What do I look for in a (Canadian) 2007 FJR1300 ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FindingJohnsRide

Reaction score
Forum,

At age 67 (shortly to be retired and not quite as limber as I used to be) I'm considering an FJR1300 ABS as my next ride (primarily touring but with local "shopping" trips when I'm planning my next trip) and will be looking at a 2007 model (with 57,000kms / 36,000m) this weekend. I anticipate riding/keeping the bike for the next 8 years riding approx. 8,000km/5,000m per year. All my riding will be solo as my wife will NOT (bless her heart) get on the/a bike.

What should I look for in terms of maintenance requirements - what should have been done and what needs to be done? What are the "biggie" maintenance expenses I'll be looking at in the next 3-4 years? Is there a business case for buying a 2007 model and what depreciation might I see over the next 5-8 year

I have to have "2-wheeled" transport (it's in my blood and hair) and my options, as a repalcement for my 2009 Yamaha T-Max maxi scooter) are many and varied ... but I keep coming back to the FJR1300 as a candidate ride based on performance, touring comfort(?) and maintenance costs.

Since I live in Southern Ontario, my riding season is somewhat limited to May through October, if that makes any difference!

Your help, comments and advie would be very much appreciated.

FindingJohnsRide (FJR)

read the bin o facts..

Make sure any and all factory recalls have been done. I think there's a list of them here somewhere...

The bike is due for a valve clearance check, so if that has not been done, do it.

Other than that, pretty much the standard stuff for any bike with a few miles: brakes, tires, fluids etc.

These bikes, like most yammies, have a well-deserved reputation for durability.

Get a factory service manual.

You should be getting a good deal on a 7 y/o bike.

Someone with a 2007 will be along shortly to share info specific to that year.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on bluesdog's advice. Nothing other than the usual maintenance for most FJR's......... and giving it the once-over when you buy one. The 2006 and 7's had a lean surge issue and throttle effort that was a touch higher than other years. The effective fix was to install a Power Commander 5 which remaps the fuel injection, and do a 'throttle spring unwind' to fix the effort.

I have 115,000 kms on mine and it runs like a charm. Even though I'd like a new one, I'll likely keep it (unless you make me an offer I can't refuse).

Where are you in T.O., east or west? I assume you peeked in Auto Trader?

Hello from out west! My 08 has 114xxxkms. I have it listed here in the For Sale section. I am also open to offers. I can remove some of the farkles to even further reduce the price, or leave it as is and we can dicker? The add speakes for itself!

Mark

Check all the loom earthing "spiders" for corrosion, about the only weakness in the bike's design. Use a little corrosion inhibiter on these, and all other electrical connectors while you're at it.

Make sure the rear suspension stuff gets properly serviced (relay arm bushes etc). Easily ignored until it wears or even seizes.

Other than that, just normal stuff as others have said.

About 238,000 km on my '07. I have had a couple of (minor) electrical issues on mine - related to grounding. I was able to diagnose and fix these myself with a little help from guys on this forum. Other than that, I have replaced fork seals, a couple sets of brake pads, various bulbs and a lot of tires. Still even have the original battery! I also replaced the cam chain tensioner as a preventative maintenance - there were no symptoms or problems (issues were reported with the original version of the CCT). Wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the continent tomorrow (if the weather made that possible). As mentioned above, the off-idle throttle is a little "snatchy" on the early Gen II bikes. This can be improved with a Power Commander but I am currently running without any auxiliary fuel management devices - got used to it. If you want, I have a Power Commander III that I will sell cheap. As mentioned, make sure the recalls are up-to-date.

If you are at all mechanically inclined, this bike is easy to work on. Keep the routine maintenance up-to-date. Even with an eight year old bike, I don't think you should have to budget for extraordinary repair bills. There are FJR guys around who could probably help you with stuff like valve checks if you are not confident in your skills. Lots of good "How-tos" on this forum with photos and supporting text.

Last edited by a moderator:
(A little off topic)

Confirm with an Canadian 07 owner - immobilizer equipped?

If so, be sure to get the red (ecu programming) key.

-Steve

To all of you that so far have contributed your advice, comments and knowledge to my post .... thank you; you guys are the best and give me confidence in the FJR network and this site/forum. I know I'll have a zillion questions but it's great knowing there are a team of experts looking over my shoulder.

And to RaYzerman19 ........ I'm north of Toronto (half way to Barrie).

OK, so Newmarket-ish.... there's a few FJR's scattered around the GTA....... one day we'll hook up. Let us know how you make out.