Why does the Feej have a heat shield on the right, not on the left?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoknewit

Reaction score
How come the Feej has a heat shield on the right pipe, and not the left?

Can someone 'splain?

Subject has been raised before.

Not helpful.

Spoke to my dealer about it some time back, he suggested it was because the run of the right pipe was further out than the left. Not important enough for me to go and measure it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Subject has been raised before.
Given the title of that thread, it's little wonder I didn't find it.

Not helpful.
That's what FNGs are for :)
I found it with a two minute search using the Forum's own search function (acknowledged to be pretty poor as search functions go). I did have the advantage of remembering the question had been asked before, however.

I'd suggest you keep the sarcasm down a bit as well, at least until you're more familiar with what goes on here. You'll find the best knowledge-base about the FJR here, but some of the members can be a little acerbic at times, which has driven more than one newby away quite quickly. Shame, because some of the most prone to dogpiling are also the first ones to come to your rescue when you have a real problem.

I found it with a two minute search using the Forum's own search function
I should have spent a little more time searching before asking the question.

I'd suggest you keep the sarcasm down a bit as well, at least until you're more familiar with what goes on here. You'll find the best knowledge-base about the FJR here,
Understood...no offense intended. I was actually making fun of *myself.* Sincerely appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!

How come the Feej has a heat shield on the right pipe, and not the left?Can someone 'splain?
I just went and just bought another right one, two OEM clamps, one OEM screw made a small c-bracket and mounted it on the left side. Looks totally OEM. Not cheap, all the required parts run around $150, but it looks awesome. Farlaner ( I believe that's his handle) did it to his 2013 and I saw it when he posted the pictures on this forum that were taken when MC Enterprises designed the cages for the Yamaha. They used his bike and he posted all the steps on this forum. He graciously wrote me the step by step instructions. I would load pics of my 2015ES, but don't know how to do that. If you sent me your email I can mail you some pics, or of you have WhatsApp on your cell phone it can send some pics.

No way I'd have done it for $150.
not_i.gif

I got an aftermarket one for $12 and slapped it on. Doesn't look cheap IMO, or even all that obvious that it is there.

009_1.jpg

Where did you get that shield and how much $$? Did it come with clamp? Thanks.
It is a Cobra Universal Heat Shield model #99-0155P, 1 3/4" x 7". And yes it does come with the clamps.

First and second genners have been known to buy two of them, one for each side.

I bought it on Amazon. Seems the price has gone up on it a bit.

Maybe google around for the best deal.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-cid="1270361" data-author="Fred W"><p><br /></p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-cid="1270350" data-author="art miller"><p>Where did you get that shield and how much $$? Did it come with clamp? Thanks.</p></blockquote> <br />It is a Cobra Universal Heat Shield model #99-0155P, 1 3/4" x 7".  And yes it does come with the clamps.<br />First and second genners have been known to buy two of them, one for each side. <br /> <br />I bought it on <a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU5MMA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00" data-cke-saved-href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU5MMA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00">Amazon</a>.   Seems the price has gone up on it a bit.  <br />Maybe google around for the best deal.<br /> <br /><p><br /></p></blockquote><br />Thanks Fred, Just ordered one from Dennis Kirk. The price was $16.88. Great savings compared to what the stealer's charge!!! I am thinking it may be a good idea to put the right side guard up for sale and buy another from Kirk for a replacement. If the Yamaha OEM guard and hardware if approx. $150, I would be willing to sell it for $75 and I will have beer money.