Gen3 and Gen2 Wheels, the same?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not convinced the comparison matrix answers the question. The simple answer is no.

Gen 2 changed its ABS sensor system after '07 (that is in the matrix), so the earlier Gen 2 well will not fit the Gen 3.

Although the Gen 3 uses the same ABS system as the later Gen 2, from memory (always suspect) there are different spacers between the later Gen 2 and the Gen 3. But I stand to be corrected on that, it could be that the later Gen 2 is the same as the Gen 3 (colours possibly excepted, of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ignacio" data-cid="1270807" data-time="1447565016"><p>

Covered in the <a href='https://www.fjrforum.com/files/fjrcomparo.pdf'>FJR Model Comparison Matrix</a> we suggested you read when you signed up.</p></blockquote>

Interchangeability of Gen 3:wheels not addressed in the chart that I could find

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ignacio" data-cid="1270807" data-time="1447565016"><p>Covered in the <a href='https://www.fjrforum.com/files/fjrcomparo.pdf'>FJR Model Comparison Matrix</a> we suggested you read when you signed up.</p></blockquote>

Interchangeability of Gen 3:wheels not addressed in the chart that I could find
It's there. In the Notes column.

All years likely to fit non ‐ABS '03 to '05 (assuming purchase of a spacer). '04 to '07 ABS interchangable, '08 ‐ '11 ABS interchangeable, ('04 to '07 ABS not compatible with '08 ‐ '11 ABS due to different sensor ring)

Ok, I read the notes again, and I'll be damned if I see the Gen 3 ('13-'15) mentioned in that note. Maybe I need new glasses. But if I do my wife does too because she doesn't see any reference either. :)

Ok, I read the notes again, and I'll be damned if I see the Gen 3 ('13-'15) mentioned in that note. Maybe I need new glasses. But if I do my wife does too because she doesn't see any reference either.
smile.png
That detail I'll update when the '16 comes out. It hasn't changed since '08.

So you are saying that the 08-12 wheels are the same as 13-15? And the notes need to be updated?
'08-'15 are the same (and probably '16 when it comes out). And notes need to be updated. There are also color coding that's current.

Latest posts