Now on the other side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

Reaction score
Went for a group ride today up in the back roads of Kentucky. Was riding in a narrow road that can support 1.5 cars zipping up and down hills and around curves. I was really enjoying myself when I topped a hill and saw the curve banking left. As I pitched it left in the turn I see a SUV coming at me in the middle of it. At that point I knew things would not be good. I could take the SUV or I could take the ditch. The ditch was my choice so I let the bike drop over into the drainage ditch. Rode it through some how but now I was stuck in the foot deep rough as hell ditch applying brakes. It was just like riding a bull and I ended up being ejected which was a good thing.

I got a good look at the beautiful blue sky then the pavement as hit it on my left side/back and proceeded to slide for some distance. All I remember saying was shit, shit, shit! When I stopped I got up thanking myself for the ATGATT. The jacket left shoulder and sleeve had worn through to the armor, it is a tourmaster. My pants however only had strains as they are motoport.

The bike mad as soft of a landing as it could in the ditch/pavement. Left front fairing is cracked and scraped and the saddlebag is scraped up also. That will be sent to our resident fixer here when I contact him. Will have to buy the parts for the front. I had to bend the shifter back to ride it as it was bent back. If my foot was there it might not have been so good.

Now I am sitting here feeling the pain fro the landing but I walked away so it is good.

Whew, good for you.

Agree with the old guy, see a doctor sooner than later if the pain continues. A chiropractor may be in order in a week or two.

Old Michael speaks with wisdom.

Otherwise, count your blessings: you were ATGATT, so you are obviously a smart and experienced rider!

Hope you heal well, and get your bike fixed to as good as new. That was my biggest fear when I rode cross country last September, luckily I never had to hit the eject button.

I had my xray tech shoot rib films this morning at work. Looking at them showed me 2 fractured ribs which explains the pain. Since I am the Doc I had a good idea of the extent of my injuries. No the SUV did not stop. That was the last thing on mind at the time. Have to give up the gym for a while now, lol. Maybe 16k miles this year was too much.....Nah
not_i.gif
Back in the saddle. Guess that means I am addicted and need a twelve step program.

Take your time and heal well. Very glad to read that you were not hurt worse

Pretty crappy for that vehicle not to stop

What part of Kentucky were you riding at? Just curious.

These kinds of decisions are hard to make, but must be in about .01 seconds. You are alive so that surely means you made the right choice. I'd probably have tried to thread the needle - miss the SUV yet stay on the road. Probably would have succeeded at neither. Heal up, fix the bike, then go ride some more of those fabulous Tennessee roads.

Last edited by a moderator: