MSR Fuel Bottle. FAIL!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I just noticed these things for sale in the Twisted Throttle (Canada) Sale posted today. It reminded me to put out a notice about this POS, which I meant to do after my ride to Spearfish in June. 30 ounces of gas won't get you too far, but I figured it might be nice to know I had it if I was running out looking for a gas station out in the Big Empty. And if it gave me ten miles, that's ten miles less walking in motorcycle boots. 20, if I wanted to get back to the bike.

So I bought one of these at REI.

msr-fuel-bottless_2013.jpg

Pretty expensive at around $20 for a little metal bottle, but hey, it was made for fuel, right? I guess I could have found a way to mount it upright, but it was supposed to be air/water/gas tight. So it laid over on its side and leaked gasoline all over whatever was in my tail bag--mostly stuff I didn't mind getting a little wet, since the bag is fabric, but man, gasoline is stinky. Luckily, REI is great on refunds, but take my advice. Save your money

I have used MSR fuel bottles for campstove fuel without any issues. Perhaps you got a bad one. Coleman fuel is a lot more volatile than gasoline and the bottle was often exposed to very warm temperatures while in the dry bag on my bike. Never a hint of a leak.

I have over 30k miles on a bike with two MSR bottles mounted to the outside of the panniers. Never a hint of a leak even when exposed to direct sunlight all day. That being said, I would never trust them, or any other container, inside a bag and on its side.

I think the trick is not to fill them so full that the contents can't expand in the heat.... never had a leak with mine inside the top box kinda leaning on it's side a bit. That said, I wouldn't trust them entirely if completely on their side.

I use one of these bottles for mixed 2-stroke gas for the chainsaw when I'm clearing trail. I have noticed that the exposure to gasoline affected the cap so using these bottles to carry gasoline is not ideal.

I believe MSR bottles come in at least two types; one for water and a second type for fuels.

There is a fill line on the inside, and the O-rings need replacing at times, and I always carried them upright, or nearly so.

... I guess I could have found a way to mount it upright, but it was supposed to be air/water/gas tight. So it laid over on its side and leaked gasoline all over whatever was in my tail bag--mostly stuff I didn't mind getting a little wet, since the bag is fabric, but man, gasoline is stinky. ...
This is completely understandable, Mike, and to be expected once past your prime. The old grip strength in the hands isn't what it used to be and eventually you're bound to run into the problems you describe here.
wink.png

... I guess I could have found a way to mount it upright, but it was supposed to be air/water/gas tight. So it laid over on its side and leaked gasoline all over whatever was in my tail bag--mostly stuff I didn't mind getting a little wet, since the bag is fabric, but man, gasoline is stinky. ...
This is completely understandable, Mike, and to be expected once past your prime. The old grip strength in the hands isn't what it used to be and eventually you're bound to run into the problems you describe here.
wink.png
Damnit all to hell Sam, stop picking on our SacramentoMike! JSNS, Mick's Special!

images-25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming down 550 in NM I kept watching my GPS, had it set on "Nearest Gas Station" and noticed they were all behind me. Kept hoping to see one in front of me but it wasn't happening. Gas gauge dropping lower and lower. The "Your Effed" thingy started flashing at me and it was almost looking like I wouldn't have enough to turn around and go back. Fortunately, a gas station popped up on the road that wasn't in the GPS.

I was sweating bullets for a bit, and an extra 10 miles might have been just the insurance I needed, but thankfully for that gas station I wouldn't have needed it.

wink.png
..and that might explain the satisfaction decrease in Mikes love life too?
flirt.gif

240 miles from Coldfoot, AK to Deadhorse, AK. Coldfoot has been known to run out of gas every now and then.

Of course, y'all have taken your full MSR bottle and run your tank to empty to see how far it goes...... I was told there was an old saying, never give up the opportunity to stop for a pee or gas.......... 'spoze you are allowed to fill up with a coupla bars showing? Just don't ride with the ST1300 guys who can go way further on a tank..........

400+ mile range, no spilling and doesn't take up space in any of my bags. It does negate the possibility of passengers though.

C2uirT.jpg