Rehab Gen1 Project

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehabgen1

Reaction score
Some have asked for the "before photos, so here is the first photo upload attempt (and yes, I read the posting on how). You can get the basics by my prior postings and I might hit a few of those again, sorry. I think anyone who truly enjoys riding, has the jones to do so again, and is of the limited "disposable" income bracket would be willing to try this. The original owner parked it in April of 2009, moved to Colorado 3yrs ago, and actually REPLACED it with something else 2 yrs ago(for Sturgis).

The tarp covering it finally blew away in pieces last Nov. and I realized what was beneath. Crying shame the bike sat so long you can still see the outline on the pavement. Here she is, almost as found.

https://s1380.photobucket.com/user/justjimagain/media/DSC_0013_zpszba6nyr9.jpg.html?filters[user]=144360027&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=13

I do have most of the vital bits not seen here. 2004 Gen 1 w/ABS, 25,616 miles till parked. Got the new battery in to find that out. I am changing the fluids and plugs. will spray lube the cylinders to hope for the rings to be initially usable and work it in 5th gear to spread that around a bit. I will be cleaning each injector and blowing out each of the fuel lines for insects, ect... My current aim is removing the rust from the tank and get the hardware to mount it (long pivot bolt across the back and 2 at the front end).

https://s1380.photobucket.com/user/justjimagain/media/DSC_0016_zps0nj0vb88.jpg.html?filters[user]=144360027&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=11

https://s1380.photobucket.com/user/justjimagain/media/DSC_0008_zpsq7oo3zpu.jpg.html?filters[user]=144360027&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=16

I have the scratched saddle bags, seat and tank that were inside the abandoned town house. I can see the ball mounts for his farkles and notice the aftermarket exhaust (Holeshot) and brake modulator. Trying to track down the D panel of the dash (with the hazard switch). Have replacement grips, new brake pads, filters ect. I'm looking forward to getting her up and running but know it could take time. She sat for 6, I can do it right over the next months and make it worth while. Could be mute if the engine internals are toast but I gotta try!

Photo assist:

(Use the string from the Direct link on Photobucket, and paste that into the image tool in the post editor.)

DSC_0013_zpszba6nyr9.jpg

DSC_0016_zps0nj0vb88.jpg

(Picture is upside-down, or at least looking into this space from the wrong direction. It's that way on Photobucket, not my fault....)

DSC_0008_zpsq7oo3zpu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree about the block-off plates, and the bike is due for valve clearance check anyway. That will give a good view of the cylinder head and cams. It's a perfect time to change the coolant and do all the maintenance required at this point.

Quite the project!

That gas tank is flat ugly. I'd hunt around for a good used tank and fuel pump once you get it running...might be less problems down the road. Just my $.02

Good luck!

--G

Have 5gal of Workshop Hero for the tank, the pic is the normally unseen inside front (lowered the cell phone in for the shot). Big thanks to Wfooshee for the assist!, And props to RogDeb for the panel. I will research this block off plates suggestion and I'm not sure on the valve and 25000 mile maint. is in my skill range. Likely will, as it is needed and gives opportunity to eyeball things further. Intimidated considering Intech's efforts on the upcoming lady bike debut! Keep the input coming and thanks again, glad to be here.

Check out Niehart's link above for block-off plate info. Adding the plates removes the PAIR system and cleans up the top of the valve cover.

--G

If you do get the courage to do the valve clearance check, then the rally daunting one is changing the cam chain tensioner. I don't consider myself much of a mechanic, but I was able to do the clearance check and CCT swap, and it makes a big difference on a Gen I bike. It sounds much worse than it is, and you might find someone that does not live too far away to coach you through it. It turns out to be a weekend project, and not so bad considering how deep you already are on this bike.

Take a look at those links. They really helped me figure out how to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are the valves are OK so you won't need to shim, thus no need to remove cams, thus no risk of jumping timing.... check can be done with existing tensioner. Then it's just a matter of tying off the chain on the crankshaft end and replacing the tensioner with a new one.

It is quite the project, mostly needing your time and elbow grease. That tank situation kinda sucks though.

Maybe in an earlier thread I missed...? Did you actually purchase this "abandoned" bike? If so, how much? Did you get a clear title with it? If you got it free or very cheap...SCORE! I doubt the bores will have deteriorated (cylinders are ceramic impregnated, correct?) and the top end is probably fine, too. What came out when you drained the crankcase? Pure oil with no condensate? Good luck with resurrecting "Lazurus"!

Sky, bottom line is clear title in hand from prior owner from out of state. Each state is different, convoluted and for obvious reasons designed to both protect from crooked activity and make sure the person seeking has a right to the vehicle in the first place. I like the name Lazarus and once it completes the rehab will likely name it such (right now a SHE due to ever present issues, sorry ladies). I digress.

I have gone through the process of checking with neighbors on both sides seeking input. Tracked down the owner of the town house that it was abandoned behind and discovered it was her son that moved away several years prior and had no plans to come back for it and had actually replaced it. Nothing free here. I assessed in my limited research and knowledge (here, and several of the same links thru my own digging), the extent of neglect and recovery to usable and offered $600 "as is", no tank, seat, bags or title. She contacted her son with the offer and countered to $1000 but noted/ provided the missing components. DEAL DONE. Project born and immediately moved under cover. Took a few months to get title in hand but used time to gather bits and pieces, track sources, ect. Time, weather, $$$, and ingenuity are all that remains.

Stated before, I had to get a battery just find mileage for the title work, 25,616 between two prev. owners. Actually found trhe original owners info and purchse date on the MICAPEAK registry by VIN, he had 40yrs riding background back in 2004 and was a professor at Auburn. Seems like a responcible owner for 2+yrs. Never met the second, but obviously not the same level of care. Seems like 10,000 miles by the time the first owner registered the bike on that site.

The bike as discovered had the original owners manual from factory and unopened tool kit (as seen in photo. I borrowed the manual for research prior to purchase and later had a set of keys made from the supplied info as I had no confidence for the originals after soo long. Not only did I eventually get the original sets, they still have the Yamaha key chain on one and the Dealership keychain on the other! Score.

I would not have thought of taking on this project had it not been an FJR1300! The chances are very good with fuel injection and shaft drive, ceramic cylinders, the missing componenets being indoors (wouldn't know it by that tank) for a good outcome. I figure if I can get it up and on the road again for an extra $1000 I should be a happy camper! Then the things everyone of you discover add up. Ordered FSM, gathered filters, plugs, pads, a battery tender (wow, what a location for that batt!), even cleaned out the shed behind the town house and found the lubes and one of the missing panels (thanks Rogdeb again for that lft one). The bolts for the tank are missing and the D panel on the dash as well. Hell, I don't even have a helmet again yet! Paycheck to paycheck, rehab will evolve like a phoenix and become my source of rehab from stress and monotony in return! In this case, rehab is not for quitters!

Rehab, apparently you have not yet drained the crankcase. In your humid climate, I would wonder if there had been some condensation and water in there. If so, that could be bad for the bottom end. I would refill with clean oil - maybe even diesel - and spin the engine over (kill switch on) for a bit to circulate clean fluids through, then drain thoroughly and refill with clean oil. Let the curious know what you find. Thanks! I also understand your thinking: if it weren't an FJR you would not have considered it. The Feej's reputation for toughness and durability is deserved. I ain't much of a betting man, but I'd wager 2 to 1 you'll be riding Ol' Laz come spring. I'd even bet the paint will clean up acceptably; I like NuFinish for that kind of work. I also think you offered about right and paid about right. You could part it out and triple your money. Good luck with the Rehab.

Latest posts