Latest MCN review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
Has everyone seen and read the latest MCN review of sport touring bikes? This time they look at the FJR, the BMW 1200 and an Aprilia. Long and short, the Yamaha wins overall and for long distance, the Aprilia for a few things, and the BMW for nothing! They rave about the smooth motor and overall power of our beloved FJR. All stuff we know. Surprising they dislike the BMW so much, but they do.

They don't even touch on the vastly better reliability and serviceability of the FJR compared to the Beemer and the Aprilia. For all of us DIY folks, that is a key factor.

To top if off, Dave Searle writes the most beautiful editor letter about the power of the stories we tell ourselves. And no, I do not work for the magazine! I respect the wisdom he shows in writing it, and the courage to publish a letter that challenges all of us to question our perspectives.

Just got it in the mail. I was surprised they dissed the Beemer, mainly through lack of mentioning it, then saying, basically, you don't get a lot for the high price. Great mag, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I can link to a copy of the current issue of the magazine. If someone else knows how, in a way that doesn't infringe their copyright, then that would be great.

As for the article itself, there are various other sport touring bikes not included in the comparison, but the key point here is that the only reason they included the FJR is that they used it as the GOLD standard. The Aprilia and Beemer are both new versions of those bikes. That they chose the FJR as this standard and not the Connie or Trophy or a Honda says something.

MCN is a totally subscriber supported magazine. No advertising. There are no "links" to the most current content on the MCN site unless you are a paid subscriber. If you want a free look, you will have to wait 5 months until the Dec issue is available for freebee viewing. You can go on the site now and view the July issue.

This review is the most pro-FJR article I believe I have ever read since becoming an FJR fan in 2008. I have read several articles over the years in various magazines that depend heavily on advertiser revenue, so their criticisms and reviews are always compromised and in my opinion, suspect.

Dave Searle (MCN Editor) says in the Testers Log about the 2015ES : "There is nothing really to complain about, it's super comfortable, especially for the long haul, and it's engine is super strong and smooth as butter." He went on to say that "For me, the FJR is almost too perfect....".

Nuff said.

I read the whole thing. It was fairly balanced, while being complimentary of the FJR. I had to laugh though- one of the reviewers characterized the seating position of the FJR as almost completely upright, and comfortable for hours. They must have totally redesigned the bike since the 2014. Mine came with a laid over, sportbike riding position that wasn't comfortable for 2 blocks. (all hail heli and mc peg lowering brackets). Good read. Joined MCN but it only recognizes me on iphone/app, not from any desktop.

Yeah, the riding position does feel upright and comfortable for hours if you've been out riding an R1. Not so great if you're coming from a cruiser or a dual sport style.

Well, the link was very nice ... thanks for sharing. It was good advertising for them too. I am motivated to order their magazine.

Damn that Bring Mor Wallet iz expensive! (Butt unreliable too!)

I read the whole thing. It was fairly balanced, while being complimentary of the FJR. I had to laugh though- one of the reviewers characterized the seating position of the FJR as almost completely upright, and comfortable for hours. They must have totally redesigned the bike since the 2014. Mine came with a laid over, sportbike riding position that wasn't comfortable for 2 blocks. (all hail heli and mc peg lowering brackets). Good read. Joined MCN but it only recognizes me on iphone/app, not from any desktop.
YMMV ~ Dunno, I got me the stock seat 'n bars, 'n I'm comfortable fer 'bout 10 hours.

I thought that was kind of a apples to oranges comparison, almost 3 different classes of street bikes. Petey should give us his evaluation of the FJR vs the R1200RS since he certainly seems to be enjoying his new ride.

Good article, thanks for the share, I even printed it out for easier reading....

Guess I'm curious how they had such issues with the transmission on the FJR....perhaps its a new bike with low miles and hasn't been broken in yet ? I think the FJR is very easy and smooth to shift, with as many people here that don't even clutch between 2nd to 5th I guess I just don't see where they had issues....

In fact it even seemed to me the Gen 3 got even better then the previous model years...

Good article, thanks for the share, I even printed it out for easier reading....
Guess I'm curious how they had such issues with the transmission on the FJR....perhaps its a new bike with low miles and hasn't been broken in yet ? I think the FJR is very easy and smooth to shift, with as many people here that don't even clutch between 2nd to 5th I guess I just don't see where they had issues....

In fact it even seemed to me the Gen 3 got even better then the previous model years...
Warp. I would agree that the test bike was fairly new. When I drove my new bike out of the dealer showroom last spring, I was shocked at how tight the tranny was...it was difficult to shift actually. But, I sorta know the mechanism needed time and distance to come around. Last time I went through a similar experience was with my '96 ST1100 . It's especially noticeable when yer coming off a well used machine.