Motorcycle Paradise 2014 FJR Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
My brother sent me this blog article, expressing his concern that the FJR review show the bike has "center of gravity issues and is top-heavy and understeers". He asked me what my experience has been, and as the owner of a 2005 with upgraded suspension, this motorcycle is unrecognizable. He compares the steering to a Suzuki M109. The article goes into some suspension modifications where the author even lowered the forks and install longer dog-bones on the rear suspension.

I looked for a discussion of this review on the forum, and could not find it. I think the author is a poor rider, nut-case or got a bike that was just not typical (I'm pretty stuck on nut case and poor rider). Anyone else have some ideas on how to respond to this nonsense? This is pretty long and skimming to the end saves some time. The author rides in Japan and appears to have never gotten his FJR to corner well. I find it almost effortless to set a turn with the FJR and ride the rail.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300 detailed review

EDIT: Quoted article has been deleted due to bullshit overload. Please follow link for a laugh at a loon

Last edited by a moderator:
That has to be the longest copy and paste in history. TL/DR

Waiting for Readers Digest version.

I cut a bunch of it for you. I had not read the whole thing myself. Looks like he got banned from FJRowners forum...I can see their point. What a whiner.

Anyone else think this is a 2013 FJR? Note the limited cruise control and color

Obviously the FJR is not for him, so sell it already and move on. My response to this nonsense? No motorycle is right for everyone, this motorcycle is great for some (as seen by the fanatic following of it on the fjr forum...) and leaves some yearning for something else I guess. If its not right for you, find something that is and ride the piss out of it, and leave others to like what they want. Not sure why some want everyone else to like only what they like, and agree only with them. That would be boring.

I did think the FJR was top heavy when I first got on it, and pushed it around a garage. Then I rode it.

He does sound like a bit of a whiner and the FJR is not the right bike for him. He kept saying the RT was better in this and that, but he did not buy because of the reliability issues. In the end of the write-up he states an adventure bike may be the replacement for him but dropped it from consideration in the beginning of the article due to not enough protection from the elements and wind buffeting.

He wants a bike that does not exist. Regarding his emphasis of the FJR's higher COG, I believe we all know it and work with it. Only low speed maneuvers are an issue and the top-heaviness are virtually gone when rolling. He changed tires and seemed happier when using the BT-23 and Angel GTs but the Angels had poor tread life. He also commented about switching the preload from firm to soft, but that he had an electronic suspension bike - these two things are not consistent. If he adjusted the suspension correctly, he could have raised the back end by selecting 2up with luggage. This also provides a bit more ground clearance.

I question which version of bike he really rode and if he was actually knowledgeable in the adjustments on the bike...

Why post this here?

You've given what was a nut case's blog the exposure of being posted in a premier FJR site.

When did some idiot's blog become something that you need to respond to?

How do you plan to respond?

Just let it go. Life's too short to waste time with obvious bologne?

Why post this here?
You've given what was a nut case's blog the exposure of being posted in a premier FJR site.

When did some idiot's blog become something that you need to respond to?

How do you plan to respond?

Just let it go. Life's too short to waste time with obvious bologne?
I posted it because my brother, who is in the market for a new FJR, asked me. He was genuinely concerned that this review held water, in spite of my years of using the bike and many reviews that continually rank it as a high performer. The doubt this blogger raises is unwarranted and reflects the opinions of one guy.

My bro got a smaller bike this year (FJ7) to work up the the FJR after being out of bikes a number of years. For shit's sake, I'd be pretty concerned if someone compared the handling of a bike I was considering, to a Suzuki M109. It's the internet but this wack job published a pretty long, slanderous, error filled article that is apparently getting hits. You and I know it's obvious bologna, but I'd bet prospective buyers like my brother are not. I guess the answer is don't believe everything you read on the internet, only people who actually know this bike can discredit this idiot.

qanda_yawn.jpg

I posted it because my brother, who is in the market for a new FJR, asked me. He was genuinely concerned that this review held water, in spite of my years of using the bike and many reviews that continually rank it as a high performer.
If your brother is going to hang on that one review...then maybe he shouldn't get an FJR to begin with.

I wonder what actual PSI ranges he tried....amazingly in his overbaked opus he never did actually utter an actual value.

Blogger must be a 6' - 98 pound weakling...throttle spring stiff, can't squeeze brakes or clutch - seriously??? Dude needs to tour on a 150cc scooter, something more suitable for his skill level and strength.
tease.gif

--G

Must have had a really bad tire (tyre?) gauge. Probably riding around at 20 psi.
fool.gif

"The 1300cc engine is powerful and turbine smooth up to 4000rpm where it gets a mild buzz that you feel in the bars. I rarely exceed this rev point such is the amount of torque available"

This statement says it all for me. I can't believe he rides tight mountain roads at below 4k rpm. He missed riding the other half of the bike.

He really wants the RT, by all reports a good handling sport tourer...... as for top heavy, I'd like to give him a nice ST1300 with a full tank. I'd never raise the forks 30 mm and raise the rear, set the rear preload to hard while backing off the front to mush..... he has no clue what he's doing.

The place to respond to this is in whatever publication it appeared in............

TL;DR the article, the guy's a lame n00bie. I find my FJR w/ a wilbers out back, beefier fork springs, T30s (With air in 'em!) 'n Snoopy's raising links handles purdie darn good.
punk.gif

"The 1300cc engine is powerful and turbine smooth up to 4000rpm where it gets a mild buzz that you feel in the bars. I rarely exceed this rev point such is the amount of torque available"
This statement says it all for me. I can't believe he rides tight mountain roads at below 4k rpm. He missed riding the other half of the bike.
Yeah he needs a TBS too it sounds like; 4K 'n above is where my bike's happy.

The guy is an idiot.

Not revving above 4K RPM, like Hycle pointed out? Maybe he needs a Buick Roadmaster.

Wind protection is spot on? Well, I guess if he never gets above 4K RPM, maybe. But for me (and a few others), it's not very good.

And in one of his pictures, he's got the rear end jacked up using the rear brake caliper as his load point. Good luck with that.

As stated by all the superior people commenting before me, he's stupid, and maybe needs to take the bus, not a motorcycle.

Dude smokes weed. He imagines things to support his desire to tinker and replace. His bike, he's entitled to his opinions and his mods. I read his blog before I bought my fjr, when the blog was about a third as long. Most of the assertions are contrary to reality. Others might be factual and attributable to tires.

Tom, have your brother sign up here and stop reading nonsense. Haha...

As others have stated, this guy has a plethora of problems, and being a poor rider and mechanic is just scratching the surface. I also can't believe he doesn't run the bike above 4k. The day I bought my FJR, I ran it past 4k. I couldn't help it. Obviously, he has also never ridden an M109, because I have ridden two, and the steering is NOTHING alike.

Then, he starts adding and subtracting random heights? If that bike is FUBAR, it's because of his own doing. He should get a Vespa.

Tom, have your brother sign up here and stop reading nonsense. Haha...
As others have stated, this guy has a plethora of problems, and being a poor rider and mechanic is just scratching the surface. I also can't believe he doesn't run the bike above 4k. The day I bought my FJR, I ran it past 4k. I couldn't help it. Obviously, he has also never ridden an M109, because I have ridden two, and the steering is NOTHING alike.

Then, he starts adding and subtracting random heights? If that bike is FUBAR, it's because of his own doing. He should get a Vespa.
Hell, I cruise above 4000 RPM.

His setup on that bike is so messed up now, it would take some pretty strong effort to get it back to usable, or even safe. I think John is following along. Hopefully he will join.