Battery extraction

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto-rama

Reaction score
Maybe this is a well-discussed topic, and of course it's likely that someone has already suggested this method to remove the battery from the FJR with a minimum of swearing.

My OEM died yesterday, so I picked up a new Shorai battery and set to replacing the dead one.

After I had removed the body panel, and disconnected the power cables, it was obvious that grabbing it with my bare hands wasn't the ideal method.

So I looped 12" plastic cable ties through the terminals and secured them. This created 2 secure "handles" on either side of the battery.

I then was able to withdraw the battery without any drama at all.

Ok, time to go for a ride.

Note: The Shorai makes the bike feel just a little lighter.

Keep in mind that the Shorai uses pb/eq (lead equivalent) in its amp-hr rating and CCA. If you got the LFX1801-BS12, that puppy is only about 6 amp hours capacity. It conducts electricity well, and will crank the bike really well as long as temperatures are reasonably warm, but things go south quickly if you overload it or are in very cold conditions. They are improved from early versions, but I have one in a box to remind me of my mistake. Way more than you ever wanted to know here.

You posted this 3-times. Be sure to wait for the post action to complete or you will get duplicate threads and make Iggie mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll bite: What's wrong with just grabbing the battery body with your hands and pulling it out? That is how I have done it in the past.

Being a sealed AGM battery, It should not have any acid on the outside surface to worry about unless the case was cracked. Your tywrap or any piece of non-conductive cord (definitely not wire!) would make for a handy handle.

On the Gen III you can actually get your fingers under the inboard edge of the battery. It comes out with great ease once the battery cover, dash plastic and wiring is removed.

Maybe this is a well-discussed topic, and of course it's likely that someone has already suggested this method to remove the battery from the FJR with a minimum of swearing.
My OEM died yesterday, so I picked up a new Shorai battery and set to replacing the dead one.

After I had removed the body panel, and disconnected the power cables, it was obvious that grabbing it with my bare hands wasn't the ideal method.

So I looped 12" plastic cable ties through the terminals and secured them. This created 2 secure "handles" on either side of the battery.

I then was able to withdraw the battery without any drama at all.

Ok, time to go for a ride.

Note: The Shorai makes the bike feel just a little lighter.
If that was the OEM battery, it is time to upgrade to GenIII bike. You've already gone through the GenII area.