Veteran's Day Ride to the MAAM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Flyer

DC Commuter Commando
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Rode to Reading, PA on Veteran's Day with my buddy, John, (Nomad rider) to see the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum. My brother met us there. Great little museum. I specifically wanted to see the progress made on their P-61 Black Widow. They plucked it off a mountain in New Guinea many years ago and have been working diligently to return it to flying status. I last saw it in the 90s when it still fit in the back workshop. It is now up on the gear, with most of the structure in place. They are manufacturing the outer wing spars, and there is still a long way to go. I hope to see if fly in my lifetime.

They have a TBM Avenger, B-25 Mitchell, Stearman, and some other warbirds that they fly regularly. Hangar was jam packed with airplanes, and there were many on static display on the ramp. The airshow in June is supposed to be pretty good. I hope to get up there next year for it.

My Dad was a Sargeant in the 421st Night Fighter Squadron in the Pacific. They flew P-61s. He was a 'radio operator' (radar operator), sat in the back. Unfortunately, he never got a chance to tell me any war stories.

P-61 is still bare aluminum in the back corner of the hangar.

20151111_114139_zps5pajefqk.jpg

20151111_114358_zpsel4ukaus.jpg

This is the back cockpit.

20151111_115520_zpsq4crzjig.jpg

Avenger

20151111_113603_zpsuyfq0rg1.jpg

Mitchell

20151111_113721_zpswyy5qrfv.jpg

R-4d-6 (Navy)/DC-3

20151111_105530_zpswh3s924n.jpg

Me and my brother

20151111_115400_zps7ipzfwfs.jpg

My buddy, John.

20151111_103022_zpshqwly2rv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I don't know your name! My father and I used to fly (on-line) with our Microsoft Flight Simulator. We both had downloaded the MAAM DC-3 which has been replicated in unbelievable detail? Everything from start up to the old Sperry Navigation is absolutely fantastic. The sound gave me tingles every time I heard it! My Dad passed away this past March at 95 so he had a very good go with no complaints, we sure had fun "flying", this old bird!

Sounds like a great time, "flying" with your Dad. Sorry to hear of his passing, but, as you said, he had a good go.

My Dad passed when I was 7. Family said he didn't speak of the war much. My best friend's Dad was a B-17 Navigator over Germany at the ripe old age of 18. He did tell me some amazing stories. He passed about 5 years ago.

Chris, by the way.

One of the volunteers who helps out at MAAM is Chris Comly the Harley Sportster rider who completed the 2015 IBR. I keep meaning to go over. It's less than 90 minutes from me and I've yet to visit.

I don't know much about military planes (or any planes for that matter), but I really enjoy seeing them either in display or preferably at an air show. I particularly enjoy watching the P-51 mustangs fly over - that R/R engine just sounds like its running very smooth and efficiently. Maybe it's not, but it sounds and looks that way.

Also, if you are ever in my neck of the woods (south Louisiana), there is an aviation museum that might interest you:

https://louisianastatemuseum.org/museums/cypress-sawmill-collection-and-wedell-williams-aviation-museum/

It's a pretty cool place. I'd be happy to take you there.

Thanks for sharing.