way 'pants started this thread. I'm like you; like to fix everything. But sometimes, well, the good stuff just happens without us. Cherish the moment. Pants is riding and having fun. He's overcoming and enjoying. No matter how it happens, just appreciate it happens. Then go ride some more and appreciate your bud.

Carver is correct, but that's not exactly how is turned out. I really wasn't planning on riding the bike much this past weekend - still kind of skittish and the weather forecast wasn't good at all. But Poolboy showed up and it just felt right. I did invite G-squared and RFH to join us on Sunday, but the timing wasn't good at all for them. RFH - I believe your thoughts were astute - give some space and let him ease into things. But Poolboy rides very conservatively and that encouraged me. Again - not over reading into things, but man - I'm on the fence here and out of no where, a riding buddy shows up from Iowa that is a perfect blend of what I need. Someone to hold my hand, but (even unintentionally) not challenge me to push myself more than I should.

It just worked out well.

So my friend, please do not dismay. You have been a HUGE help over the past 6 weeks and I appreciate it much more than you know.

Looking forward to more great adventures ahead.