Stomach went out my back....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
I was riding with my daughter today, shes 12 and has logged thousands of miles. Well, in a moment of weakness I rolled the throttle on a few miles from the house and she said she hated it. It got her stomach like a roller coaster. " but you love roller coasters dear". She said it was different. Like it pulled her stomach out of her back. I couldnt do anything but laugh. Got to love the fjr.

Very cool that your daughter likes to ride with you. And a cute description of what that acceleration felt like to her. The FJR is certainly capable of moving internal organs around. Still, I'd heed her words. Wouldn't want her to become afraid of riding.

My daughters, all three, enjoyed riding. I was fortunate they could all wear a lot of the same gear. They enjoyed the hills and curves.

I used to teach MSF classes, and at one of our classes we were running a little over. A student's mother had shown up to take him home, but we weren't finished, and she needed to get to work. So I volunteered to take him home. I rode an FJ1200 at the time, and the next day he announced in class "My God that bike of Ed's is fast!"
rolleyes.gif

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="careyh" data-cid="1272085" data-time="1448149916"><p>

You had your 12 yr old on the bike and you rolled on the throttle ? Unbelievable !!!!!</p></blockquote>

And why is that? She's been riding since she was 8 and like I said, logged thousands of miles and yes I rolled the throttle numerous times in those years but this was particularly funny.

My oldest daughter who is now 23, will gladly take every G-force you throw at her, and always has. BTW... That's her riding pillion on my avatar pic. She was about 15 there and the photo was taken by Killboy on the Diamondback (NC-80 & BRP).

I'm a firm believer in teaching them to enjoy riding while understanding and deciding about their own levels of acceptable personal risk. That's why intercom systems were made!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only my daughter, but wife and grandson too. They love it when I rolled on the throttle, but I let them know ahead of time, so we can lean forward a bit.

I had my friends son (about 13 at the time) on the back of my old, 04 FJR. His son was a Hyabusa lover, blah Yamaha's....

He had his youngest (about 10) on the back of his BMW.

We stopped at a 4 way stop sign, both had our own lanes. Of course we both nailed it, my ft wheel came up about 10" in first gear.

Set it down and did it again in SECOND gear, (no clutching, just torque). His BMer wouldn't lift the nose W/O a hoist....

Needless to say, I got a "BIG thumbs up" in front of my visor. And no, I wasn't trying to wheelie, just the extra weight up and high.

He since changed his view about Yamaha's.... I think he had to change his shorts....
wink.png

My boy was about 10, mom asked how the ride was.Alright. Just alright? Yeah, he didn't even go 100.

Hey kid, man stuff. WTF? Keep it zipped.
I used to take my nieces and nephews riding all the time. One of them, Andrew, really loved the bike. However, any time we did something fun, he would rat me out. As in, he would walk in the door, walk straight to his mom and tell her exactly what we did with his own embellishment. Little turd...He's all grown up now. Haha...

Reminds me of the 1st time my bro took me for a ride on his '77 GS 750; when he wound that thing up, thought I wuz gonna fall off the back. I think at some point my legs were flopping in the breeze like a flag!

Reminds me of the 1st time my bro took me for a ride on his '77 GS 750; when he wound that thing up, thought I wuz gonna fall off the back. I think at some point my legs were flopping in the breeze like a flag!
While stopped at an intersection I told my brother to hold on. He says I am, I said hold on real good, he says I am. I got to see his feet flip up in the air as I left him lying in the middle of the intersection. Fortunately #1 there were no cars, fortunately #2 he wasn't hurt. I didn't recruit a new motorcyclist that day.

I took most of my nieces and nephews for rides when they were pre-teen. I always asked them if they wanted to "go fast" before I did anything that might scare them. Some said yes, some no. Their parents all trusted me to bring their kids back safe and I always did. Just this last summer I got to take my niece's son for a ride - that'd be a grand nephew, I guess. Yep, time to demonstrate the joy of motorcycles to another generation. I do enjoy that with the FJR sometimes you don't know the front wheel has come off the pavement until you feel it touch back down.