My recent trip included 50 CC

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSaul

Reaction score
After missing 4 months of precious riding time due to knee surgery I swung the leg back over the fjeer and did a little ride of 250 miles to see how it felt. That ride led to me completing my first 50 cc. My biggest challenge was getting to San Diego. I rode through Fog, Freezing fog, then pleasant sun only to be replaced with rain with snow, then snow with 55 mph winds in Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. I had to hold up a night in Vaughn, NM as I grew concerned about being blown off the bike in the icy conditions.

I was able to make it to San Diego on 11/18/2015 stopped and got new tires just outside of San Diego by a gentleman named Carl that runs Coyotes. Great price and called to follow up on my tires and once again on my ride.

I stayed at a fellow IBA riders house and he was very gracious and hosted me and got me started on my route which included getting some pacific water and sand and getting me underway on I-8. Thanks again Reef.

I was very fortunate and followed a sports car that wanted to prove it was faster than my fjreer. I didn't want to hurt his feelings and was more than accommodating in stroking his ego all the way into California where he became prey to the CHIP who was waiting. Thanks again.

The ride through Arizona was uneventful and continued smooth and with great traffic flow all the way through New Mexico until El Paso. There were two separate care wrecks on I-10 that caused delays over an hour. Bright side is I took a conference call and no one even detected I was on my motorcycle in traffic (thanks technology).

Once clear of the traffic of El Paso it was the land of 80 mph limits as the speed went up the temperatures went down. I stopped for fuel, coffee, and warmer gear in Van Horn, Texas. Onward through the Republic of Texas..... I have navigated most of this state throughout my life and still amazed how I can let Garmin make me question routes I have driven for over 20 years. The latest Garmin update on my ZUMO thinks that you should avoid San Antonio with two lane roads. I made a call en-route and went with knowledge versus technology and came out just fine this time. Its all about time of day of when to avoid a city versus plowing straight throw. It was late so straight across 10 worked.

I have to admit the ride from San Antonio to Beaumont was very humbling. I have driven this route many times when i was stationed in San Antonio and this night it seemed even longer. I pushed through Houston around 4 in the morning which is just before the traffic starts to pick up. I made my way to Beaumont going over 1600 miles for the day. I stopped to get a fuel receipt to only have the pump freeze on the approving screen. I left to find another station not caring at this time if I paid fuel for the next guy or not at this of the morning. I found a shell that was open to only have to go in to get the receipt. (My new biggest pet peeve). Garmin took to me to a mythical place where my hotel was not. I cleared the entry and searched my phone for the address to find out it was 6 miles back the way I had already driven. My arrival here was not meet with a warm hotel attendant and will not list the name of the hotel as I have left my regards with the manager on a few items of concern for public safety. I sleep somewhere between 4 and 5 hours showered and got back it.

Traffic was very heavy leaving Beaumont and was just starting to pick up the pace when Garmin warned of a 3 hour traffic delay approaching in Louisiana. At this point I was somewhat distrusting of Garmin and thought I would wait it out especially since the detour it recommended was 3 hours longer...... After an hour or so of creeping along I made my way to the shoulder under the premise the fine would be less than burning up the clutch in this traffic. I was able to make it to the next exit which I found a route to I12 which I was headed to anyways. Well me and the other thousands of traffic dwellers took the same route through what was now peak traffic for Baton Rouge. I lost close to 2 hours with this delay/detour. I did a splash of gas and some rerouting as all of my planned fuel stops were now off. Onward....

Once rolling on I12 it rolled back onto I10 without incident on through Mississippi and Alabama. The night was really cooling off and I was surprised on the warmth of the tunnel in Mobile then again anytime over water it was warmer than over land. I was on a good pace and only had to stop for fuel so I thought. Just after getting past Pensacola lights and sirens everywhere bad car wreck ahead. I found an exit and fueled up and put warm gear back on. I had an extended conversation with a Florida Highway Patrol who is a fellow motorcyclist and very interested in my ride and he was stationed in San Diego for 25 years. I apologized for needing to end the conversion and got on the road again. I was good to go but needed one more fuel stop before Jacksonville to avoid pushing the motorcycle. I decided to fuel just the auxiliary tank as I do not have to unlock or remove the tank bag to get to it. I refueled in Lee, Florida and was feeling good as I proceeded to Jacksonville Beach.

I had been advised there was construction near the Beaches exit and that was correct. (There has been ongoing construction in this area for over 15 years). I took the correct exit only to be detoured back onto I95.... could it have been the blinding flood lights that had me miss the DUI challenge cones and my exit? Anyways I took the Butler Road exit and made my way to Jacksonville Beach. Of course the gas stations right by the beach are closed at 3:30 in the morning. There was a 24 hour Walgreens right at the beach pavilion. I bought something that was right at the counter to get my receipt and avoided too many questions in my full gear. The temperature was 20 degrees warmer on the coast than it had been over the land. I met my witness Ed Smith who was gracious enough to come out at 4 am to help me finish the ride. He took photos as I collected water and sand from the Atlantic. Needed additional witnesses or a police officer.... I looked up and saw a waffle house a block away. Ed and I went there and filled out the paperwork and obtained two other witnesses.

I ordered food, ate and headed to the hotel 3 miles away to really sleep for the first time in a few days. Apparently asking for a late checkout and putting a do not disturb on your door does not stop housekeeping from trying to retake your room. She first tried entering at 10:30 not so cool as I didn't get into bed until 6 am. Then she started calling the room at 12 while I was in the shower then began beating down the door at 12:15 where I answered her in the most pleasant voice of course and asked her to please honor my 1 pm requested checkout. I again spoke with a manager and now understand why this hotel is ran this way. I will not be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott at the Beaches (on Mayo Hospital campus) again and let them know that.

Time to enjoy the fact I am back in the area where friends and family are. Got to spend some time with my son and daughter in South Georgia before proceeding to Atlanta to stay the evening with some of my closest friends and their family.

I had planned to take it easy on the way home and break up the days so I wouldn't be riding late and in the cold......

I was fueling up right before I75 North of Atlanta and had just over 1200 miles to make it home. Got my receipt (Once again I had to go in and get a reprint) wrote down my mileage and off I went. I have to say of all the Saddle Sores I have done this may have been the smoothest. Aux tank lets me go over 300 miles but found out by butt is calibrated to about 275 miles. So I stopped somewhere after 275 but just before 300 miles for fuel and to prove my feet can work on ground again. Only traffic to speak of was through St. Louis just about rush hour time. Still good compared to my stops and delays outside of Baton Rouge. I made my way across I70 where somewhere before Kansas City I saw flashing lights in my mirrors that were for me. I honestly do not know how fast I was driving. The very nice Officer asked what my hurry was and apparently telling him I was cold and just wanted to get home or to a hotel in Kansas City was enough for him to give me a warning and tell me to ride safe.

Uneventful rest of the ride but just about an hour and half to go Nebraska reminded me that winter was there as the temperatures dropped to 25 degrees. Ladies and Gentlemen that is cold. I was wide awake but cold the last hour when I arrived. I got a receipt for fuel and headed home. It was nice to be put the bike in the garage and to stop riding for the night/morning.

I have to say the auxiliary tank I added makes these rides a heck of a lot easier, stopping once every 300 miles versus every 200 miles at best just saves time.

I am most likely done riding until April unless I can find another escape from here or Mother Nature decides to give us a break.

I accomplished several rides I had on my list: 50 cc, BB1500 and BBG. I added a couple of SS1000s as well as my total trip was over 5500 miles.

The very nice Officer asked what my hurry was and apparently telling him I was cold and just wanted to get home or to a hotel in Kansas City was enough for him to give me a warning and tell me to ride safe.
I'll have to remember that line :whistle:

Nice ride too!

Very nice! Congrats!

The San Antonio routing always baffles me also. I have taken both routes through and really do not have a preference.

Cold weather riding always seems to eat up more time, but Nebraska… nothing for you.

Jeepers Creepers that's sure is late in the year to try that kind of ride. My hats off to you. Congrats on pulling it off.

Lookin' forward to meeting you next July in CO.
smile.png

Damn...echoing TM ^^^^ late in the year for pulling off multiple IB certs!

Awesome ride, congrats on the achievement!

--G

Well, at least you weren't sweating your ass off riding across the south! Good job, a 50cc is on my list, just need to find the time to do it.

Wow, what a way to confirm a knee rehab! I'm nursing a banged up knee, but a wintertime 50 CC hasn't been on my radar. Kudos for the completion, especially the gutsy call to do it in mid November.