Go While You Got The Chance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
The old people say that if you don't like the weather in the deep south, just wait a little while.

In December, that saying is certainly true. We can have temperatures ranging from 30 80, and other weather conditions can be just as varied.

This year, my University holiday break runs from December 21 through January 1. Maybe I would get a chance to do some camping on the motorcycle.

Uh...maybe not.

First, the family has me tied up at one function or another just about every day over the two week break.

And the long range weather forecast isn't looking good at all. Meanwhile, the current weather is beautiful. If I take off a day early (Friday), I can only camp one night because I have to go to Houston on Sunday and pick up my son at the airport.

A little voice in my head said:

"You better go while you got the chance."

So I listened to the voice and I had a ball!

I hope you enjoy the pics.

Day 1, Lafayette to Boykin Springs Campground, Zavalla, TX, about 400 miles.

I packed on Thursday night so I could leave early. Temperature is about 40 at day break, and I give the light about 15 more minutes before shoving off with the heated gear and grips turned on. About a half hour in, I've got to stop and re-position my new camping bag sitting on the pillion seat.

late%20than%20never1_zpsbtp4npmo.jpg

Another 30 minutes and I stop for gas and a cup of Joe in the town of DeQuincy, Louisina, known for it's Railroad Festival held every Spring.

late%20than%20never3_zpsmrvqqydj.jpg

Rotating my camping bag 90 degrees made a huge difference in comfort.

late%20than%20never2_zpswjz6dh7v.jpg

Already close to 50 degrees, I turn off the heat and run through the pine forest into Texas.

late%20than%20never4_zpskzxef8zt.jpg

Like any State, Texas is proud of it's history. There must be thousands of these road side historical marker signs. I stopped at a few along the way to learn something. Many of these are either cemeteries, or perhaps some kind of war marker.

late%20than%20never5_zpse4xdg08i.jpg

I found this one to be interesting.

late%20than%20never6_zpss8bxh04u.jpg

I thought the grass behind this church looked unseasonably dry.

late%20than%20never7_zpsxf3vqym1.jpg

I took Hwy 1414 to Burkeville, and then railed it up Hwy 87 to Hemphill. Both of these are wonderful FJR roads. A little further north, I pulled into Milam just in time for lunch.

late%20than%20never8_zpslvhmbueb.jpg

I've eaten here a few times before and you simply must order the fried catfish special. Their batter is very light and the fish must be fresh.

late%20than%20never9_zpsq4vht7qg.jpg

Dessert is always included in your meal and today, it is red velvet cake.

late%20than%20never10_zpsgkbig4k2.jpg

No pics, but just a programming note. When in Texas, order sweet iced tea with your meals. I'm not much of a tea drinker, but those Texans know how to brew up a nice batch.

After lunch, I rode Hwy 21 to San Augustine, then took Hwy 1277 southwest toward Sam Rayburn reservoir. The weather is absolutely gorgeous and I'm enjoying the nice fresh smell of the piney woods.

late%20than%20never11_zps6oigmlxp.jpg

My route has me going in and out of the Sabine and Angelina National Forest. Each patch of woods is bordered by plenty of cattle farming land.

late%20than%20never12_zpsz3j1ttya.jpg

Some roads are more curvy than others, but none are too technical for the FJR. Texas does a great job of maintaining their road system. I always enjoy riding there.

late%20than%20never13_zps5g8cy7ew.jpg

About 3:30 pm, I rolled into the Boykin Springs Recreational Area campground. I've camped here before and it is very nice. Today, this place is dead. There must be 100 sites at this campground, and including me, there might be only 10 utilized. This is going to be great!

late%20than%20never14_zpsvumbgvlg.jpg

After setting up my camp, I rode back to the station to pay my $6 fee. To get there, I have to ride across the Boykin Spring, but thankfully the water is very low.

late%20than%20never15_zpsd2kahwje.jpg

On the way back, I stopped to pick up some dry sticks for firewood.

late%20than%20never16_zpsix7whi9r.jpg

When I got back to the campground, things got dicey for a minute. Although the weather is dry now, this place has had plenty of rain lately and the ground is spongy in spots. I was having trouble finding ground hard enough to support the center stand of the bike. Wandering around, I managed to get the bike stuck in a rutt. Uh Lucie - You got some 'splaining to do...

I placed my firewood glove under the side stand to hold the bike. Then I walked to my closest neighbor about 100 yards away to ask for a push. They are a nice young couple and the lady is clearly a powder puff girl. However, she didn't pause for a second and they walked back to the bike. When I released the clutch with them behind me, the push got me out of the rutt. But in doing so, I sprayed Miss. Powder Puff with a very healthy dose of East Texas sandy clay. I was embarrassed and apologized profusely. She and her boyfriend laughed it off and I thanked them for the help.

No pictures of that from the site, but back home, you can see that the FJR does not make a very good dual sport.

IMG_1900_zpseettp2gd.jpg

Back in the campground, I gathered some more firewood and my camp saw made the chore very easy.

late%20than%20never17_zpsyu8ojt7b.jpg

There is still about 30 minutes of day light left, so I walked over to the lake to look around. But first, it is Happy Hour and I feel like a cocktail. Note my 48 ounce $0.35 ice chest.

late%20than%20never18_zpsuj9hmsru.jpg

The spring bridge is nice at the campground. I got a thing for bridges, man.

late%20than%20never19_zpsfaeda12d.jpg

The lake control structure is running nicely.

late%20than%20never20_zpsa7k8ejmi.jpg

I sat down at the lakeshore and listened to the birds a while. I am content to just sit in my peace.

late%20than%20never21_zpsoa0vr4rp.jpg

At dark, I mosied back to my camp and freshened up my tottie.

late%20than%20never22_zpshzswdalf.jpg

Then I lit the heater and sat down to think about the meaning of life.

late%20than%20never23_zpsekrzwa4t.jpg

Still full from lunch, I decided to put a can of soup on the fire coals and call it dinner.

late%20than%20never24_zpsluzis8q4.jpg

After dinner, I lit my pipe, poured myself another rye whiskey, and tended my fire in total silence. It was a very nice evening. I turned in about 9:30 to dream about the continuing adventure.

Day 2, Boykin Springs Recreational Area to Lafayette, LA, about 400 miles.

The temperature dropped about midnight and I had to get out of the bag to put on my long handles. Otherwise, it was a peaceful night and I woke up at my typical 5:30 am rested and excited.

I turned on the bike key to see 31 degrees. So I stoked up my fire and fixed myself a cup of coffee.

late%20than%20never25_zpskaulwpnd.jpg

In no hurry to go anywhere, I fixed a second cup of coffee and made a simple breakfast.

late%20than%20never26_zpsnadc3eze.jpg

I broke camp and left the site at about 8:30 and 35 degrees. I rode around Sam Rayburn reservoir scouting other campgrounds. I did find plenty of places that would work well during the Spring or Fall.

late%20than%20never27_zpsouy2hcqf.jpg

The weather is wonderful and I am really enjoying the day.

late%20than%20never28_zpskwwaxjjg.jpg

late%20than%20never29_zpsrier74st.jpg

I get a kick out of the post offices in these little one horse towns.

late%20than%20never30_zpsuu8zjnqb.jpg

I also enjoyed looking at the name of some of the ranches in these parts.

late%20than%20never31_zpshh1amudo.jpg

As you can see, I am in no rush to get home.

late%20than%20never32_zpsyhhndczt.jpg

Can you blame me?

late%20than%20never33_zpsj6nhwcnh.jpg

I ignored the No Trespassing sign at the head of this drive and walked a few hundred yards. I couldn't help myself. It's just looked so inviting.

late%20than%20never34_zpscxypguqv.jpg

My big red horse will keep an eye on things at the road for me.

late%20than%20never35_zps4srkgyre.jpg

In Center, Texas, I stopped for gas. All of these little towns have a square in the middle. The courthouse is always in the center of the square.

late%20than%20never38_zpspq0ggeas.jpg

There is also at least one bank. I like the architecture on this one.

late%20than%20never37_zpscx2zixhy.jpg

Here is a cool old school movie theatre that is still open.

late%20than%20never36_zpszigza9d3.jpg

I asked a nice lady to recommend a good lunch place. She asked me if I like Tex Mex. Heck yeah, I responded. So she pointed me here

late%20than%20never39_zpsrvg8cty7.jpg

This place has one of those menus where there are 120 choices, each with a number on it. I got confused, so when the waitress approached:

(Pants) "I cant find the menu number, but I want soft tacos with fajita beef, rice, and beans."

(Waitress) "Oh See Senore you want a number 63."

(Pants) "Well I'll be dammed - there it is, exactly what I asked for."

late%20than%20never40_zpshctyosew.jpg

After lunch, I geared up and did a little more of this.

late%20than%20never41_zpsg4opqtrx.jpg

And some of this.

late%20than%20never42_zpskwdftduu.jpg

I saw a few of these

late%20than%20never43_zpsnrjo6q5t.jpg

And plenty of these.

late%20than%20never44_zpstihdywmd.jpg

late%20than%20never45_zps1ebyjjlr.jpg

And a bunch of these.

late%20than%20never46_zpsl39moopl.jpg

And dont forget these.

late%20than%20never47_zpso6dlf0zb.jpg

I crossed into Louisiana over Toledo Bend Reservoir on the Pendleton Bridge. I stopped a couple of times in the Kistachie National forest.

late%20than%20never48_zpsvts2yyri.jpg

With the sun setting fast on these short days, I slabbed the last 70 miles to get home before dark.

All told, it was about 800 miles in 2 days. I had only myself for company and that was plenty enough. Truthfully, the solitude was very nice. Now the rain has started and there is no end in sight. Family and friends are starting to get into Christmas mode, and I fear there may not be another opportunity for a bike ride any time soon.

But that's ok. I got my chance, and I took it.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting. I'm stuck at home this week keeping an eye on a mother that just got home from the hospital, so I'm grounded. Enjoyed tagging along on this trip with ya today.

Gary

darksider #44

Glad you're back in the saddle and taking advantage of the late winter start. Looks like a good time. I drove around down that way years ago in a car and dearly want to go back on the bike.

It's in the 50s here but the bike is under a cover awaiting a seat. How was I supposed to know back in October when I contacted Laam that this December would be warm? Last year it had snowed several times by now and here I am in a t-shirt stringing lights!

Pants I always enjoy your prose and pix. It's eerie how other parts of the country look similar yet different to what you just experienced. I can hardly wait to make a ride there and enjoy, absorb, the area, in the truest Candy Butt Association mode possible.

Well done 'Pants, well done!

I love this part: ''Temperature is about 40 at day break, and I give the light about 15 more minutes before shoving off with the heated gear and grips turned on". HE HE Southern boys! Going to get me some of that heated gear too. Always injoy the virtual ride along. Thanks

Thanks for the vicarious thrills! I am stuck prepping my house for my Daughter and her family to move to while they get their feet under them. That and Christmas are keeping me out of the saddle.

Another great ride report. I plan on making a day of it Thursday. Supposed to be in the upper 70's. If it wasn't Christmas eve I might consider an overnight camping.

Thanks all for reading my report.

Neihart - I thought about one day proposing a riding tag game with post offices. I was thinking that the object of the game is to take a picture of your bike in front of the post office. The current tag would be any post office with first digit of the zipcode representing the last digit of the previous picture's zipcode. So as an example, if I post a picture with zip code 75958 (which I did), then to get the next tag, someone has to post a picture with an 8 as the first digit of the zipcode. Each tag picture is worth 1 point if it is less than 50 miles from home, 2 points if 50-100 miles, 3 points if 100-200 miles, and 4 points if over 200 miles. At the end of the year, the rider with the most points wins a T-shirt and more importantly, bragging rights. We could call it the zipcode game and I've never seen that anywhere before.

Gary - hope Mama is well for Christmas. Sick family at the holiday sucks, man.

John - this weather is truly unpredictable. It is going to get to 80 here today.

Pitts - I still use the paper maps. Guess I'm showing my age. I write to the States and they send them to me for free. The GPS is obviously very useful, but for the big picture, the paper map is easier for me.

DCarver - I do hope that one day we can share some miles together. You will have to ride the Street bike, though. As you can see, I don't think the FJR will work as a dual sport. Regardless, if you find your Candy Butt in this part of the country, I'd be honored to show you around. That goes for anyone else, too.

Poolboy - anything under 50 and I get chilly. Us Gulf Coasteners don't have that fur in our blood.

Majic - My insurance company totaled my crashed bike. The claim settlement was more than fair, IMO. They paid for my damaged accessories and allowed me to remove and keep the undamaged ones. The same dealership where I bought the crashed bike had a '14 with only 1400 miles on it. They basically accepted my insurance settlement and I was able to get back in the same "Lamm" saddle for virtually zero out of pocket expense. So other than a scar on my forearm, a little bit of thumb sucking from an ego hit, and some (hopefully) valuable lessons learned about paying the "F" attention to where I am riding - I'd say I came through the incident unscathed.

Skooter - you've been unusually quiet lately. I can't tell if I like it or not. You are due to fly through this area of the country. Redfish and I can plump you back up with our "gourmet" cuisine.

Steve - my kids are 24 and 20. The younger one still gets his mail here, but that's about it. Whoever said Empty Nest syndrome is hard needs to have their head examined. I like spending time with my adult children, but home privacy is a good thing.

Cheers!!

Nice RR!!! Looks like a nice area down there even for this time of year!! ;-)

And it's true: "you better go while you got the chance!"

Thanks, Pants! I'd like to go for a ride with you someday...Wait, I think I just did!

"Go while you got the chance" doesn't just apply to the near short-term.

I like to ride with a (very) small groups of friends but actually prefer just me and my wife...or even solo. You are one, like me, who evidently enjoys his own company...and a nice toddy at the end of the day.

I, too, found the FJR does not make for an ideal dual sport when I buried it to its belly in sand in New Mexico. Thank goodness my laughing brother was along to help me drag it sideways to more solid footing. But you demonstrate that the FJR is truly versatile, even a wood hauler.

We agree i think, that our small towns have far more charm than our metropolises.

Glad you are back on the road with another screaming red FJR. Thanks for taking me along for the ride (as I look out the window at the snow banks).

FJRFarrer - do consider a ride in the south during the cold months (relatively speaking). I'd be happy to show you around these parts.

Mark - that shadow picture is not too much of an exaggeration. My nickname is pretty original.

Big Sky - to coin a southern phrase, "You ain't whistling Dixie...."

Last month I turned 50. I just crashed my dream bike and, well.... let's just say things weren't too peachy. But I had faith, kept my situational awareness high, and got great support from friends. Things fell into my lap pretty easily, looking back.

Moreover, and at the risk of being redundant, I'm now 50. This morning, as I got out of bed, my lower back was a little torqued for the first couple of steps. I forgot where in the heck I put my favorite coffee mug. Whether I like it or not, "its" happening. The end is most assuredly closer than the beginning. That is not meant to be a morbid thought, even though it reads that way. Rather, my experiences over the past several months have caused me to really assess my priorities. All of a sudden, simple and petty grudges and animosities seem rather stupid. Aggravating day to day bullshit is hardly worth a second thought. I'm not very interested in details. My brain doesn't have the energy for it.

What I want to do is ride. I want to ride 25,000 miles in 2016. I want to feel the slight temperature inversions on my body as I roll down the highway. I want to smell the rain. I want to walk in a field of Spring wildflowers. I want to see no less than 5 new States from the seat of the motorcycle. I want to ride with friends and I also want to ride alone. I want to choose "Avoid the Fucking Interstate Slab of Concrete at all Costs" on the GPS. I want to eat lunch at local hole in the wall diners. I want to satisfy the curiosity of the bystander in the parking lot, and assure him that I am indeed having as much fun as it appears. I want to explore the 4-digit roads that connect towns with populations less than 2,000. I want to learn about post industrial age American history, dialects, and culture. I want to see our farmers working in their environment, teaching me where food comes from. I want to sit on the side of a railroad track and wait for a train. I want to lie down on a river bank and study highway bridges. I want to cook on an open fire and drink drip-brewed coffee at day break. I want to drink fermented grain in the evening. I want to walk in the woods. I want to listen to and watch birds.

I want to take pictures and write about my adventures.

I lived my first 45 years in a box, focused entirely on the future, be it 4 hours ahead or 14 years ahead. There was a time for that, but that time has passed. My kids are grown. My career is rounding 3rd and coming home. I don't care about climbing any ladders anymore. I don't give two shits about big fancy houses or pickup trucks.

I just want to ride.

You can bet your arse that I will be going whenever I have the chance.