2004 Fuel gauge stuck on empty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sv650racer

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been covered before, and I'm sure it has, but my search skills are not finding the right topic.

So, my 2004 FJR has a fuel gauge that is stuck on empty no matter how much fuel I have in the tank.

I had been monkeying around behind the instrument cluster, and while I can't place the time the gauge quit working with the work I was doing, I was wondering if there was any connections I should check on the instrument cluster side before taking the tank off and removing the fuel pump.

If anyone can give me some troubleshooting tips for the gas gauge, I'd really appreciate it.

Secondly, if I do find that the float/sending unit is bad, can it possibly be fixed by someone competent in electronics? I hate to have to buy a fuel pump over a gas gauge problem.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Sorry. I double posted. Was trying to move it to the other forum where I thought this topic was more appropriate, but the admin locked that one instead of this one. Oops. My mistake. Also learned that I can't delete a post once it's on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
First,lift the tank,not remove it,and check if the terminals in the connectors on the fuel pump if they are no corroded,also spray some contact cleaner there.

The second thing where you can check is the connector on the instrument cluster.Also between the instrument cluster and the fuel pump is a big connector but i don't know where it is.Is the connector A in the wiring diagram.Find it and check it if everything are in good condition there,i don't think that you can repair something in the fuel pump or in instrument cluster.Here is a wiring diagram from the 2003 but i don't think that it has many differences in that area.Perhaps could help you.Good luck!

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/FJR-wiring.pdf

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/FJR-wiring-4page.pdf

Also here you can find many fuel pumps if the problem is inside there..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfjr1300+fuel+pump.TRS0&_nkw=fjr1300+fuel+pump&_sacat=0

Also i see that the fuel pump has two connectors inside,i don't know if somewhere there is a bad contact..

s-l1600_zpsg7ltxkso.jpg

Unlikely to be a connector problem. The meter unit flashes all segments of the fuel display with either an open circuit or short circuit gauge connection. At least it does for a Gen 2, I'm not sure if it's the same for a Gen 1.

I had at least one BMW K bike that had a faulty sending unit, and it displayed empty all the time. BMW put out a recall and replaced what were identified as bad sensor strips. The recall was maybe 2 years after the bike's model year, and many units were still in warranty.

My 2002 and 2011 Bonnevilles are fuel gauge free, as are my 2007 G650 Xmotos. So if you don't want to spring for the repair, you could just watch the trip odometer and fill up every 200 miles.

This new fangled idea of fuel gauges on motorcycles is just an example of high technology run amock
rolleyes.gif

If all of the wiring and connectors check out good, especially on the gauge end since work had been done in there recently, then I'd check the fuses, then the sending unit coming from the fuel pump assembly. Going off othe wiring schematic, it looks like there's a green / white and a black / white wire that goes to the sending unit potentiometer. Test that circuit with a multimeter. There should be a change in resistance as the float moves up and down inside the tank. Look for a steady transition of resistance from low to high. If it jumps around any then it's likely bad. Those are the easiest things to check for first it seems. If everything looks good on the connections, fuses, and on the sending unit, then it seems like it'd have to be in the multifunction display fuel portion is gone bad.