2016 Moonshine Lunch Run

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Moonshine Store Facebook page:

According to legend, the Dehl family moved from Pennsylvania to Clark County IL in the early 1850s. They named the area they settled Moonshine Prairie. (The Moonshine family was well-known in the Pennsylvania area they had left behind.) The Dehl family settled west of the current Moonshine Store and the Sharp family settled east of there. At one time, the store was just a room in a house. I don't know when a store building was finally built, but that Moonshine Store burned down in 1909. The existing building was erected in 1912.

In those days, cookies and candy were set out in glass-fronted counters: bulk items, like flour, sugar, and crackers were kept in barrels, while other items were displayed on shelves. A customer would hand the grocery clerk their "want list" and wait as the clerk gathered up the items needed.

In the 1920's, Lawrence Chapman owned the store. The upstairs was a large open room and, at Christmas time, Lawrence would host a community party, complete with a huge Christmas tree, popcorn, snacks, and a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus. The community would gather at the Moonshine Store on Saturday evenings for live entertainment. The Seaton family, who lived between Moonshine and Martinsville, were regular entertainers at Moonshine. They would bring their instruments and entertain the crowd as often as the roads would allow them to make the trip.

During the summer, the teenagers in the area - often as many as 100 of them - would gather in front of the Moonshine Store to play party games. This was the "hot spot" for teens during the late 20's but, by a decade later, there were very few who came to the store on Saturday nights.

The Williams family owned the store at the time of the 1953 fire, though I don't know when they bought it or sold it

Enid and Raymond Misner bought the Moonshine Store in 1964. Enid is the one who started frying hamburgers during the noon hour. Many of the "farm wives" in the community were now working away from home, so their husbands and farm hands were coming to Moonshine for lunch. Enid added hamburgers to the menu, which was primarily cold lunch-meat sandwiches: before long, the customers who came in for "the best burgers around" outnumbered those who came in for groceries.

Enid sold the Moonshine Store to Roy and Helen Tuttle in 1982. Helen and her crew continue to sell "the best burgers around" and people travel from all over the country to experience the Moonshine Store. The Moonshine Lunch Run (Terry Hammond started this event) continues to grow every year, bringing motorcyclists to town from places near and far, and it is now a multi-day event with the fire department and other local organizations involved in sponsoring various events.

This information about the Moonshine fire and the Moonshine Store was gathered from different sources, but primarily from the recollections of Florence Adkisson and Rose Penrod which they published in a booklet. Thank you to Iline Simpson for allowing me to borrow her copy of the booklet.

(The End)

Last edited by a moderator:
First week of registration over 200 riders have signed up.

More than a few of the usual suspects.
laugh.png

I'm a definite maybe for either the run from Louisville, KY to Benton, AR to Casey or the Indianapolis to Little Rock, AR to Casey. It depends on work scheduling and weather.

I'm a definite maybe for either the run from Louisville, KY to Benton, AR to Casey or the Indianapolis to Little Rock, AR to Casey. It depends on work scheduling and weather.
The weather for central Illinois in April?

Think we can guarantee that the weather will be........................................Unstable.

Gurock posted: I'm a definite maybe for either the run from Louisville, KY to Benton, AR to Casey or the Indianapolis to Little Rock, AR to Casey. It depends on work scheduling and weather.
For some of us, the Curt Gran means checking four different forecasts: Atlanta, Jackson, Memphis, and Springfield.

With 73 start locations the only issue should be. Which one?

I prefer the North to South,or South to North rides, when the weather fronts come they don't last as long, maybe, I hope, or I can just play that in my head and keep to going.

Think we can guarantee that the weather will be........................................Unstable.
Airboss, when did you relocate to AZ? You used to live in Pekin, IL didn't you?

Yes, Central Illinois weather is very unpredictable in April. Hoping I can make the long 3 hour ride this year.

Airboss, when did you relocate to AZ? You used to live in Pekin, IL didn't you?

Yes, Central Illinois weather is very unpredictable in April. Hoping I can make the long 3 hour ride this year.

Yes and Yes, I'm in Tucson now and no I didn't bring my snow shovel.

Snow blower broke. Had to do something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and Yes, I'm in Tucson now and no I didn't bring my snow shovel.
Snow blower broke. Had to do something.
I'm jealous. My wife tried to get us moved to the Phoenix area all last year, but no luck. I'm sick of these Illinois winters. I bought a new snow blower two winters ago so guess I'm here for awhile.

John thanks for posting up the history of the store.

NOW.

A Bit of Moonshine History

The Moonshine Lunch Run isn't your typical gathering of motorcycle riders. For starters, it happens in the middle of nowhere: Moonshine, Illinois, population 2. It happens at a place that's hard to find: unless you have the coordinates, GPS won't get you to Moonshine. It happens in early spring when the weather is usually cold or wet, and often both. It's never been and never will be a commercial event, so there are no sponsors to promote its existence.

Moonshine is a just bunch of people who like to ride motorcycles long distances – often thousands of miles – to be in the company of other people who like to do the same. And, in keeping with tradition, they have a hamburger. That's about it.

So how did this one–of–kind annual rider gathering get started? Riders can thank a one−of−a−kind long distance rider named Terry Hammond. Terry was a farmer from Casey, Illinois, who loved to rack up miles on a motorcycle. "When I'm riding around for 16 hours a day on a tractor," Terry said, "I'm dreaming of where I'm going to go on a motorcycle."

Back in 2004, Terry was looking ahead to spring planting and feeling a little down. Once farming started, motorcycling would end for him. The camaraderie with other riders he loved so much would have to wait until summer. But all those hours on a tractor gave him time to think, and Terry got an idea. He posted an invitation on a rider forum. If any riders cared to join him for lunch – in rural southeastern Illinois, in early spring – he was buying. His local friends thought the idea was crazy, but Terry knew there were riders who would "get it."

Jerry Wagner of Morganfield, Kentucky, was the first. He rode all the way from Kentucky. He went down half the gravel roads in Clark County before he finally found the place Terry wanted to meet, Moonshine Store. Jerry fessed up to Terry about getting lost. They shared a laugh, and then they got acquainted over Moonburgers. The Moonshine Lunch Run was born!

In 2005, Terry sent out the same invitation and more than 30 riders from 6 states showed up. The next year more than 400 riders from over a dozen states showed up. Year after year, word spread and the numbers grew.

Getting to Moonshine involves effort and commitment that people who have not ridden there don't always understand. One year, on the day before Moonshine, Terry received an email from a guy asking him to reschedule the event since the weather was so cold and wet. Terry replied that he would, but he didn't know what he would tell the 300 riders who already arrived from 29 states including Maine, Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona....

People who ride to Moonshine meet other riders who come on every kind of motorcycle out there. They see old friends and remember good times. They make friends and create new memories. Some sleep in tents, others in motel rooms. CMA Chapter #836 provides a "Blessing of the Bikes" and the people who ride them. Some riders enjoy an elephant ear sandwich, a sweet roll or two (or three), or a bowl of chili. All of them enjoy a Moonburger.

Moonshine isn't a competition, but there are some records out there. In 2008, Pete Rogers from Oasis, British Columbia, rode 2,196 miles for a Moonburger, so far the longest distance ridden to Moonshine. (Here is a picture of Pete's bike on the way.) In 2011, 1600 motorcycles and 1800 people showed up over a rain−soaked morning and sunny afternoon, and 2068 Moonburgers were served. In 2014, 3251 Moonburgers were served on a beautiful sunny day. Those are all records, too.

Terry conceived of the Moonshine Lunch Run as a fun event to bring riders together. Through his generous example, it also became a way of supporting worthy causes. Each year, participants donate many thousands of dollars that help people in crisis, support music education, provide hope for orphans and deliver crucial community services. This giving spirit continues the tradition that Terry started and that makes Moonshine unique.

Terry Hammond was a man of many, many words, but if you're still trying understand what Moonshine is all about, these few words of his may help: "If you don't make it to Moonshine,,, you ain't a Motorcycle Rider,,, you're just a Motorcycle Owner!!!"

Still not sure? Then ride your motorcycle to Moonshine. Ride there and you'll "get it."

I am less than 2 hours from Moonshine and unless in Austin for MotoGP, I will be there. Last year we got there late and did most of our socializing at the chili supper.