2015 Windshield Upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hi All:

Did some research and poked around a bit regarding a shield replacement on my new to me 2015. I have the Yamaha Touring Shield on my 06 currently and it works fine for the last 9 years. I have narrowed down my choices to:

Cee Bailey 21 or 23

V Stream 20 which is +3 over stock

Yamaha Touring which is +4 over stock

I am 5'6" and will be moving my Genmar bar risers to the 15. Stock seat on low. For those of you about my size, which shield do you have. I want to look over it most of the time but do like to put all the way up and look through on long highway jaunts.

Comparing to my 06, I think the +4 is the way to go which means the Yamaha Touring, but Cee Bailey has the reverse flip which can be +4 or +6 with the V Stream being only +3.

Thanks,

I'm 5'7", MV Motorrad bar riser, and seat in low, my experience...

I tried the Vstream N20308 and personally didn't care for it, it was fine down at the lowest setting but to raise it up only seemed to create more buffeting. Sold it. (Had one on my GenI and really liked it, not so much on the GenIII)

Used a CeeBailey's 21" for a while, which was a very good screen, worked well, but thought I'd try the Yamaha touring screen to see how it compared and have decided for me that it works as well, and looks the best on the bike, not that look is everything and have sold the CeeBailey screen.

CeeBailey's has 20% off & free shipping thru November 30th if you're leaning towards a Cee Bailey screen.

I have always used CeeBalieys but was given a Vstream last year to evalulate. The Vstream wins hands down for me!

Thanks. I was thinking the Yamaha touring has worked for me on my 06, but I also need look at materials. Are the V Stream and Cee Bailey better quality (scratch resistent) than the Yamaha? Thanks for the 20% tip too. Brings the cost down to $136 for the CB vs about $110 for the Yamaha.

I have a Yamaha touring shield. Works well, but I wish it were an inch or two taller (I'm 5'11"). Cee Bailey says at their website that the more upright angle of their shields "makes a shorter shield stand taller yet provides ample room between the shield and rider." Has this been other folks experience? Also, does the reverse curve on top the shield work to push air over the rider, as they claim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha touring is great. That's what I run 8 months a year. I run the largest Cee Bailey in the winter.

This was a useful thread for me. I appreciate the input. My wife has wanted to buy an FJR windshield for me as a Christmas present, and I was not aware of the Yamaha Touring model. That's a heck of a good price. The stock windshield is quite a bit more expensive, at least it is on MR Cycles web site.

So ... I had been thinking about a Cee Bailey, but I would nearly always rather have something OEM, so the Yamaha screen is on its way.

I have a Yamaha touring shield. Works well, but I wish it were an inch or two taller (I'm 5'11"). Cee Bailey says at their website that the more upright angle of their shields "makes a shorter shield stand taller yet provides ample room between the shield and rider." Has this been other folks experience? Also, does the reverse curve on top the shield work to push air over the rider, as they claim?
For me the Cee Bailey with the back flip worked the best of all the shields I've had. Mine was 4" higher and 2" wider than stock. I'm 5'8 and kept the shield in the low position most of the time. My .02

I was a fan of the CB shields for my three previous FJRs. I used a CB +2/+2 for summer and a +4/+3 for winter months.

For the '15, I didn't like the sizes offered by CB, didn't trust the Yamaha touring would work, so I went with the VStream Sport Touring size. Couldn't be happier with the coverage and lack of buffeting...so far I'm sold on it. Right now it's the only screen I have for year-around riding.

--G

FYI... the Yamaha Touring shield for 3rd Gens is made by National Cycle, manufacturers of the Vstream, so the material quality is even better than the OEM low shield. Thicker, polycarbonate, and has some groovy FJR etching on the side.

Take a look at my "3rd Gen Windshield Tuning" thread for something you might want to try with any of the larger shields.

'nother vote for the Yaammie [National Cycle] shield....8 years and nary a scratch. You gotta look at it too...some of the other shields are just plain fugly...

I am 5'8" and have seat on low also. The Yamaha touring one works great for me. I have a little Gn torso compared to the average guy. Screen all the way up. I can still see over it. Takes alway all the wind buff. All the way down I still get about 80% of the way be hitting me. That is compared to the stock one.

I think for a more accurate comparison for a given windshield, you really need to give your height and inseam length, so we can get an idea of how high you sit in the saddle. A windshield that might work for a 6 footer with a 33 inch inseam might not work so well for a 6 footer with a 30 inch inseam...

Good point. In addition to height and inseam, whether you ride ass-up or whether you've de-squidded the bike (as with your genmars) makes a big difference. If I rode with my chest touching the tank, even the OEM shield might be fine.

If I rode with my chest touching the tank, even the OEM shield might be fine.
I've been trying to figure out how to do this. I used to do it (50+ years ago on my S-90). I'd have my chest on that tank, and my feet on the rear pegs, and I'd be sailing along at 70 mph if the hill were long enough to allow it.

Sigh....

Low is good and even the stock windshield will be quiet and comfortable if you can get below it.

Nevertheless, it is very nice to sit up a bit and still find cockpit turbulence minimized. Three cheers for tall windshields!!

I've tried the Yamaha Touring and the V-Stream Sport Touring. My preference is for the V-Stream, although I'm about to switch to the Yamaha since my V-Stream is beat to hell after 20 K and getting more than my share of rocks kicked up at me. Considering trying the tallest V-Stream -- I think it's called the touring version. Anyone tried that one? I'm 5' 11 with a 32" inseam.

Ran a VStream on my '07 and went with the same for the '15. I have the "Sport Touring" version, which is the middle size for VStream. 32" inseam, 5'9", seat in high. The light smoke goes well with the bike and the build quality is excellent. Very little flutter at speed.

IMG_3766-L.jpg

Yamaha Touring shield for me. Zero complaints. Good looks. Good price. I used to run a Cee Bailey but it was like a barn door sometimes. The Yamaha Touring shield is just right. Stock shield sucks and Yamaha has to know that.

Latest posts