Sena Owners- Advice Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slardy

Reaction score
OK, all you Sena owners. I am going to purchase the SMH10 to install in a full-face helmet. Do I purchase the universal microphone or the unit with the boom microphone? Which is best for the full-face helmet?

Slardy

Well, I've used the SMH-10 (pair) for over 3 years now, and always with the boom mics installed on a set of modular (flip-up) helmets.

I've lent out my wife's unit 4 or 5 times to other guys NOT using modular helmets [full face instead], and each time they have come away with a strong enough impression - they bought a Sena(!).

So, I think the booms are convenient, well made, and reliable, but you may have your own reasons for finding another configuration.

Cheers.

Just recently installed the SMH10 Dual Bluetooth into our helmets. Full face with boom mics. Works perfectly. Good xmission and reception and just a whisper of wind noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
My family and I have Senas on 10 helmets. Through different trials over the past few years we've settled on using the wired in microphone on full faces and the boom on modular. The wired in microphone is a cleaner fit. Love these Sena products.

The SMH10 is the Sena model that comes with the integral boom mike attached to the cradle. It can be used on pretty much any helmet, but it can be difficult to mount and position on some modular helmets like my Scorpion EXO-900. The SMH10-11 comes with the "universal" mount which includes both a boom mike that can be positioned separately from the cradle and a Velcro spot mount for use on the chin-bar of full face (non-modular) helmets. If you are going to be wearing a 3/4 helmet I would say the SMH10 would be a better choice, but for anything else the SMH10-11 will probably work better for you.

Thanks again, all. Just for your information, I have decided to install the Universal Mic, SMH10-11, in my full face helmet. Getting ready for spring
no.gif

Too late? I use the boom in my full-face hat, and people on the phone can rarely tell that I'm riding.

I used the boom mike with the speakers for quite a while with no problem on a full face. I changed the base to the one that allows you to plug in ear buds. It also lets you chose between boom mic and the one that is affixed to the inside of the chin. That is an improvement as it is completely out of the way.

I know you have made your decision but others may read this. My SMH10-11 says "universal" on the box. It came with BOTH microphones. The base does not allow you to plug in earbuds.

Latest posts