2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A taller 1st gear? Thumbs down to the 6 speed! Butt I do like the ides of a slipper clutch, though that'll make "backing it in" harder in the dirt.

I recon the silver lining here is; when all the wankers run out ta buy a "6 speed" (Gen 4?) the the gen 3s will be cheaper.
evil.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if they could just bring it out in the Black Cherry color again it could be time for a update. On 2nd thought I have only half worn out the 07 so finding a S-10 would be higher on my priority.

I'll bet a bunch of the got havewhinny 6 speed bum's here are already thinking about dumping their Gen III's.........
smile.png

Since ignatio killed the original thread... :insert pitchfork mob here: looks like they not only put in 6 speeds, but the tweeks suggest they've made them all matter. Which is something that has certainly been mauled many times. I'll certainly be looking forward to the reduced clutch pull though!

Since ignatio killed the original thread... :insert pitchfork mob here: lo
It's Ignacio with "c" :insert dumbass icon here: I've been here long enough that new model releases need a hand in keeping to a limited number of threads, so not to turn into an echo chamber clusterfuck.
wink.png

Personally, I like the evolutionary notes about the bike. The lighting options are promising. My other rig is a GTI with a "lighting package" and it will be interesting to see how they've done with the LEDs. I think the motorcycle/car industry is maturing nicely with the OEM options for enhanced photon delivery...although will imagine the LD set will still add on auxiliary options.

The 6th gear sounds like an overdrive and should be nice cruising. And I'm sure it will inspire many future NEPRT threads about MPG debates.
smile.png

And I admit I haven't had a slipper clutch before, but sounds like another add to a palette of refinements too that we'll come to love.

And the blue is interesting as it's yet another hue that seems different than 2005/2005.5 bass-bote-blue, 2006 i-don't-remember-what-we-called-that-blue-year-blue, and 2012 yet-a-third-FJR-blue-hue-OMG-blue. If it comes to North America maybe we call it the 2016 Bejeezuss-it's-yet-another-blue-that-is-harder-for-garauld-to-match-blue. Still the line of blue seems more interesting than the various silver/grays.

If they fiddled with things in the nose with lighting and a 6th speed then I'm going to imagine there's a bunch of other tweaks along the way that may become a pain for interchangeability between years, but I'm sure we'll cope. And there's probably more that wasn't in the article. Maybe it will become a "Gen 3b".

I wonder if they finally fixed the defective side stand.....

Same freakin seat though..... LOL

Looks nice.... I like that they finally put LED's on the bike front and rear,

Plus Adaptive cornering lights....

Far better implemented then the BMW whole moving housing bit, just waiting to fail....

2016-Yamaha-FJR1300-03.jpg

2016-Yamaha-FJR1300-ES-34.jpg

The big question is what did this do the the price?
Probably not much. As I detailed before the price of the FJR adjusted for inflation has remained fairly constant and not really related to enhancement announcements. I'll be doing an update once the U.S. model and price are announced.

THEY FINALLY COLOR MATCHED THE SIDE PANELS!!

I'm an '06 owner, so I'm a fan of the blue. I have to be honest, I like what they've done with most of the upgrades. However, it doesn't look like they've changed the engine casing at all to accommodate a sixth gear (just going by the pictures). This means they've narrowed up the original 5 speed cluster to make room for a 6th gear. Now, I'm sure those Japs are smart bastards and did their maths correctly, however, IMHO, now we're dealing with a less robust transmission.

For marketing reasons.

FOR SHAME.

I'm waiting for the professor and his wallet to chime in....