Kabuto Ibuki Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with all helmets it depends if it fits your head shape. I tried the Ibuki for about 1 1/2 hours (riding) but ended up with discomfort at the forehead. it's a bit to round for my head (have a Shoei head). Pretty loud but I have never worn a modular before, so it maybe normal for the type. Only other thing I did not care for was the drop down tinted visor was about 1/4-3/8" short for my liking. Interior was nice and the flip mechanism worked easily and smoothly. The venting I would classify as 'adequate'. It also has a ratchet chin strap. I have never used one before and it would take a bit to get used to it as I can feel it on the side of my neck. If it fits it would seem to be a good value.

Just used mine for the first time. I've always had Nolan's. This helmet is quieter and lighter in comparison. I have no complaints EXCEPT, it does not fit in the saddle bag...

I did not think to test this. I have a cable I use to lock my jacket to the the bike which I'm using now for the helmet (there is a extra D ring on the chin strap for this purpose).

The top vent moves more air then I've ever experienced. I'm happy with this purchase unfortunately they are being discontinued in this country.

Just used mine for the first time. I've always had Nolan's. This helmet is quieter and lighter in comparison. I have no complaints EXCEPT, it does not fit in the saddle bag...I did not think to test this. I have a cable I use to lock my jacket to the the bike which I'm using now for the helmet (there is a extra D ring on the chin strap for this purpose).

The top vent moves more air then I've ever experienced. I'm happy with this purchase unfortunately they are being discontinued in this country.
I have a size Large, which uses the biggest of the two shell sizes (used for L,XL,XXL). I am able to fit it it my saddle bag with no problem. Below is a photo showing the necessary orientation FYI.

IMG_20160602_100630_zpsdf4tsrpp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of folks over at the Concours Owners Group purchased and evaluated the Ibuki. Here's a link to the thread:

https://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=62162.0

My own experience thus far is very positive, but I want to point out a sizing issue that I experienced. First thing to note is that the Ibuki uses two shell sizes.. one for XS, S, M and the other for L,XL, XXL.

My measured head size is 58cm, and this is at the top end of a medium (57-58cm) per the Kabuto sizing chart cited on the Revzilla page, So, that's what I bought. I wanted a snug fit and the smallest shell size, but the Medium was just too tight even after wearing it many hours over the course of several days around the house. In addition the ear-pockets didn't line up with my ears!

I temporarily kept the Medium but bought a Large to compare against the Medium. The Large fit me better..not overly tight and the ear-pockets lined up perfectly with my ears (due, I suspect, to the larger shell size). Interesting that the Kabuto sizing chart stated Large as 59 - 60cm yet a tag on the helmet itself stated Large,58-59cm. So I really was right on the cusp of Medium and Large. If you're right between Medium and Large, you might want to try both as I did. I was able to return the size Medium to Revzilla by paying the $7.45 return shipping.

To get the Large to fit just a tad snugger , I purchased size Small cheekpads also from Revzilla. There are 6 different cheek pad sizes available to customize the fit and they are interchangeable between all the helmet sizes.

Oh, by the way, as Revzilla honors price matching, I paid $249 for the Ibuki.

Latest posts