No Pad Numbers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DezzertRider

Reaction score
I have a 2004 FJR and I'm doing the valve check/adjustment. I have three shims that need to be replaced. When I pulled the caps off to get to the pads/shims, I found that there are no numbers on the them. Is this a common issue? The service manual states that the pads should have a number on them that you use as a reference for determining the new pad/shim size. I guess I'll have to purchase a micrometer to figure out what size they are. It's never easy!!!
no2.gif

A digital or simple vernier caliper is sufficient. The digital ones can be found quite cheap and are surprisingly accurate. You will find lots of uses for one.

They should have numbers on them. Look very carefully. They do tend to get partially worn off to a varying degree. I bought a cheap digital micrometer off Amazon a couple of years back.

They should have numbers on them. Look very carefully. They do tend to get partially worn off to a varying degree. ...
But sometimes people may sand them down a bit instead of replacing with thinner ones, so the number may have been removed. And would be wrong even if you could see it. Get a vernier calliper or equivalent.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

I found a number of intake shims either tight or marginal at a valve check last year (120,000 miles or so). Several of these were difficult or impossible to read - I measured them all anyway with a digital caliper. My local dealer did not have all of the required shims in stock so I ended out by sanding them on carbide paper to the middle of the range. I could have ordered the correct shims (at a price cheaper than the dealer's) but it would have meant waiting several days before re-assembly. I made sure I sanded the side with the numbers so there would be no confusion at the next check.

I also pulled all 8 intake shims at ~75 k miles when an adjustment was needed. I could tell that there had been numbers on the shims, but they were illegible. I used a (cheap) micrometer and converted the inch units to metric. Be aware that the factory shims come in .01mm increments, not just the ,05mm increments they list for replacements.

I ended up sanding all 8 of mine to where I wanted them using the same micrometer. Tedious, but it was better than waiting a week for 8 new shims, and those would not have been as accurately sized either.

I picked up a digital micrometer and found the shim sizes 1.85mm and 1.80 mm. I can reuse the 1.80mm shim to replace the 1.85. Now I just need a 1.75mm shim to replace the 1.80 mm. I will go ahead and order the shim because I decided to also go ahead and replace the CCT since I already have everything apart. I also need to order the o-rings for the water pipe pulled during disassembly.

Another source for shims is the service department at your dealership. They usually have an assortment of used shims from previous valve adjustments on customers bikes. It can be a good source for getting that I between size not available at the parts counter. Bring your $30 hardware store micrometer.

Brodie

🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
...., not just the ,05mm increments they list for replacements.
For the truly anal, with a little searching you can find .025mm replacement shims.
For the truly, truly anal (this guy) you can have infinite increments, limited only by your patience, supply of very fine sandpaper, and the skin thickness of your finger tips. ;)

I was able to set all of my intakes to the ideal 0.20 mm +/- .005 (spec range is .15 to .22). That bike is due for another check sometime next summer. It will be interesting to see how they have moved from there, if at all.

I doubt if my auto-store feeler gauges are anal accurate, so I'll just use the go / no go method and leave it at that.

A 2" length of masking tape will save your fingertips. Fold the tape so that it forms a tab with adhesive ears: _||_

Stick the ears to the shim, use the tab as a handle. Next thing is to get a very flat surface for backing the abrasive. Woodcraft has 8X10 granite surface plates for a really reasonable $37 -- you won't believe how handy a really flat surface can be in the garage. Not to mention how much fun they are to put in flat rate boxes at the post office...

Latest posts