Final Drive vent cap replacement.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQUEAL

Reaction score
Has anyone ever replaced the final drive vent? My dust cover has disappeared and now the vent is unprotected to rain and dirt. I have a replacement assembly and it is a press in fit. Has anyone ever removed and replaced this part? I could use some advice on install. Thanks.

Never done it myself, but I now of some who have accidentally removed theirs (the cap)... seems they are an interference fit and should snap right back on (I would assume if undamaged)..... have a look at what's left of the old one and see how the cap goes on and stays on. Might be a couple of dimples or something that goes into a groove...... in that case, just replace the cap.

This cap is attached on the vent ''cone'' by a spot welder.Try with a good plier carefully and not very hard to twist it left/right/left/right and up.I believe it will come out easy.This cap can break very easy from it's spot welder on the vent.Don't ask me how i know it..When you will install the new one you must be very carefull.Ηit it very carefully exactly in the center of the cap.You can use a small piece of wood like a pensil and a very light small hammer.Otherwise if you will hit it out of the center of the cap you will damage it,it will break again from the vent.Don't ask me again how i know it..I have destroy it two times...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new one to replace the old one also. Nothing wrong with the one that's in there it is just corroded and looks like shit. Maybe some day I will get around to attempting this replacement.

Dave

Mine accidentally this cap detached from its place when i did the maintenance in the splines.I didn't knew that you can find is as a spare part,so i tried to weld it with some epoxy ''Permatex'' high temp for metals.It worked,but i am thinking to replace it with a new one.I have never done this job and i don't know how easy is to pull out the vent cone from out and no need to open the final drive to do that job.Hope that no need to open it!

Becareful on the installation of the new one,it has a very little amount of weld and only in the centre of the cap for the reason that its housing it is very conical.

DON'T tap it AROUND of the cap but only in the CENTRE!If you tap it around you will break it from its welding for sure!

If you do that jobe before me or some other let us know how easy or difficult was...

Last edited by a moderator: