Xmas-Eve Day Ride for BeemerDonS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
Well, we put the last minute Christmas-eve dealings on hold. We were supposed to go to our friends lunch party at the Inland Reef. Then, a visit after to Debbie's Sisters (family) party. Then (again) eventually, a more formal dinner at my sisters house. Full day!

ALL CANCELLED!, at least for Myself and Deb.

As for today, being the saddest Christmas-eve I can ever recall... Debbie spews out "Lets just cancel plans and go for a ride in honor of Don". I was floored, and actually had the hair on the back of my neck raise. I thought to myself, yeah...what a great idea!. There was also a bell going off as some spirit pushed 70F temps in to central NY. You can call it el'Nino, I think it was the el'Ballerina.

Debbie, who has only met Don one time at the last EOM in Lewisburg WV, was so impressed by him and his demeanor... took over and lead this day ride. First up, we had to make a sign. Didn't know what or how it should go, so I just let the marker go. Sorry if it looks like crap, and I know, I could of done better (as always).

Being a (really) last minute ride, we had no others to go, which means we did a couple of stops at friends houses so they could snap some images with both of us holding the sign. Our friends were all sadden by the news, of course they didn't know how great a guy Senior Pappa really was, but we told them!
smile.png
....just say'n
wink.png

20151224_1416590_zpssymeeac3.jpg

20151224_151454_zpst1qtt6jl.jpg

Our ride was pure ad-lib. We ended up going around Cayuga Lake, then back over to home based Seneca Lake. About 190 mi. With stops, made for the entire afternoon, right up to darkness.

20151224_164500_zpskk3ud0dr.jpg

20151224_164721_zps73eazppb.jpg

Towards the end of the day, we were clearly reminded of Don being along with us on this ride, as he showed us his big Irish white ass (AKA full moon) to us, every view now and on every road home. How appropriate
smile.png
(look just above bike, plus I did a zoomer below)

20151224_164155_zpsgjis9hzw.jpg

20151224_164246_zpsbqe7ivs4.jpg

20151224_164229_zpsjgcslitl.jpg

20151224_164205_zpsp5y30syn.jpg

We missed 2 events/parties that we were supposed to be at, who cares!. (we) Wouldn't have traded this day in for them in a lifetime, not a chance. We did eventually make it to my oldest Sisters house for dinner. It was a more formal setting, and as you can see... we made it before the dinner bell rang.

20151225_174142_zps8oqjquv3.jpg

I'm truly blessed to have met such great people in this sport, a lot have become real/true friends that I would go to war with. Yep, great great peeps, and times like this make me reflect back and appreciate them that much more.

------------------------

I want to purpose a group ride in his honor this spring or early summer. Being the East & West coasts are night and day, probably a couple separate tribute rides would be appropriate. A "merging" of both coasts tribute rides would be neat ,I'm sure we can work on this. I will volunteer for any duty of course, Debbie as well.

And in closing, as Pappa would say....... "Nuff Said!"
smile.png

Don_Stanley_zpsq44pt6hk.jpg

RIP Donald Stanley

KJ & Debbie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you KJ and Debbie, very nice ride report.

"I want to purpose a group ride in his honor this spring or early summer. Being the East & West coasts are night and day, probably a couple separate tribute rides would be appropriate. A "merging" of both coasts tribute rides would be neat ,I'm sure we can work on this."

Sounds like a great idea that we could pull off globally with all the friends Don has made around the world or as Pappa Chuey says...IN!

When I saw your report and noted that you were riding a K1600, I thought "Maybe there is hope over there on the k1600 forum that a few will acknowledge Don's passing."

I had posted the notice over there on the 23rd shortly after Tyler made us all aware.

Keep in mind, this was Beemer Don S, a man who rode BMWs for 46 years and a man who was very active in BMW MOA and AZ Beemers. A man who, like me, had to have a K1600 when they were first released... a fellow who's blood ran white and blue.

Don and I were among the few who defended BMWs on this site when the final drive failures were a major topic of ridicule and discussion.

I think this mutual affection for BMWs was what initially brought me to connect with Don.

Nevertheless, it is Don's FJR family that is showing its love. There are over 5000 views and over 200 posts here in the Tyler's initial thread.

There are 14 posts over on the K1600 forum, including the three from me ... the first to share Tyler's tragic news, the second after an hour or so, to jog people's memories and let them know specifically who Don Stanley was, and the third to share Brian Bole's information from AZ Beemers.

I think there have been maybe 3 or 4 posts from folks who actually knew him, and the other few were the usual "sorry for your loss ... wish I'd known him." Not to minimize the latter, but honestly....

I think this provides another data point for me in my great love affair with motorcycles. I have known since the day I took delivery on my K1600 in 2011 that I liked the FJR better.

I have thought that the FJR community was the more normal, more thoughtful, more sharing, and generally more collegial ... and now I know that this is true too.

RIP Don. I rode on Christmas Eve and thought about you too. KJ and Debbie did it up right.

Godspeed.

Glen

With the warm weather in PA I had already ridden to work that morning which is when I logged on and read the news of Don passing. I spent the rest of my shift feeling numb. Of course I took the long way home when I clocked out and after a stop at home went back out with Don on my mind.

Much like Debbie the only time Mona and I met him in person was at EOM and I feel a real sadness for that.

Let us know when a memorial ride is scheduled. If we can't for whatever reason join you that day in person we'll be sure to join in spirit.

Very nicely done KJ! I tried to like the post but I was told there was an error loading my like, or something to that effect. We only met Don once in Hunstville for CFR, and unfortunately never got a chance to spend any time with him, but judging by the posts on this forum, that was our loss. I was certain that it was some sort of uncool joke when I first saw the thread title from Tyler, and as I read on, I was appalled. Laura and I will certainly be a part of whatever tribute ride is proposed!

+1 on a beemerdons Memorial Ride. When you decide on a date, time, and mileage, Top_Speed1, let us know. We'll gather up some Forumites down thisaway to ride.

Please keep those of us who can only come in spirit informed, and do enjoy the ride, it's what he would have wanted.

Really appreciate all the BeemerDonS support.

I agree w El Toro, much more support over here on the FJR Forum, we all know (and so did Don) that this was not only the place to be, but the people to be with!

Mixed emotions abound
sad.png
With all of the warm Holiday family dealings and gatherings, it was sure "strange" to join-in on all the hoopla. Not sure how else to describe it. I do know Don is smiling down on all the love he has been getting, and that is a closing feeling in it's own.

----------------------

I will try to sync up a BeemerDonS remembrance ride this Spring or early Summer. I would like to get an East, (maybe MidW) and West Coast Weekend Ride.... all on the same weekend. Several things we can do/add to this, like maybe a Pappa Chuey toast w/ facetime (or videolink) between the coastal groups. Look for a thread from me in the late winter to start the conversations on how we all would want to do this. Of course the first couple of decisions will be WHO takes the reins for each group, and of course WHERE. TBC

Last edited by a moderator: