Which fender extender?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeames

Reaction score
Curious which fender extenders you all prefer? I have a 2012 with 6400 miles on it. It's not brand new and I have concerns with the double-sided tap mounting on some of them maybe not working so hot on my non shiny new blemish free fender. I also live in the pacific NW so it gets wet. Any experiences?

Which thread should I respond to???

smile.png

Good luck with the install

What's with all these questions?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165869-which-fender-extender/

Yeah, you did but it is common. Sometimes it takes a little while to load a topic in and you went all tech rage and hit the post button two or twelve times.

No biggie. Welcome to the board. I have nothing to add with regard to the Fender Extender which is common to most of my non contributions to the forum, but it is friday and my kids are taking a test, so I am bored and it is Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use RTV silicone gasket maker, it will fill any voids, don't need to coat the whole thing, but get a little squeeze-out with a couple of woodworking clamps. Trim and wipe off any excess since the dried RTV is kinda hard to work with. Let sit overnight.

I didn't ask how to install one....

I asked which brands tend to be the favorite. Seems like some rivet on and other use double sided tape.

Bluesdog,

I looked at your link.

ABS cement looks like it works pretty good. No removing it tho...not ever. I suppose it's not likely to ever need to be removed.

don't know which one I used...I'm thinking the original Fenda extenda......anyhew I glued it on with PVC cement....cleaned the surfaces with sandpaper, applied purple primer, and glued it on,,, that was 8 years ago and I don't think you could rip it off....PVC cement and purple primer is available at any hardware store...

I didn't ask how to install one....I asked which brands tend to be the favorite. Seems like some rivet on and other use double sided tape.
I'd bet they are all pretty similar. At least, to my eye they look alike. The consensus seems to be that they all come with inadequate and/or ugly mounting methods, so many who purchase one or the other uses a good adhesive. I suspect the manufacturers supply those methods to avoid complaints from customers who may change their minds (?) and want to remove the item. Except those ugly screws would leave nearly as ugly holes
weirdsmiley.gif
I think using double sided tape would make for a weak and untrustworthy bond.

So, I think I bought a Pyramid one from an online vendor. It was inexpensive, looked OK and came with those self-tapping screws which are probably still in the little plastic bag somewhere. I used an automotive quality glue called GOOP. I've had satisfactory experience with it, and didn't happen to have any ABS at the time.

Removal of a glued on one would clearly be impossible, but then why would one wish to remove the thing? I guess I'd resort to using a saw if for some bizarre reason I wanted to shorten my fender back to OEM

As mcatrophy pointed out, Pyramid from any number of on-line retailers. Going against the collective, I drill through and use fancy stainless pan head allens, washers and nyloc nuts.

--G

As mcatrophy pointed out, Pyramid from any number of on-line retailers. Going against the collective, I drill through and use fancy stainless pan head allens, washers and nyloc nuts.
--G
I used ss screws, washers and nylock nuts on my first FJR after the supplied self-tappers failed to tighten adequately. But, with no glue, every time I went out in wet weather, I got dirty streaking from water forced through the gap. So I undid the screws, put in some silicon sealant, and did up the screws and nuts again.

On my 2nd and 3rd FJRs, I've simply glued, sanding the back of the mudguard (fender) and the mating surface of the extender then using a soft plastic specific glue.

Thank you to all who have contributed. You have verified my concerns and given me food for thought.

Considering the price difference between the Puig brand and the others I was unsure if I would be missing something by going with another brand. Sounds like there is little if any difference.

Thanks all!

A little late but I got the 3m tape one and glued it also. Its been on for a few months with a couple of day trip thrown in .

--G
<snip> I used ss screws, washers and nylock nuts on my first FJR after the supplied self-tappers failed to tighten adequately. But, with no glue, every time I went out in wet weather, I got dirty streaking from water forced through the gap. So I undid the screws, put in some silicon sealant, and did up the screws and nuts again.
Same deal with me up here in the PNWet. After measuring and drilling screw holes, I added a thin horseshoe shape bead of silicone to seal the gap!

--G

Check Ebay there is a seller in Tucker, GA selling carbon fibre fender extenders for $32.47 free shipping. I have the carbon fibre and like it. I used 3M carbon fibre adhesive backed film on the bib behind the front wheel and on the trim piece along the lower edge of the gas tank. Several other members have done the same. Perhaps some of the more savvy pic poster will post up some shots of this concept.

Last edited by a moderator: