FJR in Europe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

15wannabe

Reaction score
Just spied the show across the pond. Specifically the Yamaha exhibit...it's a virtual tour. It takes some time and fiddling, but you will see the FJR ! Just visit Yamaha Europe

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wanting a 2016 with cruise, ES, and YCC-S. MCATrophy has pointed out that these models are available in the UK.

I've talked with my local Yamaha dealer, and his opinion is that it would be impossible to successfully import and register one.

No USA EPA certification for emissions, no USA DOT certification for street ability, no warranty support from Yamaha USA, etc...

I know there is a solid trade back and forth across the pond for vintage motorcycles. Has anyone had any success in bringing in a current model Euro Bike?

I was all over that issue like a bad rash and found out the same thing. Ain't gonna happen!
this.gif
cray.gif

Yea but.... what COLOR is it ????
They are not showing a 2016 model
Well now, better look closer and maybe bone up on your foreign language skills....https://www.allaguida.it/articolo/novita-yamaha-il-2016-le-novita-moto-le-piu-importanti-ad-eicma-2015-foto/115153/
Nevermind, I stand corrected...seems after doing a proper amount of research, there is no hide nor hair of a 2016 FJR ! Old age creeping up I guess.

Need to wait until they are 30 years old. Then Uncle Sam will allow you to import.

Too bad, most of these guys don't have 30 years....they're really old. :grin:

I have been wanting a 2016 with cruise, ES, and YCC-S. MCATrophy has pointed out that these models are available in the UK.
I've talked with my local Yamaha dealer, and his opinion is that it would be impossible to successfully import and register one.

No USA EPA certification for emissions, no USA DOT certification for street ability, no warranty support from Yamaha USA, etc...

I know there is a solid trade back and forth across the pond for vintage motorcycles. Has anyone had any success in bringing in a current model Euro Bike?
Me too. I'm wondering why Yamaha doesn't have the special-order program for the YCCS bikes like they had for the FJR's first few years in the US.

...I'm wondering why Yamaha doesn't have the special-order program for the YCCS bikes like they had for the FJR's first few years in the US.
BOOOOO -- HISSS, don't even think of going there (qualified opinion from a PDP Gen 1 owner)
smile.png

With the PDP program every FJR that was sold was going to be identical right down to the paint, they just wanted to bust the new owners balls. And, not repeat the sales disaster like they had with the GTS 1000 in '93/'94.

The YCCS is not the same as the standard FJR which causes pricing, parts stocking and assembly issues. When cookie-cutter bikes are made there is cost conserving volume purchasing, staged deliveries and standardized assembly which all cut costs. When you have a low volume specialty bike like the YCCS it becomes expensive to build and interferes with the flow of production. All the little bits like a second ECU (and software), wiring harnesses, mechanical assemblies and hydraulic plumbing add up and cause accountants to not sleep at night ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
And, your answer would be absolutely correct Alan, EXCEPT they still sell them in Europe. I can see they don't sell well here, but a special order program would make them an on-demand purchase, so no wasted time on sales floors.

Mechanics would have to keep up and some parts would need reasonable availibility, but they already have to do that for Europe, so adding the US, or every other market doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

Then again, maybe I'm talking out my ass and have no idea how difficult it would be.

And, your answer would be absolutely correct Alan, EXCEPT they still sell them in Europe. I can see they don't sell well here, but a special order program would make them an on-demand purchase, so no wasted time on sales floors.
Mechanics would have to keep up and some parts would need reasonable availibility, but they already have to do that for Europe, so adding the US, or every other market doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

Then again, maybe I'm talking out my ass and have no idea how difficult it would be.
I'm wondering if, because the YCCS is a different model, it would have to be EPA and California certified separately. That might make it expensive relative to the number of bikes they think they could sell here. The YCCS was not well-received here, although those of us who have them love them, and I would buy a new one to replace my 2006. I've been considering buying a British AS and shipping it over here. I'm not sure, but I think in California you can import a vehicle as used once it has around 7000 miles on it. Just noodling. I haven't been motivated enough to do the research.

A US version would need the differences that the US 'A' and 'ES' have compared with the Euro 'A' and 'AE' [which is the Euro nomenclature for the US 'ES']. I know the US variant requires more reflectors than the Euro, which is no biggy, but if something like a change in the wiring loom is needed it would require some significant investment.

Then there are manuals (workshop & owner's), possibly training sessions for the mechanics etc.

All for how many sales?

Anyway, if they were available in the US, I couldn't gloat about mine ;) .

Anyway, if they were available in the US, I couldn't gloat about mine
wink.png
I wouldn't mind if you continued to gloat
yes2.gif

We'd still all be jealous. You've had continuous access to the YCC-S model. We're now coming up on a 7 year drought.

I have to admit, I am wondering how the Honda DCT feature compares. I don't like the riding posture on the VFR 1200, but I might consider a test ride on one of the DCT models just for the comparison.

And then I can't help but wonder why Indian or Victory (same house really) don't come up with something. Aging baby boomers would seem to be their target market.

...I have to admit, I am wondering how the Honda DCT feature compares. I don't like the riding posture on the VFR 1200, but I might consider a test ride on one of the DCT models just for the comparison....
I've never tried the VFR, but I do know that the man who bought my 2010 (that I'd part-exchanged for my 2014) has tried the VFR, but preferred the egos of the FJR, or so my dealer told me. Probably the range comes into question as well. I know nothing else about his choice other than that he had had a wrist operation for carpal tunnel syndrome, so had good reason for the electric gear-change.

I've never tried the VFR, but I do know that the man who bought my 2010 (that I'd part-exchanged for my 2014) has tried the VFR, but preferred the egos of the FJR, or so my dealer told me. Probably the range comes into question as well. I know nothing else about his choice other than that he had had a wrist operation for carpal tunnel syndrome, so had good reason for the electric gear-change.
I too prefer the egos of the FJR. Especially Zilla's ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts