AS Electronic Clutch Bleeding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulNicholls

Reaction score
I have a '06 AS model which needs a clutch bleed .. have tried using a mighty vac with no success , cant get any fluid to flow apart from the initial fluid below the bleed nipple ... Am dreading removing the swing arm , anyone done this without resorting to heavy engineering? Pics gratefuly received !

I believe it's been done by cycling the ignition (which exercises the clutch), so there's no need for the mechanical cycling.

One link here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious since I don't have an AE, AS or whatever. Do you have to continue to repeatedly cycle the key on & off or does just once do it?

Not sure what's going on Paul. I can bleed my 08 AE with the Mighty Vac and get continuous flow without even turning the key. You may want to remove the nipple and cover the line to stop fluid from leaking. Then put a wrap of Teflon tape on the nipple threads and screw it back in. Maybe you're losing suction through an air leak around the threads.

Maybe , I did wrap the threads with teflon tape which did improve things but it was still a slow process, without turning the key there was no flow at all .... from the looks of things every damn bike is different lol

Have bled the clutch through , but am still gettting intermittent SH_26 code and the bike stalls when you put her into gear .. anyone got any ideas ? Hoping its not the clutch actuator ... arrgg! Bike is an '06 with 34k on the clock

Have bled the clutch through , but am still gettting intermittent SH_26 code and the bike stalls when you put her into gear .. anyone got any ideas ? Hoping its not the clutch actuator ... arrgg! Bike is an '06 with 34k on the clock
Some bits from the manual (click on image for larger view)

Possible causes that come to mind:

Fluid not bled fully

Clutch not assembled quite right (I did this on my first soak)

Bad actuator

Broken actuator mounting bracket (a recall on very early '06 bikes)

As Mcatrophy pointed out, do you know that the recall on the actuator mounting bracket was completed? If not, that bracket may be broken and not letting the bike shift. Take a look just above the left side passenger peg along the rail. If the actuator is loose, there's your problem. If that's not it, it could be the actuator itself.

Nope havent done a clutch soak as yet .... managed to very slowly bleed the clutch fluid by cycling the ignition ( and i DO mean VERY slowly) as far as im aware all relevant recalls have been done ... am not sure if the clutch actuator mounting was a UK recall ? .....

Not sure if that was a North America recall only, but it affeted all 2006 AE bikes prior to a cretain date. The subframes were manufactured too weak to handle the stress, so were breaking. Regardless of where they went, all those bikes had the same frame, so if your actuator mount is broken, it's still your issue, recall or not.