Dec. ride with ADV section

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
I have been disappointed lately. In 2013 and 2014 I was able to ride in all 12 months - a rarity here in Montana. I missed Nov. of 2015 - sustained cold temps that went to minus 10, four snows, street and driveway iced. Here when we get snow, it eventually turns to ice on the streets and is rutted. You do not want to try riding rutted ice, with front and rear wheels slipping both left and/or right. I digress. We've had a little warm snap, temps in the high 30s, even into the low 40s. My driveway and street melted out! Played hooky for three hours yesterday. Despite the far better weather protection and heated grips of the FJR, I opted for the V-Strom 1000: more suitable tires for uncertain surface conditions, and was already filthy as I had not cleaned it up after a late October gravel outing. The pavement was wet from roadside melt in places and there was some sand. I ran along "Old 91" which was superseded by I-15 in the '80s and crosses the Continental Divide at 5,900 feet, then cut over to Hwy. 41 by taking the maintained gravel "Burma Road" at Glen - about 25 miles that runs along the mostly frozen Big Hole River, past Notch Bottom and Pennington Bridge public accesses. I had my doubts. Only a few wet spots with no real mud, some light washboard, mostly easy going at 25 to 30 mph, met only three vehicles. The drivers seemed surprised. In fact, along the whole route, drivers seemed a little unbelieving: I was the only bike out yesterday. It's now getting dark around 5 p.m. so I hauled some ass through Twin Bridges and to Pipestone Pass - 6,800 feet - then took it easy on the ascent and descent, both wet and sandy but not freezing...yet. Was probably about 35 degrees when I rolled up to the garage. My toes were a little cold but everywhere else I was warm and comfortable, appropriately layered. The dried spray on my boots and leather pant lowers looked salty so the Strom got a quick hosing and toweling. It is nice to still be experiencing "motorcycling firsts" after 40 years of riding: this year a June SS 1000 with my bride, and now riding off-pavement in December. Hopefully, more to come!

I tend to (ab)use my Vstrom in the winter months too. But I'm not always diligent about washing off the salt spray, so some of the parts behind the front wheel are starting to get a little crusty from the road spray. Oh well... it's just a 'Strom. ;)

Fred, that's how I feel about the Strom, too: It's my "work truck," the one I don't really mind getting a little beat up, grungy. It is also my loaner, 12 years-old, only worth about $3K... It has scraped paint and crash bars, mirror... Been down five times (three times by me, two drops and one gravel crash 'n' slide), always on the right side! But a fundamentally good and versatile bike, surprising performance and really corners, cheap to own and operate. My last ride on the Strom was over the Pioneer Scenic Byway with its wonderful turns. I touched down both footpeg pavement feelers and used up ALL the chicken strips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've often thought that if I ever become a full timer, I'd have the old battle ax for day-to-day use - that one gets washed once a year whether it needs it or not.

Then I'd have the pretty girl that I play with on weekends and other occasions.

What a coincidence. 2 days ago I also took advantage of warmer weather.

I also left the FJR in the garage and opted for my adventure bike, a KLR.

I also road on old 91, paralleling I-15, but several hundred miles south of you.

I also headed off pavement on a dirt road that was in surprisingly good condition. As it gained altitude though i encountered wet/muddy/icy spots that started getting larger the further I went. Not a big fan of the slippery muck I eventually retreated and headed back down to the valley.

I intended to stop by the car wash and give the bike a spray down on the way home, but the sun was sinking lower and I was getting cold so I parked it with the dirt still on.

Maybe I'll clean it up next week. Forecast is snow and rain tonight and tomorrow.

Go ahead and get one. I mean why not? All the cool kids have one!

I picked mine up, a 2004, bone stock back in 2010 for pretty cheap. It had 36k miles on it (Whoa... high miles dude!) and it was demonstrating a couple of the well known "features" that DL1000's are known to have. After fixing the clutch chudder, idle hammer, and a TPS failure (same exact symptoms as 1str Gen FJRs), the bike has been as reliable as an FJR is, and you know what that means.

I probably have more money tied up into farkles and mods for the bike than I do in the bike itself. And the good news is I can transfer them all on to the next one I get if I ever wear this one out.

The original Gen Vees and Wees are really cheap now that the second gens have been out for a while. I like cheap, especially if I intend on taking a bike off road and drop it in the mud every now and then. ;)

I traded my 1000 DR for the FJR! It was a very capable bike and it really impressed me with it's twisty road handling quality! The only gripe I had was the buffeting which on highways was really a pain? I'm preparing the FJR for sale and am in the process of de-farkling over the winter and hope to sell in the spring. My new life's adventure is:

I traded my 1000 DR for the FJR! It was a very capable bike and it really impressed me with it's twisty road handling quality! The only gripe I had was the buffeting which on highways was really a pain? I'm preparing the FJR for sale and am in the process of de-farkling over the winter and hope to sell in the spring. My new life's adventure is:
A mystery???

Unless my computer filter is catching and blocking something

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a DR650 thumper to me. Have fun!

Not sure why you're selling the FJR though. Those bikes are apples and oranges.

PS - Vstrom buffeting on the highway is solved by a Givi Windshield and Madstad bracket.

PS - Vstrom buffeting on the highway is solved by a Givi Windshield and Madstad bracket.
I am 5'11" and for me the V-Strom buffeting on the highway was solved by just adding a MadStad bracket with the stock windshield.

I've found the best solution for V-strom buffeting on the highway is to stay off the friggen highway. ;)

I'm a bit taller than you (at 6'2") and I have a Russell seat under my butt, so I needed the taller Givi shield too. But I also have a cut down stock shield for the heat of summer and that with the Madstad is also very good..